• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Deer flies through a school bus windscreen in Virginia, USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,478
Location
Yorkshire

Video captures deer flying through a school bus windshield​


Video captures deer flying through a school bus windshield

A student was taking a morning nap in the bus when he was abruptly woken up by something unexpected - a deer.
"I was really confused," the student said.
I like this quote from the video from a 9th grader (I believe 9th Grade is the US equivalent of Year 10 in England & Wales):

I was very confused because because I've never seen a deer actually jump through a windshield and then land
I don't think many people have!

Miraculously the deer appeared to be okay, and the driver was also fine as the deer entered on the offside.

Is anyone aware of any similar incidents in the UK?

Has anyone here experienced anything like this?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Aug 2009
Messages
44,413
Location
Yorks
Oh deer.

You'd have thought the driver would have opened the door when he stopped so that the poor crearure could get out !
 

Titfield

Established Member
Joined
26 Jun 2013
Messages
3,245
People have been killed in the UK by a deer crashing through a car windscreen.

I had a near miss on the M27 near Rownhams when a deer jumped across the bonnet of my car back in the mid 1990s.

Where the M27 joins the M3 there is a (for want of a better expression) piece of wooded land isolated by having the motorway on both sides. A herd of deer live in there and cross the motorway from time to time.
 

Calthrop

Established Member
Joined
6 Dec 2015
Messages
3,689
Rather comically, I got a moment's initial misunderstanding / confusion on reading the heading of this thread. With there being a North American insect called a deerfly: my first reaction to the heading was, "so what?". Going on to post #1, got me on the right track !

Shades of the old nonsense thing, "Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana".
 

duncombec

Member
Joined
3 Sep 2014
Messages
1,160
For whatever reason, it seems deer move very quickly when they want to, but rarely deviate from a path once they have set it. They might stop, but they seem not to swerve.

I had a similar incident some 12 or so years ago in Germany - there had been local news that a deer was around so to be careful; the next door neighbour had come across it earlier in the week. I was attending a local event and realised I had forgotten my camera, so headed home (by bike) to get it. Suddenly, this deer comes crashing out of the woodland at the side of the road a matter of feet in front of me, and not many more in front of the car coming the other way, straight across the road and into the field on the other side. The deer was only in sight for 15 seconds at most.

I never really thought about what might have happened had either me or the driver been a few feet further forward, but I do remember the looks that passed between the driver and I. We both sat there for a few seconds slightly witless as if to say "what on earth was that?". Then we shook out of it and carried on as if nothing had happened.
 

anthony263

Established Member
Joined
19 Aug 2008
Messages
6,893
Location
South Wales
I've hit a deer on the A38 not far from Bristol Airport 5 years ago. I was driving the NX 216 service to Cardiff at 0415, the coach being FJ12 FXX. The deer died and the front of my coach took a lot of damage. Luckily a temporary fix allowed me to limp to the depot where the coach stayed for 2 weeks until it was repaired.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top