• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay repay when service was cancelled and then reinstated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hipster123

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2024
Messages
7
Location
North West England
Hey all I am looking for some advise if possible regarding delay repay.

So yesterday evening I was supposed to get the 20:16 service from Grange-Over-Sands to Ulverston. But when I had look on Northern's app at 19:00 to see if it was on its way from Manchester I saw the 19:02 service from Grange had been cancelled due to a signalling problem and that the 21:16 had also been cancelled due to train crew problems. But my 20:16 train was still running and it had left Deansgate. I also saw the 19:39 service from Grange was starting in Carnforth instead of Lancaster due to the signalling problem.

However at 19:30 I was tracking my 20:16 train from Grange on RTT and it said it was cancelled between Preston and Barrow due to a points failure but Northerns journeycheck website and mobile app both showed the 20:16 as still running. At the same time the 19:39 from Grange was still as showing as running from Carnforth on RTT and also northerns app and journey check but it hadnt left Carnforth even thought it should have 10 minutes previously. Then at 19:45 just as I was about to leave the family members house that I was at, I looked on Northerns journeycheck and mobile app and they both now shown that the 19:39 and the 20:16 from Grange to Ulverston were both cancelled.

So because all the trains until 22:35 from Grange to Ulverston were cancelled I rang Northerns customer service number and at 19:55 they confirmed to me on the phone all the trains are cancelled apart from the 22:35 and 23:53 and they cannot book me a taxi as they are trying to source buses. So I went off the phone at 20:00 after being told all the trains are cancelled until 22:35 and I didnt look again until around 20:40 to see if northern had been able to source a replacment bus which they didnt end up being able to do so I ended up getting the next train at 22:35 and I stayed at the family members house I was at until 10pm. But at 22:15 when I got to Grange station I looked on RTT to see if the 22:35 train from Grange had left Lancaster which it had.

But whilst I was on RTT checking that to my shock it showed the 19:39 train from Grange had left Carnforth at 20:01 and Grange at 20:27, so I went on northerns mobile app and went on the see earlier journeys part and it also shown it had ran from Grange at 20:27.

So does anyone know what do I do regarding delay repay? Northerns journey check and mobile app both shown at 19:45 that the 19:39, 20:16, 21:16 from Grange to Ulverston were all cancelled and Northerns customer service confirmed to me on the phone at 19:55 all trains were cancelled until 22:35, but then it seems less than five minutes after Northern told me this on the phone the train was reinstated and must have left Carnforth straight away?

So I want to claim delay repay as I was unable to leave Grange until 22:35 instead of 20:16 as planned and I got to Ulverston over 2 hours after I was originally meant to arrive but I am guessing Northern will reject my claim if I claim delay repay for the 20:16 train I was supposed to get saying I was delayed less than 15 minutes due to the 19:39 train leaving Grange at 20:27. But if this happens and I appeal the decision will I be able to get Northern to pay me delay replay since I did not get the delayed 19:39 train as I did not know it was running because journey check and Northerns mobile app both shown it was cancelled at 19:45 and Northerns customer service also said everything was cancelled at 19:55 so I didnt head to the station as journey check,northerns mobile app and also Northern's customer service on the phone said that everything was cancelled until 22:35?

Thanks
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Hipster123

Member
Joined
5 Apr 2024
Messages
7
Location
North West England
Did you take any screenshots of the cancellations?
No unfortunately not, I've never encountered a situation like this before so I didnt think I would need proof of the train being cancelled as I didnt think it would be reinstated 40 mins after it was supposed to have left. I've submitted a delay repay claim for the 20:16 which Im sure they will reject it so I will appeal it when that happens and see if I have any luck.

I'm sure Northern will have something on their own systems that can show if a service was cancelled and then reinstated but whether anyone looks at that information when they review my appeal is a different matter I guess
 
Last edited:

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,792
Location
UK
I'm sure Northern will have all of the records of the cancellations and reinstatements. The problem is that their Delay Repay system will probably only look at the end-state and not the stages you went through. I think the fact you called them and were told the train was cancelled is pretty clear evidence in and of itself. You could ultimately request a copy of the call recording if it came to it (you'd also have your own record of calling them if it came to it).

I'd suggest submitting a claim as normal based on what happened, and get back to us if Northern refuse the claim even on appeal (after including a brief summary of the issue in the freetext section if possible).
 

skyhigh

Established Member
Joined
14 Sep 2014
Messages
6,894
I'm sure Northern will have all of the records of the cancellations and reinstatements.
They do.
The problem is that their Delay Repay system will probably only look at the end-state and not the stages you went through.
For this reason I would make a manual claim via customer services, but I would hope it succeeded without issue.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top