• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Definitive list of locos

Status
Not open for further replies.

HA25322

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
350
Location
The Moon
I hope this is the right part of the forum to ask this question and if not I do apologise and would be grateful if the mods could then more it to the correct forum.
The question I have is can anyone advise me of a website or maybe worse case scenario a book that has a list of ALL the current locos in the UK, be they steam, diesel and electric and operational, preserved, waiting for scrap, repair etc etc. Also all preserved locos including industrial (for example 20 Jennifer which is currently at Peak Rail and ex industrial)
I am aware that the ICRS pocket book, (Which is very good) has a very good list but not all locos are shown especially the industrial ones eg Number 20 loco is not listed.
Any help gratefully accepted.

Regards.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LA50041

Established Member
Joined
20 Feb 2017
Messages
3,186
I hope this is the right part of the forum to ask this question and if not I do apologise and would be grateful if the mods could then more it to the correct forum.
The question I have is can anyone advise me of a website or maybe worse case scenario a book that has a list of ALL the current locos in the UK, be they steam, diesel and electric and operational, preserved, waiting for scrap, repair etc etc. Also all preserved locos including industrial (for example 20 Jennifer which is currently at Peak Rail and ex industrial)
I am aware that the ICRS pocket book, (Which is very good) has a very good list but not all locos are shown especially the industrial ones eg Number 20 loco is not listed.
Any help gratefully accepted.

Regards.

Have you tried Abrail?
It's got a very comprehensive list of locos including industrial
 

HA25322

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
350
Location
The Moon
Yes I have tried ABRail. Another excellent site similar to the ICRS pocket book & one that I use regularly but for more "modern" types. Unfortunately again it does not have what I am looking for in respect of full info. I suspect there is actually no site out there that does??! Thanks for the reply though.
 

alexl92

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2014
Messages
2,368
In a way it's something I'd love to have a go at but I think it's such a huge job that it would be incredibly difficult to compile and maintain. Can't imagine there is a truly comprehensive list of every single one.
 

Flying Phil

Established Member
Joined
18 Apr 2016
Messages
2,085
I think "Steam Railway" magazine did quite a good survey of preserved steam locomotives 3 or 4 years ago?
 

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Joined
23 Oct 2013
Messages
4,750
A good starting point:

http://uklocos.com/

Good evening and welcome to information about UK & Irish railway engines and stock. Included is information on all known preserved, private and hired locos, the main industrial locos which are readily accessible to the public, some British locos abroad and all known stock (DMUs, EMUs, coaches, wagons and plant). Excluded are mainline locos, coaches and units as they are not based at specific locations and there are many other sources of information about them. Class 08/09s are included because they are heritage locos and so many private shunters operate on the national railway network that trying to categorise and differentiate private and leased locos from mainline shunters has proved impossible. Shunters also spend some time at the same location, so it helps to keep records accurate!

For current mainline locos, units or stock, you could also try www.abrail.co.uk, www.wnxx.com or Google.

As an example, enter 'Brush' into the search field and it will return all such stock, with the following categories:
Builder
Wks No/ Year
Wheels/Type
Gauge
Number Carried
Name Carried
Location / County
Photo

The first result being:
BT 656 / 1965 Co-CoDE 4ft 81/2in 47375 Tinsley Traction Hungary / Abroad PIC

Data can be copied and pasted into excel by simply grabbing it with your cursor, copy (ctrl C) and then pasting (ctrl v).

I found, when I compiled a comprehensive list of my own, that each of the various sites have their own anomalies / errors. No criticism intended as it is a monumental task, especially if kettles are included. A full, comprehensive and totally accurate list is, I suspect, impossible. Reasons including; define 'locomotive', define 'existing'. There are pictures out there of former four wheel self-powered 'trolleys' where only the frame exists half buried in the undergrowth beyond the end of a siding.

As a guide, my list extends to approx. 7,000 BR / constituent company diesel and electric locos, 1,000 other 'industrial' locos and 238 narrow/broad gauge. But that includes scrapped items and exported items.

Good Luck and stay sane!

PS. 20 is listed - search 'Jennifer' under 'name'
 
Last edited:

HA25322

Member
Joined
18 Aug 2014
Messages
350
Location
The Moon
Brilliant. That's superb. I will certainly have a play on that over the next few days.

Thanks for your time and the explanation.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top