Today I came back from East Croydon to Wareham (or tried) on an off peak return.
Left EC at 0953 and the journey planner and my itinerary with my ticket said change at Havant (SWR on Portsmouth line diversion). This seemed illogical because going to Southampton Central meant if SWR had issues (as they did) I could get a Poole stopper or XC to Bournemouth and get a bus back to Swanage from there.
I was due to connect with this service
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W34234/2019-11-09/detailed
which apparently was originally delayed with a train crew issue but then it became due to power failure in an unspecified location. They were also announcing power supply issues between Bournemouth & Weymouth until 1700 and telling Bournemouth passengers to take the 1245 XC from Southampton Central which is what I did as my train that I was due to take was now only stopping at Poole then fast to Weymouth.
So I abandoned ship at Bournemouth and got the bus, as one seemed to know when the next Wareham train was, although RTT tells me it was less than 10 minutes behind the one that was running fast to Weymouth.
Questions please for our experts who understand the system
Can I claim delay repay even though I chose to terminate at Bournemouth not Wareham?
Do I claim from SWR even though I only travelled on Southern (who issued the ticket) and XC?
I obviously have no claim on XC as their train was on time, although may be they should pay me for having to get on a train just vacated by football fans that looked like a day after a beer festival, and I also hope the wet seats were due to spilt beer not something else.
Left EC at 0953 and the journey planner and my itinerary with my ticket said change at Havant (SWR on Portsmouth line diversion). This seemed illogical because going to Southampton Central meant if SWR had issues (as they did) I could get a Poole stopper or XC to Bournemouth and get a bus back to Swanage from there.
I was due to connect with this service
https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/W34234/2019-11-09/detailed
which apparently was originally delayed with a train crew issue but then it became due to power failure in an unspecified location. They were also announcing power supply issues between Bournemouth & Weymouth until 1700 and telling Bournemouth passengers to take the 1245 XC from Southampton Central which is what I did as my train that I was due to take was now only stopping at Poole then fast to Weymouth.
So I abandoned ship at Bournemouth and got the bus, as one seemed to know when the next Wareham train was, although RTT tells me it was less than 10 minutes behind the one that was running fast to Weymouth.
Questions please for our experts who understand the system
Can I claim delay repay even though I chose to terminate at Bournemouth not Wareham?
Do I claim from SWR even though I only travelled on Southern (who issued the ticket) and XC?
I obviously have no claim on XC as their train was on time, although may be they should pay me for having to get on a train just vacated by football fans that looked like a day after a beer festival, and I also hope the wet seats were due to spilt beer not something else.