• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay when substituting the end of the journey with PlusBus

Status
Not open for further replies.

railpigeon

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2024
Messages
47
Location
Oxford
Yesterday I had an Advance ticket from Reading to Paignton, with a Torbay Plusbus.

The service arrived into Newton Abbot 18 mins late at 2149, missing my intended connection by three minutes. The next Paignton train was 2237.

The Torbay plusBus area covers not only Paignton and Brixham, but also Newton Abbot.

A number 12 Stagecoach bus links Newton Abbot, Torquay, Paignton and Brixham.

Now, an hour in the number 12 on a wet Friday night in February is nobody’s idea of fun. But by dashing at NTA from the platform to the bus stop I just made it onto a number 12 from Newton Abbot, taking me past the Rail and bus stations in Paignton (they are adjacent) and on to Brixham.

What do I claim through delay repay?

My bus passed through Paignton bus station at about 2240, so about 40 mins later than my intended train.

The 2237 from NTA reached PGN at 2252, 52 mins later than my intended train.

What do I claim on delay repay?

A) 18 mins late at NTA?
B) 40 mins late at Paignton, when the bus actually reached Paignton?
C) 52 minutes delay, for the train GWR suggested I catch (having not held my intended connection for me)?
D) Claim nothing, because they might get picky about ‘break of journey’.

(Part D opens up an interesting digression, doesn’t it, on the basis that I had two valid ways of getting from NTA to PGN! Worth noting that’s NTA the Advance ticket opened the barriers without problem.)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,730
Location
Slade Green
I would make a claim, giving them the information they ask for, which typically just includes your intended journey.

They normally also ask how long your delay was: that'll be the difference between your scheduled and actual arrival time in Paignton.

They might well overpay, as they tend to ignore the information you give them about the length of the delay, but that's nothing for you to worry about. They can explain that to whoever audits their delay repay scheme.
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Had your train been on time then you would have caught it and have every intention of doing so. It was only because of the delay you got the bus from Newton Abbot.

As it happens the bus got you to your final rail destination 40 minutes late thus entitling you to 30 minutes delay repay. Had you have waited for the next train you would have got to your final rail destination 52 minutes late thus also entitling you to 30 minutes delay repay.

I would therefore claim 30 minutes delay repay personally.

Had the train been on time would you have caught an earlier bus to your final destination and arrived earlier? Likewise had you not have caught the bus from Newton Abbot would you have arrived at your final bus destination later then you did?
 

railpigeon

Member
Joined
23 Oct 2024
Messages
47
Location
Oxford
Had my arrival into NTA been on time I couldn’t have caught an earlier bus (they are half-hourly by evening time).

Nor would I have chosen the bus to get to PGN in preference to the 2246 train (the bus being a twisty-turny hour-long journey).
 

gray1404

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2014
Messages
7,656
Location
Merseyside
Would you have caught an earlier bus at Paignton though if you'd have made the planned connection at Newton Abbot.

I guess it's immaterial though and I would personally submit a 30-minute delay repay claim.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top