MCR247
Established Member
- Joined
- 7 Nov 2008
- Messages
- 10,292
You are going to lose so many passengers if you do that.
tbtc - The overcrowding on the PNZ-WAT service yesterday seemed to be (at least as far as Exeter) as a result of the preceding 0940 Arriva XC service not running yesterday. Additionally, with the reduced service FGW were running as a result of the Reading closure yesterday, I am guessing (and I don't know this) that there must have been spare HSTs somewhere yesterday. I'm sure there was an HST set at Eastern Green, Penzance as we set off - this might have been diagrammed later, of course. If the Arriva service had run, or a relief HST had run from Penzance to Bristol TM taking most of the "local" passengers, I think my overcrowding experience would not have happened.
You are going to lose so many passengers if you do that.
It's an open question (I'm trying not to prejudice) - should XC concentrate on:
3. The "Core" (ignore Aberdeen/ Penzance etc)
Are the passengers doing journeys of over 200 miles more important than the ones doing journeys of 100 miles?
It's an open question (I'm trying not to prejudice) - should XC concentrate on:
1. Long distance flows (200 miles +)
2. Journeys closer to an hour in duration
3. The "Core" (ignore Aberdeen/ Penzance etc)
...because they can't manage all three right now
should XC concentrate on:
1. Long distance flows (200 miles +)
2. Journeys closer to an hour in duration
3. The "Core" (ignore Aberdeen/ Penzance etc)
...because they can't manage all three right now
No, but passengers don't like changing.
The crux of the matter. The discussion about Sheffield - Leeds only proves the point, because it sounds like XC have done a lot of work changing diagrams ad trying to reroute services for a traffic flow which on paper should be nothing to do with them anyway.
If Sheffield - Leeds, and Derby - Birmingham and that sort of short working is where XC get the bulk of their traffic, is there any point in running to extremities for what is a minority of passengers? I absolutely get the point that currently he most northern and southern extensions happen in dead time, but with a recast timetable these would be eliminated, freeing sets up to be doubled on the core. If thats where the bulk of the XC punters want the capacity, shouldn't they provide it?
And no, passengers don't like changing trains. But in a world of so many family priced tickets being advance and therefore with mandatory reservations, its less of an issue.
No, but passengers don't like changing.

If you build more EMUs why not turn over Birmingham - Manchester to EMUs? A 4 car 350 has more seats than a 5 car 221. Electrify Coventry - Bassingstoke and you have an EMU service. But then if you must build new trains get the voyagers away from virgin and get emus on the route.
I am sure if this proposal takes off 5 & 6 car trains for XC would be fine most of the time. Not sure if the 4 car sets could be increased to 6 with an unpowered coach and pantograph coach.
THis dislike of changing things is obviously a British thing, probably caused by an inherent laziness, as the average British passenger wants a train to run direct to every station they he will ever choose to travel to, even if he only uses it once !![]()
I don't think it is fair to blame 'laziness'. Many passengers are genuinely scared of changing trains, worried about missing connections, getting all their bags off the train before it leaves. They then have the hassle of dragging bags around what are often confusing and inaccessible interchange stations. And the inconvenience of waiting on cold, drafty platforms with poor quality and overpriced catering options. I accept that some of these things have improved in recent years, but still, through trains do still provide a great deal of convenience.
Can we not arrange services so that those prepared to pay for it can pay for "reservation only" trains and be guaranteed a seat - perhaps basically a first class train. Those not prepared or able to pay for it could catch non-reservation only trains? FGW used to have this arrangement on Summer Saturdays and busy periods... is it really too difficult to bring back? Plenty of European rail operators do it, I understand.
Point taken but using interchange stations does not seem to be a problem for our European partners.I don't think it is fair to blame 'laziness'. Many passengers are genuinely scared of changing trains, worried about missing connections, getting all their bags off the train before it leaves. They then have the hassle of dragging bags around what are often confusing and inaccessible interchange stations. And the inconvenience of waiting on cold, drafty platforms with poor quality and overpriced catering options. I accept that some of these things have improved in recent years, but still, through trains do still provide a great deal of convenience.
Point taken but using interchange stations does not seem to be a problem for our European partners.
Point taken but using interchange stations does not seem to be a problem for our European partners.
One trouble is that Voyagers are going to be getting on for a third/ a half of the way through their "life expectancy" before any additional coaches get built - would this affect the centre coaches? Would the ROSCO be wary of building a coach for a unit that may only last another fifteen/twenty years (rather than building a coach that will be used for another thirty years)?
I presume we will be hearing the engagement announcement later on in the week ?Traveling back on the delayed 17:12 XC service to Edinburgh which is currently 66 minutes late (due to a frozen point outside Stoke we've been informed).
But at least the XC service is an 11 car HST set.
I'm currently sat in coach F and have a table all to myself.
This makes up for the horrible journey that I endured in both directions the other day.

the XC service is an 11 car HST set