• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DBSO/DVTs on Charter Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.

Masbroughlad

Established Member
Joined
2 Mar 2011
Messages
1,847
Location
Midlands
Is there a limit to the number of carriages between loco and DBSO or DVT?

Could charter trains use just one loco and one of these? Would it just be Mk2d and e fleets that are wired as such? No Mk1s or early Mk2s?

I guess top and tail with 2 locos is similar, but surely more expensive? I know it gives insurance if one loco fails, but could one loco and DVT be a goer?

Just wondering....
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Spartacus

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2009
Messages
3,833
Problem of not only getting stock that will talk with the controls at the other end, and obviously the loco has to be able to do too, and have crew who sign it. I think when everything’s factored in it’s almost always going to be better to have a spare loco on the back that can operate independently.
 

mushroomchow

Member
Joined
14 Feb 2017
Messages
455
Location
Where HSTs Still Scream. Kind of.
I can see DBSOs being more and more useful in the future for the sort of stop-gap services WCRC and DRS have begun to operate. How 2020 is going to impact on the flexibility to operate such services is another matter entirely - I'm guessing Mk. 2s (and most Mk. 3s) are not RVAR compliant?
 

Journeyman

Established Member
Joined
16 Apr 2014
Messages
6,295
I can see DBSOs being more and more useful in the future for the sort of stop-gap services WCRC and DRS have begun to operate. How 2020 is going to impact on the flexibility to operate such services is another matter entirely - I'm guessing Mk. 2s (and most Mk. 3s) are not RVAR compliant?

The Chiltern Mark 3s with power doors are accessibility compliant but none of the others are. I think non-modded stock has some sort of right to operate charter services but won't be allowed to operate scheduled services.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,854
I can see DBSOs being more and more useful in the future for the sort of stop-gap services WCRC and DRS have begun to operate. How 2020 is going to impact on the flexibility to operate such services is another matter entirely - I'm guessing Mk. 2s (and most Mk. 3s) are not RVAR compliant?
Surely you mean less and less useful? Mark 2/3 stock is not compliant for use when PRM-TSI becomes mandatory in 2020.

Note that for the main line railway it is the PRM-TSI that is the standard. RVAR 2010 regs apply to rail vehicles not covered by the TSI.
 

nat67

Established Member
Joined
23 Apr 2014
Messages
1,477
Location
Warwickshire
One thing, on let's say a FootEx with an 86/87 on B & G MK2's a DVT would come in handy.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top