• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Defective ticket machines at Birmingham Moor St

BREMENMURRAY

Member
Joined
6 Jun 2022
Messages
16
Location
BIRMINGHAM
For some time now when attempting to purchase a ticket at either ticket machine at Birmingham Moor St the machine fails to recalculate the fare when a rail pass is used.This last weekend I was delayed by one hour because I had to queue at the ticket office to get a ticket and missed my train.The Chiltern railways representative I spoke to seemed aware of the issue which raises the question why have the machines not been repaired? I accept I could have got a full price ticket at the machine but surely Chiltern have a responsibility to provide fully functional machines
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,387
For some time now when attempting to purchase a ticket at either ticket machine at Birmingham Moor St the machine fails to recalculate the fare when a rail pass is used.This last weekend I was delayed by one hour because I had to queue at the ticket office to get a ticket and missed my train.The Chiltern railways representative I spoke to seemed aware of the issue which raises the question why have the machines not been repaired? I accept I could have got a full price ticket at the machine but surely Chiltern have a responsibility to provide fully functional machines
Have you asked Chiltern the question? Seeing as it is them who need to rectify it.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
I assume you mean a Railcard?

I haven't had a problem buying Network Railcard discounted tickets from a Chiltern machine but it could be a new issue.

It could also be that the rather confusing user interface of these TVMs is causing the poster to do it wrong and not apply the discount.

What exactly is being purchased and at what time of day?
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,563
Location
Lichfield
Have you asked Chiltern the question? Seeing as it is them who need to rectify it.

OP States "The Chiltern railways representative I spoke to seemed aware of the issue which raises the question why have the machines not been repaired?"
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,387
OP States "The Chiltern railways representative I spoke to seemed aware of the issue which raises the question why have the machines not been repaired?"
Yes, I can read, I interpret that as being a member of the ticket office.

I am referring to contacting Chiltern customer care, who may actually do something about it if contacted.

My experience of speaking to ticket office staff about incorrect things is they give you an answer and that's it. Hence why I asked if they had contacted Chiltern!
 

Russel

Established Member
Joined
30 Jun 2022
Messages
5,563
Location
Lichfield
Yes, I can read, I interpret that as being a member of the ticket office.

I am referring to contacting Chiltern customer care, who may actually do something about it if contacted.

My experience of speaking to ticket office staff about incorrect things is they give you an answer and that's it. Hence why I asked if they had contacted Chiltern!

The ticket office staff are employed by Chiltern, they should be passing the message up the chain, not ignoring it, after all, there was uproar a couple of years ago at the proposal of closing ticket offices...

Not sure why the emphasis should be on the customer here, they've done their part.
 

800001

Established Member
Joined
24 Oct 2015
Messages
7,387
The ticket office staff are employed by Chiltern, they should be passing the message up the chain, not ignoring it, after all, there was uproar a couple of years ago at the proposal of closing ticket offices...

Not sure why the emphasis should be on the customer here, they've done their part.
Because speaking from knowledge when a customer complains, 99% of the time the colleague will do nothing with what the customer has told them.

It helps ticket office sales if machines don't do what customers wants therefore giving a case for keeping ticket office open.

In the time it took the poster to write on here asking the question, they could of contacted Chiltern who will be in far better position to reply factually about the relevant machine, therefore giving an answer to the poster.
 

The exile

Established Member
Joined
31 Mar 2010
Messages
9,466
Location
Somerset
OP States "The Chiltern railways representative I spoke to seemed aware of the issue which raises the question why have the machines not been repaired?"
Worth pointing out that it doesn’t necessarily “raise the question” in the way the OP clearly meant. The person they spoke could have been aware of the situation because someone had told them 5 minutes previously.
 

riceuten

Member
Joined
23 May 2018
Messages
954
I suspect - like most suggestions passed to senior management - that any kind of communication of this nature is usually roundly ignored
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,475
Location
London
I suspect - like most suggestions passed to senior management - that any kind of communication of this nature is usually roundly ignored
Or the station staff haven't passed it to the relevant team at all, potentially because the OP hasn't given them enough detail to describe the issue so they can troubleshoot it.
 

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Joined
20 Oct 2014
Messages
113,762
Location
"Marston Vale mafia"
Or the station staff haven't passed it to the relevant team at all, potentially because the OP hasn't given them enough detail to describe the issue so they can troubleshoot it.

Or it's user error, e.g. the original poster doesn't realise there is a minimum fare at the time they are travelling for their Railcard, hence why I asked them what exactly was being purchased and when.
 

CyrusWuff

Established Member
Joined
20 May 2013
Messages
5,475
Location
London
If the OP shared the details of what they were attempting to buy and whether it was through the "Quick Fare" mode (and approximate time of day in that case) or the "Buy Tickets" one I'm sure it wouldn't take someone from Chiltern, LNER or Northern long to diagnose what the issue is and potentially suggest a workaround. (And I don't mean buying online and collecting it from the TVM!)
 

Top