• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay on a rover combined with an advance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crispy1978

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,037
Location
Scarborough
Imagine I'm on a rover/ranger and find my last train before connecting with an advance ticket home is late and I miss my connection, do I have any rights?

Ie 1915 Whitby arriving Middlesbrough 2041 (ranger)
Middlesbrough 2050 home to Scarborough (advance)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mono1989

Member
Joined
2 Jul 2013
Messages
58
Location
Three Bridges
Imagine I'm on a rover/ranger and find my last train before connecting with an advance ticket home is late and I miss my connection, do I have any rights?

Ie 1915 Whitby arriving Middlesbrough 2041 (ranger)
Middlesbrough 2050 home to Scarborough (advance)

Not sure on this one. Could be a bit tricky with technically part of that "advance" journey still being under the condition of the Ranger/Rover.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
Yes, as you have left the minimum interchange time at Middlesborough (5 minutes), you are entitled to be conveyed on the next suitable train, and possibly entitled to delay compensation depending on the length of the overall delay to your journey.
 

Solent&Wessex

Established Member
Joined
9 Jul 2009
Messages
2,749
Although some TOCS, including TPE, often claim it only applies if you have a through ticket.
 

crispy1978

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,037
Location
Scarborough
Great, cheers guys.

I've got 9 minutes at Middlesbrough before the last train. National Rail say the station is staffed until 23:30 so in case the train is delayed they do have a right to get me home, even if my train is late using a Ranger Ticket.

It will be TPE on the way home though........
 

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
Joined
15 May 2012
Messages
5,438
Location
Croydon
Although some TOCS, including TPE, often claim it only applies if you have a through ticket.

I presume you are referring to Delay Repay here. East Coast are another TOC who lately only want to consider the ticket where the delay occurred.

This is of course a separate and unrelated matter to being conveyed to your destination if a connection is missed when split ticketing,.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
Great, cheers guys.

I've got 9 minutes at Middlesbrough before the last train. National Rail say the station is staffed until 23:30 so in case the train is delayed they do have a right to get me home, even if my train is late using a Ranger Ticket.

It will be TPE on the way home though........

In your case it will be Northern who will have to pay for onward travel.
 

gord

Member
Joined
6 Jul 2011
Messages
139
Happened to me on a Ffestinog Round Robin a couple of years ago. I lived in Stourbridge at the time. Train broke down at Pwllheli...to cut a long story short, I missed the connection to the last train to Birmingham. I didn't have an advance but I did have a return from Stourbridge to Birmingham which I used to connect to the start of the Round Robin. They bussed us out to Shrewsbury and I fully expected to be put on the next train to Birmingham where I could connect to the very last train to Stourbridge that night. However at Shrewsbury station, when they asked for everyone's final destinations, Arriva trains told me they would arrange for a taxi to take me straight from Shrewsbury to Stourbridge instead. Was very impressed and remembering emailing Arriva next day thanking their Shrewsbury staff.

Having the Round Robin tickets didn't make a difference at all. (Although a good tip might be doing the Round Robin in a clockwise direction in future so my last journey home is on a main line!)

Edit: Just want to point out that I don't know if this is the norm or if I was lucky.
 
Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Joined
7 Apr 2010
Messages
34,308
Great, cheers guys.

I've got 9 minutes at Middlesbrough before the last train. National Rail say the station is staffed until 23:30 so in case the train is delayed they do have a right to get me home, even if my train is late using a Ranger Ticket.

To be more accurate, you have the right, they have the responsibility...
 

87007

Member
Joined
22 Jun 2013
Messages
38
On a day around West Midlands, we arrived at Lichfield TV to catch a London Midland train to Crewe to pick up a connection on Virgin to Warrington BQ.

We had a return ticket from WBQ to Crewe and West Midlands Day Ranger from there.

The LM train at Lichfield was cancelled so we considered the next train which was a Virgin service that went directly to WBQ. We realised we could not do this as the train did not stop at Crewe and headed back into Birmingham to get another LM service to Crewe. The next service to Warrington was nearly 2 hours later so we found a pub to kill the time. We arrived home 2 hours later than planned and, due to the parsity of local buses home were delayed even further at our destination.

I have made a complaint to LM but no reply yet (this happened in June btw). They have now been sent another complaint.

I do not expect any form of compensation although an acknowledgement of the poor service due to the cancellation would go some way to restoring confidence in LM.
 

crispy1978

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,037
Location
Scarborough
Useful to know its happened to people before.

Not majorly concerned re delay repay but more about making sure my head gets to my pillow!
 

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2008
Messages
8,837
Imagine I'm on a rover/ranger and find my last train before connecting with an advance ticket home is late and I miss my connection, do I have any rights?

Ie 1915 Whitby arriving Middlesbrough 2041 (ranger)
Middlesbrough 2050 home to Scarborough (advance)

Last time I was on that 1915 from Whitby, the connecting TPE service had been held for it, though I can't recall how late it was.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469
I have made a complaint to LM but no reply yet (this happened in June btw). They have now been sent another complaint.

You should be entitled to Delay Repay on your delayed journey, which is determined by how late you arrived at Warrington, compared to what your planned arrival time would have been had everything run to time. (Not including the buses though, unfortunately.)

LM are behind on their case load by quite a large margin.
 

Qwerty133

Established Member
Joined
7 Oct 2012
Messages
2,622
Location
Leicester/Sheffield
You should be entitled to Delay Repay on your delayed journey, which is determined by how late you arrived at Warrington, compared to what your planned arrival time would have been had everything run to time. (Not including the buses though, unfortunately.)

LM are behind on their case load by quite a large margin.

think LM have about caught up with complaints http://www.londonmidland.com/contact/contact-us/ they were up to the end of July by the 18th
 

philjo

Established Member
Joined
9 Jun 2009
Messages
3,023
Whenever I have arrived at Middlesborough from Whitby the onward services to York (or NT to Darlington) have always left from the same platform. The Whitby train usually does a quick turnround and heads back to Whitby 2-3 minutes after arriving. I think there is a fair amount of recovery time in the timings for the arrival from Whitby anyway (the train I was on in May arrived in Middlesborough early even though we were a couple of minutes late at Nunthorpe)!
 

crispy1978

Member
Joined
4 Feb 2013
Messages
1,037
Location
Scarborough
Whenever I have arrived at Middlesborough from Whitby the onward services to York (or NT to Darlington) have always left from the same platform. The Whitby train usually does a quick turnround and heads back to Whitby 2-3 minutes after arriving. I think there is a fair amount of recovery time in the timings for the arrival from Whitby anyway (the train I was on in May arrived in Middlesborough early even though we were a couple of minutes late at Nunthorpe)!

Cheers - this would, I believe, be the last train of the day from Whitby, and goes up to Newcastle - but hearing there is a good period of recovery is encouraging as well! :D
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top