nitten_travell
Member
- Joined
- 5 Feb 2016
- Messages
- 215
I write to ask for thoughts on a Delay Repay claim made last week. For context, I was travelling on the return part of a Sheffield-Newcraighall Off Peak return, bought through my work travel agent. I travelled from Sheffield to Doncaster on an on-time service. I had a Seatfrog upgrade for the LNER service so used the online chat function to ask how to proceed with the claim.
On 8th April I sent this email to LNER customer service:
Good morning,
On Thursday 6th April 2023 I was booked to take the following service:
16:10 LNER from Doncaster to Edinburgh
then connecting to
19:43 ScotRail from Edinburgh to Newcraighall, timetabled arrival 19:54
The 16:10 service arrived into Edinburgh at 19:51. I took the next ScotRail service, arriving at Newcraighall at 20:56.
As I arrived at Newcraighall more than 60 minutes later than booked I understand I am entitled to half the cost of the attached off-peak return ticket. I also had a Seatfrog upgrade (attached) for the 16:10 service. I used the online chat function to ask how to claim Seatfrog delay repay and was advised to send this email.
Yesterday evening I received three emails in the space of 15 minutes from LNER:
Email 1: a "thank you for contacting us" email with a link to enter bank details for the claim, but no information on how much would be repaid etc.
Email 2, 10 minutes later:
Thank you for getting in touch with us at London North Eastern Railway.
We are sorry to hear that your journey was affected by delays to our service and appreciate that it can affect your day.
I am sorry to inform you that we cant compensate you for you Seat Frog upgrade we can only compensate you for your delay, on that day of travel there is not anything in our records involving your claim.
We’ve taken a look at your case and are pleased to inform you that a BACS payment to the value of has been raised and will be with you in the next 14 working days.
Our records tell us that your train was delayed by 2 minutes on 6 April 2023 from Sheffield - Newcraighall and, in keeping with our Passenger’s Charter, we’re committed to compensating every LNER customer who is more than 30 minutes late to their destination station because their train is delayed or is cancelled.
There’s no need to reply to this email, we’ll get your compensation to you automatically and any other correspondence could delay payment, but if you haven’t received it within 14 working days, please do get in touch.
Email 3, five minutes later:
Thank you for contacting LNER on 08/04/2023
After reviewing your correspondence, we have determined ScotRail are responsible for your experience. We have forwarded on all the relevant details so that their Customer Services can investigate and respond to you accordingly.
If you would like to contact them directly, please find the details below:
There are two things here. One, LNER say that I cannot get a partial refund for the Seatfrog upgrade, which contradicts Seatfrog's website. Two, LNER appear to want to pass on responsibillity for paying Delay Repay to Scotrail, even though had the LNER service been on time my journey would not have been delayed.
Before I respond to the email(s) I wanted to ask this group for some advice. In particular, are LNER correct, no Seatfrog partial refund and it is Scotrail's responsibility? How is best to reply? I unfortunately do not have screenshots from Realtimetrains to show that the services were indeed delayed. The times quoted in my original email are the times as were shown on Realtimetrains. I wish I'd screenshotted it!
Thanks all if you made it this far!
On 8th April I sent this email to LNER customer service:
Good morning,
On Thursday 6th April 2023 I was booked to take the following service:
16:10 LNER from Doncaster to Edinburgh
then connecting to
19:43 ScotRail from Edinburgh to Newcraighall, timetabled arrival 19:54
The 16:10 service arrived into Edinburgh at 19:51. I took the next ScotRail service, arriving at Newcraighall at 20:56.
As I arrived at Newcraighall more than 60 minutes later than booked I understand I am entitled to half the cost of the attached off-peak return ticket. I also had a Seatfrog upgrade (attached) for the 16:10 service. I used the online chat function to ask how to claim Seatfrog delay repay and was advised to send this email.
Yesterday evening I received three emails in the space of 15 minutes from LNER:
Email 1: a "thank you for contacting us" email with a link to enter bank details for the claim, but no information on how much would be repaid etc.
Email 2, 10 minutes later:
Thank you for getting in touch with us at London North Eastern Railway.
We are sorry to hear that your journey was affected by delays to our service and appreciate that it can affect your day.
I am sorry to inform you that we cant compensate you for you Seat Frog upgrade we can only compensate you for your delay, on that day of travel there is not anything in our records involving your claim.
We’ve taken a look at your case and are pleased to inform you that a BACS payment to the value of has been raised and will be with you in the next 14 working days.
Our records tell us that your train was delayed by 2 minutes on 6 April 2023 from Sheffield - Newcraighall and, in keeping with our Passenger’s Charter, we’re committed to compensating every LNER customer who is more than 30 minutes late to their destination station because their train is delayed or is cancelled.
There’s no need to reply to this email, we’ll get your compensation to you automatically and any other correspondence could delay payment, but if you haven’t received it within 14 working days, please do get in touch.
Email 3, five minutes later:
Thank you for contacting LNER on 08/04/2023
After reviewing your correspondence, we have determined ScotRail are responsible for your experience. We have forwarded on all the relevant details so that their Customer Services can investigate and respond to you accordingly.
If you would like to contact them directly, please find the details below:
There are two things here. One, LNER say that I cannot get a partial refund for the Seatfrog upgrade, which contradicts Seatfrog's website. Two, LNER appear to want to pass on responsibillity for paying Delay Repay to Scotrail, even though had the LNER service been on time my journey would not have been delayed.
Before I respond to the email(s) I wanted to ask this group for some advice. In particular, are LNER correct, no Seatfrog partial refund and it is Scotrail's responsibility? How is best to reply? I unfortunately do not have screenshots from Realtimetrains to show that the services were indeed delayed. The times quoted in my original email are the times as were shown on Realtimetrains. I wish I'd screenshotted it!
Thanks all if you made it this far!
