• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay Refund - called customer service team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red Gunner

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
I mistakenly requested a train delay refund by mistake that I wasn’t entitled to. So, after I submitted the request, I contacted the train company’s customer service team to explain that I had submitted the wrong information in a rush and had actually taken a different train. The customer service officer informed me that the refund had just been approved and that I should receive a notification within a few days. However, they were going to cancel the refund now, and I would get another update soon.

And it’s been some time, and I haven’t received any further updates. What should I do? Should I call their customer service team again? I’m also worried about this mistake could lead to any legal action.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,385
They haven’t paid yet as I stopped them just before that. Will they consider this is a fraud?
Just keep a note of what you did (with dates and times if at all possible eg from your call log on the phone if you can access that, and who you rang) in case they ever ask you about it. If you find they still pay you the money then e-mail them and offer to pay it back - doing this stuff by e-mail for follow ups as opposed to by phone is better as you have a record of what you sent, and if they don't then reply that's not your fault. If it's an on line web form then I guess screen shot it before pressing send and screen shot the auto acknowledgment that usually accompanies pressing send etc.

Keep all these records for some time (certainly more than a year*) in case something comes of this - as this allows you to then respond to say 'I did my level best to cancel this erroneous refund request' a should you ever get asked about it in future.

*6 years is a common time deadline for people to chase up financial stuff - well with HMRC anyway - though you have to hope you would hear before then if they were ever going to get back to you.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
Given you did suffer a delay, which is why you were surely claiming, did you correct them on the amount of the compensation due? Or were you not delayed at all? In which case, why would you claim? I don't understand why you're suddenly worried about fraud, otherwise.
 
Last edited:

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,385
Given you did suffer a delay, which is why you were surely claiming, did you correct them on the amount of the compensation due? Or were you not delayed at all? In which case, why would you claim? I don't understand why you're suddenly worried about fraud, otherwise.
well, could have been a case like those we see on here from time to time where people confuse making Delay - Repay claims with claiming refunds on tickets (sometimes caused by railway announcements that refer to claiming Delay - Repay as claiming a 'refund for your delay')
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
well, could have been a case like those we see on here from time to time where people confuse making Delay - Repay claims with claiming refunds on tickets (sometimes caused by railway announcements that refer to claiming Delay - Repay as claiming a 'refund for your delay')
The OP said no compensation/refund could be due as they travelled on a different train to the one they claimed for, so I don't see how this could apply. Refund for what exactly?

It does sound like the sort of thing which might prompt a raised eyebrow at customer services, and a look at any previous claims.
 

Red Gunner

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
I understand that this might raise some eyebrows at customer service, but I want to fix the mistake before it’s too late and before I receive my payment. Should I call the customer service team to explain this again?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,385
I understand that this might raise some eyebrows at customer service, but I want to fix the mistake before it’s too late and before I receive my payment. Should I call the customer service team to explain this again?
I wouldn't if you have called them and explained and they say they have taken action.

And as you do not seem to have been paid a refund so they have not lost any money. If they do still pay you then you can contact them about that.

But as I say calling them is not of much use because you will not have any proof about what you called them about or what they said in response. It's easier to illustrate proof if you can produce a copy of a written communication.

Unless there is more to this than you are telling us - ie for example if you have claimed refunds in the past to which you are not entitled to.
 

Red Gunner

Member
Joined
24 Sep 2024
Messages
7
Location
London
I wouldn't if you have called them and explained and they say they have taken action.

And as you do not seem to have been paid a refund so they have not lost any money. If they do still pay you then you can contact them about that.

But as I say calling them is not of much use because you will not have any proof about what you called them about or what they said in response. It's easier to illustrate proof if you can produce a copy of a written communication.

Unless there is more to this than you are telling us - ie for example if you have claimed refunds in the past to which you are not entitled to.
If I give them a call, I believe they might be able to record the conversation as evidence, right?
 

WesternLancer

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Apr 2019
Messages
15,385
If I give them a call, I believe they might be able to record the conversation as evidence, right?

Which they won't retain and if some investigation happens in 8 months time they won't have kept / cant find etc etc. If you record it they will find that suspicious.

If you have told them and they answered you, make a note of what was said and when and then leave it at that unless they contact you.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
I would keep my head down if I were you.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
It depends what they find or even if the agent was smart or engaged enough to pick up on it in the first place.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top