• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Depot Driver - Shifts

Status
Not open for further replies.

CR1

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
6
Location
Manchester
Good evening all,

Does anyone know what the shifts are like with Northern as a depot driver?

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,567
Depends on the depot, some have DO turns through the day other depots are only have night turns for fuelling/marshalling.
 

CR1

Member
Joined
27 Jun 2009
Messages
6
Location
Manchester
Hi
Thanks for response,

I underdstand its shifts Days / Nights, I think it may be 12hr shifts 3 on 3 off, just trying to find out if this is correct and if so what are start times?

Thanks
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,567
As I said it depends on which depot it is, a full sized TMD will be rolling possibly 3 shifts per day whereas a fuelling/cleaning depot will be mainly nocturnal booking on at say 18:30/19:00 depending when the first train is booked to arrive with a minimal skeleton staff during the day if trains visit during the day aswell.

12hr turns are unlikely with the safety critical nature of the job, the depots I visit regularly are around 8-9hr turns.
 

whoosh

Established Member
Joined
3 Sep 2008
Messages
1,894
I think it's all East Midlands Trains depot drivers at Neville Hill - they used to be Maintrain. I think there are some 12 hour shifts. Would be mostly nights moving trains through the washer, getting them fuelled, moving them in and out of maintenance sheds, and preparing them for service. Not as many shifts would be required during the day, mostly moving trains in and out of sheds, but there may be the odd train needing fuelling etc.
 

driver9000

Established Member
Joined
13 Jan 2008
Messages
4,567
Whoosh - there are Northern depot drivers at Neville Hill, vacancies were recently on their website
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top