TimboM
Established Member
- Joined
- 12 Apr 2016
- Messages
- 3,734
We'd easily have room for one but I don't think my wife would be filled with joy.
Just tell her it's a new shed. Probably won't be able to tell the difference (I certainly can't)
We'd easily have room for one but I don't think my wife would be filled with joy.
I see the ScotRail HST Thunderbird brigade or the 442 fantasists haven't discovered this thread yet![]()
Just tell her it's a new shed. Probably won't be able to tell the difference (I certainly can't)![]()
Just take the engine out and you can fit all your gardening tools inside (as well as clear out your attic, I imagine).
Could probably even double it up as a garage as long as you had a smallish car. A highly practical addition to the household, what's not to like.
Just tell her it's a new shed. Probably won't be able to tell the difference (I certainly can't)![]()
My wife might cotton on if I started the loco up!
I see the ScotRail HST Thunderbird brigade ... haven't discovered this thread yet![]()
Maybe, but think plan was to strip it out and make it more useful![]()
![]()
Given that most of the 442s have a new home already guaranteedwuth the remaining units a possible new home too not sure why the fantasists would be on this band waggon...
Although assuming the engine on these particular examples still works (and that's a big if) you could probably use it as an emergency backup generator.![]()
Although assuming the engine on these particular examples still works (and that's a big if) you could probably use it as an emergency backup generator.![]()
For the entire neighbourhood![]()
If it was a 60 (and assuming it stilled worked) it'd be powering the whole town
...I can just see the conversation now: "It's OK, Mrs Richmond Commuter, that's just our emergency generator in case of a power cut. Just happens to be housed inside a Class 66 locomotive..."
Just take the engine out and you can fit all your gardening tools inside (as well as clear out your attic, I imagine).
That's a blasphemy. Engine is the main reason I'd love to get my hands on one... Or two. Just can't get enough of that EMD sound man.
Doesn't mean you'd need to get rid of it, although as I said, I doubt the engine actually works on any of these. Although I too find that ying ying sound very soothing.
Yep, it's hard to describe but the EMD signature ying makes me very happy indeed. I can't stand most modern diesels especially the racket that Cummins powered locos/DMU's make but the EMD's I can listen to for hours on end. And that applies to all notches (although tickover is my favourite).
Reports on WNXX confirm all 10 of these are on there way to GBRF, with the following renumbering occurring:
66008 = 66780
66016 = 66781
66046 = 66782
66058 = 66783
66081 = 66784
66132 = 66785
66141 = 66786
66184 = 66787
66238 = 66788
66250 = 66789
58 & 184 are out of storage at Toton and pootling around in service again to provide the necessary assurances to GBRF that they are fully functional before transfer.
I'm still not entirely sure what GBRF need yet more 66s for, a fair number sit idle for days on end, but can only summise they are expecting a further upturn in contracts over the coming months that would press a greater pecentage of the fleet in to service.
could just be a case of buying them while they're availableI'm still not entirely sure what GBRF need yet more 66s for, a fair number sit idle for days on end, but can only summise they are expecting a further upturn in contracts over the coming months that would press a greater pecentage of the fleet in to service.
could just be a case of buying them while they're available
Indeed so.
WNXX is reporting that they are also acquiring a further 10 66s from DBC, though I know not which ones.
Suggestions in a few places that GBRf are intending to bid for HS2 contracts.