trainophile
Established Member
Here's the scenario: On Tuesday 6th October we arrived at Hereford station to find our booked 09:02 was running late, and it subsequently arrived at Newport at 10:09. However we'd been permitted to board the (also late running) 08:44, which got us to Newport in plenty of time for our onward booked 10:13 to Exeter St Davids. The minimum connection time at Newport is 5 minutes, so theoretically not long enough to connect (albeit cross platform) off the 09:02 onto the GWR, although I can't imagine anyone not managing it in 4 minutes, but that's by the by.
We were then subsequently delayed/terminated at Bristol Temple Meads due to a "person hit by train"
, which turned out to delay everything southbound by a couple of hours. We eventually squeezed onto the 13:45 XC to Newton Abbot (there was a 12:45 but is was unboardable as totally rammed, understandably after such a long delay), and arrived in Paignton exactly two hours later than our original itinerary. We were assuming ticket acceptance on the XC due to the major disruption and nobody questioned us.
Our tickets were Advances from Hereford to Exeter and Off Peak Singles from Exeter to Paignton.
Journey was HFD-NWP
NWP-BRI arriving 10:52
BRI-NTA departing 13:45 arriving 15:08
NTA-PGN departing 15:26 arriving 15:42
I don't like to claim at all in the circumstances but it did rather mess up the start of our break, so I was about to claim from GWR as it was on their leg that the significant delay occurred, but I'm now wondering whether they will tell me to claim from TfW even though they were not responsible for our delay. Should I put a claim in to GWR and see what happens?
We were then subsequently delayed/terminated at Bristol Temple Meads due to a "person hit by train"
Our tickets were Advances from Hereford to Exeter and Off Peak Singles from Exeter to Paignton.
Journey was HFD-NWP
NWP-BRI arriving 10:52
BRI-NTA departing 13:45 arriving 15:08
NTA-PGN departing 15:26 arriving 15:42
I don't like to claim at all in the circumstances but it did rather mess up the start of our break, so I was about to claim from GWR as it was on their leg that the significant delay occurred, but I'm now wondering whether they will tell me to claim from TfW even though they were not responsible for our delay. Should I put a claim in to GWR and see what happens?