• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Repay rejected by Southern

Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
I put in a claim to Southern after arriving an hour late on a service from Polegate to Chirk. The Southern service arrived late and progressively got later due to speed restrictions following the Lewes derailment meaning missed connections and an arrival one hour late.

The claim was rejected because: We've checked the journey you have claimed for and our records show that the original delay was caused by another train operator Transport for Wales. We're unable to compensate for delays caused by another train operator, so please be advised that you'll need to make a claim with them directly.

I'm just posting as a santity check to make sure I'm not actually going mad and that the problem was actually the Southern service being delayed on the first leg? I looked at a website that showed train running times and it seems to support my claim (not sure if the experts here have better resources?). There doesn't seem to be any clear means to appeal, so I assume if I am correct, I have to go through their complaints procedure? Any advice welcome.

Planned itinerary for 3rd September 2026:
  1. Depart Polegate (Southern service) at 10:12, arrive London Victoria at 11:36
  2. London Underground to London Euston
  3. Depart London Euston (Avanti West Coast service) at 12:16, arrive Birmingham New Street at 13:48
  4. Depart Birmingham New Street (Transport For Wales service) at 14:22, arrive at Shrewsbury at 15:21
  5. Depart Shewsbury at 15:27 (Transport For Wales service), arrive at Chirk at 15:50
In reality:
  • Service from Polegate (1) arrived late (11:59) and got progressively later throughout the journey
  • Despite a good run across London, we missed our connection (3) from London Euston
  • We got the next available Avanti and changed onto the first available Transport For Wales service (scheduled for an hour after the one we were going to get, which was held by approx 10 minutes due to a delay on another connecting service)
  • We eventually arrived in Chirk approximately 1 hour late
If it makes any difference, tickets were purchased through this forum and I put all legs into the Delay Repay form.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
I put in a claim to Southern after arriving an hour late on a service from Polegate to Chirk. The Southern service arrived late and progressively got later due to speed restrictions following the Lewes derailment meaning missed connections and an arrival one hour late.

The claim was rejected because: We've checked the journey you have claimed for and our records show that the original delay was caused by another train operator Transport for Wales. We're unable to compensate for delays caused by another train operator, so please be advised that you'll need to make a claim with them directly.

I'm just posting as a santity check to make sure I'm not actually going mad and that the problem was actually the Southern service being delayed on the first leg? I looked at a website that showed train running times and it seems to support my claim (not sure if the experts here have better resources?). There doesn't seem to be any clear means to appeal, so I assume if I am correct, I have to go through their complaints procedure? Any advice welcome.

Planned itinerary for 3rd September 2026:
  1. Depart Polegate (Southern service) at 10:12, arrive London Victoria at 11:36
  2. London Underground to London Euston
  3. Depart London Euston (Avanti West Coast service) at 12:16, arrive Birmingham New Street at 13:48
  4. Depart Birmingham New Street (Transport For Wales service) at 14:22, arrive at Shrewsbury at 15:21
  5. Depart Shewsbury at 15:27 (Transport For Wales service), arrive at Chirk at 15:50
In reality:
  • Service from Polegate (1) arrived late and got progressively later throughout the journey
  • Despite a good run across London, we missed our connection (3) from London Euston
  • We got the next available Avanti and changed onto the first available Transport For Wales service (scheduled for an hour after the one we were going to get, which was held by approx 10 minutes due to a delay on another connecting service)
  • We eventually arrived in Chirk approximately 1 hour late
If it makes any difference, tickets were purchased through this forum and I put all legs into the Delay Repay form.
It's funny how a lot of operators' Delay Repay systems seem keen on batting about the responsibility for delays. The generally understood principle for journeys where multiple trains are disrupted, is that it is the first operator whose disruption made a material difference to the journey (i.e. resulted in a connection being missed) that is liable.

In this situation it looks like the software has looked no further than seeing that the 14:22 from Birmingham New Street arrived at Shrewsbury at 15:25, 4 minutes late, meaning the minimum connection time was no longer met: https://recenttraintimes.co.uk/Home/Service?ServiceId=147957302|147961875

But of course this ignores the above principle and the fact that you were never on the 14:22 because you missed it due to GTR's late-running.

Even if GTR were correct that TfW were liable, they would still be legally required to forward on your claim to TfW under condition 32.1 of the National Rail Conditions of Travel (NRCoT). Simply refusing your claim and leaving it up to you to submit a new claim with the operator they claim is liable - which you would be out of time to bring if you didn't act extremely quickly - is not good enough.

I would therefore submit a complaint pointing out these two things. I wouldn't expect a quick reply either, they seem to have quite a backlog at the moment.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,777
I would suggest phoning them or contacting them on social media, which often yields quicker results than an email.
 

800002

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2019
Messages
1,155
Not to get too involved here, but only seeing part of the equation (sorry).

There is a minimum transfer / connection time between Victoria and Euston.
You don't say how late you were into Victoria.

With the actual arrival time into Victoria, did you still have the minimum connection time to the departure from Euston?

Acknowledgement to tbe above, in the forwarding of the claim, and not everyone is able to make the minimum connection time on a good day - would it be possible for you to have arrived Victoria with 'enough' time to get to Euston to make the original connection?
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,777
With the actual arrival time into Victoria, did you still have the minimum connection time to the departure from Euston?
The train arrived in Victoria at 11:59, so making a 12:16 departure from Euston is completely unrealistic.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

would it be possible for you to have arrived Victoria with 'enough' time to get to Euston to make the original connection?
As above, not a realistic chance. GTR have no grounds for declining the claim.
 

800002

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2019
Messages
1,155
The train arrived in Victoria at 11:59, so making a 12:16 departure from Euston is completely unrealistic.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


As above, not a realistic chance. GTR have no grounds for declining the claim.
Answered in the first part. (Although I can't remember the connection time between the two, I believe it's 15 minutes at each end plus transit on tbe tube, so yes - unachievable).
 
Joined
12 Feb 2024
Messages
63
Location
Brighton
Apologies for missing that information @800002 and thanks for filling in the gaps Haywain - have updated the OP just in case anybody else has advice or refers to this post in future. In the end despite our speed run through the Tube, we missed our connection by just a few minutes.
 

800002

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2019
Messages
1,155
Apologies for missing that information @800002 and thanks for filling in the gaps Haywain - have updated the OP just in case anybody else has advice or refers to this post in future. In the end despite our speed run through the Tube, we missed our connection by just a few minutes.
Quite okay.
It's rough when that happens... quite stressful.
 

Mike99

Member
Joined
4 Mar 2011
Messages
865
Location
G E M L
What is the minimum connection time between London Victoria and London Euston? The original itinerary was to arrived London Victoria at 11:36 and departure from Euston at 12:16
 

800002

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2019
Messages
1,155
39 minutes, I believe.
15 at London Victoria,
15 at London Euston,
9 transfer between the two, for the arrival time quoted.

Almost the minimum possible.

Available here:
 

marshlinker

Member
Joined
18 May 2026
Messages
187
Location
Romney Marsh
I dont have access to the actual train running but I can sort of understand where Southern are coming from here. You would have missed the 12.16 but if everything north of London was running to time the 12.40 Avanti service to Edinburgh via Birmingham (fast to Coventry) would have comfortably connected with your Tfw service from either International, New Street or Wolverhampton leaving you with the same connection at Shrewsbury
 

800002

Member
Joined
19 Jun 2019
Messages
1,155
Except,
Southern was the first operator to delay, which impacted on the planned literary.
The minimum connection time between legs 1 and 2 were broken.

Southern is responsible to the whole delay incurred for the journey.
 

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,777
I dont have access to the actual train running but I can sort of understand where Southern are coming from here. You would have missed the 12.16 but if everything north of London was running to time the 12.40 Avanti service to Edinburgh via Birmingham (fast to Coventry) would have comfortably connected with your Tfw service from either International, New Street or Wolverhampton leaving you with the same connection at Shrewsbury
Even if that were relevant, Southern are still wrong as it would be down to Avanti that the connection was missed. However, I can safely say that Avanti would not accept responsibility for that.
 

Top