• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Delay meant I chose to break my journey

Status
Not open for further replies.

mad_rich

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
592
Location
Newcastle
Ticket was Off-Peak Return Ashington-Northampton. £161.80

Intended journey 0836-1407 today, changing at Newcastle, Tamworth and Rugby.

After handing in my ticket to the wall at Northampton , I then intended to travel up to Coventry on a separate ticket, before ending the day at Milton Keynes tonight.

Just before arriving at Tamworth, I saw that my train to Rugby was cancelled, and the next quickest option for Northampton was to stay onboard Crosscountry to Birmingham. This would’ve resulted in a delay of 31 minutes at Northampton. And an hour at Coventry.

I decided it wasn’t worth accepting that delay, so I instead went straight to Coventry, broke my journey there for several hours, then continued to Northampton this evening.

Is it possible to claim delay repay based on the delay I would’ve had to Northampton, which caused me to change my plans?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,790
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Unfortunately not. Delay Repay is always based on what you did do, not what you might have done. As one example if I arrive at MKC 10 minutes late, missing a connection to Bletchley, if I end there I get nothing, whereas if I had waited the 20ish minutes for the next Bletchley connection (it's 4tph but the fast and slow are only a couple of minutes apart) I get a 15 minute claim.

Which is a bit annoying, as it wouldn't in principle seem unfair to claim the full DR and spend the money on a taxi back from MKC, thus getting home on time, but life isn't always fair.
 
Last edited:

Haywain

Veteran Member
Joined
3 Feb 2013
Messages
24,834
Is it possible to claim delay repay based on the delay I would’ve had to Northampton, which caused me to change my plans?
As you changed your plans to avoid being delayed I don’t see that you can have a valid claim. You certainly can’t claim for a delay to Northampton when you didn’t go there.
 

mad_rich

Member
Joined
12 Feb 2013
Messages
592
Location
Newcastle
Thanks both. That’s what I suspected.

There are plenty of times when Delay Repay has given me a very generous payout, so it’s swings and roundabouts I guess.

The service desk at Northampton was very happy to receive my Ashington ticket, and I was able to go straight back down onto the same train to continue to MK. And funnily enough Bletchley today, @Bletchleyite !
 

robbeech

Established Member
Joined
11 Nov 2015
Messages
4,905
Somewhat OT but I did wonder if someone might have added one of the new stations on the wall yesterday. Well done for getting it done on the first day. I added my local station on Wednesday.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top