• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Denmark payment company Nets outage on 21 May 2026

Status
Not open for further replies.

peteb

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2011
Messages
1,699
On Thursday morning, the payment company Nets experienced an outage affecting card payments, causing the majority of transactions to be rejected. The incident began around 9:00 AM. Peter Glüsing Pedersen, Head of Media Relations Nordics at Nets, stated that the cause of the problem has been identified and they are working to restore normal service...
Currently (21/05/2026, 1350) no cash machines working in Denmark nor card payments being taken. Hopefully rail companies will be lenient with those who don't carry cash (95% of Danes!).

Apparently, according to the retailer I just spoke to, Danes with a phone-pay app can still pay, but not by card, nor will their app work abroad. Meanwhile no foreigners in Denmark are able to pay by card at present.....!!
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Currently (21/05/2026, 1350) no cash machines working in Denmark nor card payments being taken. Hopefully rail companies will be lenient with those who don't carry cash (95% of Danes!).

There doesn’t seem to be anything on DSB’s own site, despite some of their ticketing options apparently being affected. Maybe they are just leaving it to the general media to tell everybody that they are all…
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
I can't remember the last time that all the cash in a country suddenly stopped working without any warning.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,832
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I can't remember the last time that all the cash in a country suddenly stopped working without any warning.

Unless you walk around with a grand in your pocket (risky) so you'd definitely have the cash you needed for any possible purchase, the cash machines would also have been an issue.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
Unless you walk around with a grand in your pocket (risky) so you'd definitely have the cash you needed for any possible purchase, the cash machines would also have been an issue.

Well that rather depends on what I need to do while card payments are down.

I don't need a vast amount of money in my pocket to be able to get myself lunch rather than having to go hungry until I get home.

Or maybe I can't get home either because I don't have any money for the train.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
It appears to have been working again around 16.00 (local time), but there were a number of ‘aftershock’ problems over the next hour or so. (‘Aftershock‘ was used as Denmark suffered a minor earthquake yesterday, but there doesn’t seem to be a connection.) Not everywhere appears to have suffered: the Storebælt Link had an alternative system that could be started up quickly.
 

Gloster

Veteran Member
Joined
4 Sep 2020
Messages
13,044
Location
Up the creek
Is Denmark like Switzerland in most transactions going via one merchant processor rather than a range of different ones as is the case in the UK?

It looks as though a company called Nets, or its Danish subsidiary, is either the main or the sole processor of card transactions in the country. However, I don’t understand the system as I am an habitual cash payer.
 
Joined
1 Feb 2018
Messages
132
Ah sorry misread the post! Woops! But some shops just closed in that case as they couldn't put stuff through the register or log the stock out (no power = no systems). Most shops were happy to take cash though. In fact, if there's a European country where card payments all fail, Spain is one of the countries where cash is still widely used as it's common here for people to get let's say... Cash discounts... No need to declare any sales to the authorities and skip the tax
 

andersj

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2021
Messages
107
Location
Denmark
The central bank of Denmark (Danmarks Nationalbank) recommends that every person hold 250 DKK (29£) in cash for emergencies, preferably in coins and small notes. That's in addition to the 72 hour supplies of food, water and other necessities you are recommended to have in stock at home.
 

AdamWW

Established Member
Joined
6 Nov 2012
Messages
6,022
Ah sorry misread the post! Woops! But some shops just closed in that case as they couldn't put stuff through the register or log the stock out (no power = no systems). Most shops were happy to take cash though.

I did guess and looking back I realise that my response was rather rude, particularly since the attempt at humour in the way I wrote my original comment made it very easy to misread.

My apologies.
 
Joined
1 Feb 2018
Messages
132
I did guess and looking back I realise that my response was rather rude, particularly since the attempt at humour in the way I wrote my original comment made it very easy to misread.

My apologies.
No danger, offense is taken not given!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top