• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB - Travel Schedule no longer possible - Budapest - Brussels

Status
Not open for further replies.

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
538
Location
Hawarden
DB emailed me saying my journey no longer possible - however they do not indicate which portion(s) of the below journey is/are not possible. I assume I will be best using the DB APP / Website to negotiate another route? I would also add I have seat reservations for each of the 4 legs originally booked so will have to get (Free?) Reservations for every stage of the new journey (they say I can use any train). I have a flight to catch from Brussells Charleroi 09:25 on Monday 12 August. Arrival in Brussels on the original itinerary would have been Sunday 11 August 11:35am. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Timetable change for your journey to Bruxelles Midi on 10 August 2024: Travel schedule no longer possible

Timetable change for your journey to Bruxelles Midi on 10 August 2024: Travel schedule no longer possible
Good evening ****** *******

Due to a timetable change, your journey from Budapest-Keleti to Bruxelles Midi on 10 August 2024 cannot be carried out as described.
The requirement for you to travel on a specific train on your booked connection has been lifted. This means you can also use your ticket on other Deutsche Bahn long-distance trains (e.g. ICE/IC/EC), as well as local trains and S-Bahn trains.

Please note that you must book a new reservation if your connection requires one (e.g. trains to France).

For more information Digital passenger rights.

Sincerely yours

Deutsche Bahn


Your former journey (not possible anymore)
Order Number: ******************

06:40 PM Budapest-Keleti
EC 340
09:20 PM Wien Hbf Pl. 5A-B
35min Changeover

09:55 PM Wien Hbf Pl. 8A-B
IC 460
03:11 AM Augsburg Hbf Pl. 1
36min Changeover

03:47 AM Augsburg Hbf Pl. 1
ICE22016 Direction Münster(Westf)Hbf
09:05 AM Köln Hbf
37min Changeover

09:42 AM Köln Hbf Pl. 5 A-C
ICE 316 Direction Bruxelles Midi
11:35
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Flying Snail

Established Member
Joined
12 Dec 2006
Messages
2,048
IC460 is listed as departing Vienna at 21.25.

Do yourself a favour and get a hotel/hostel somewhere along the route, those IC2 are an awful way to spend a night.
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
538
Location
Hawarden
Ah right - looks like 5 min connection time in Vienna (was 35 min) negates the journey as technically not possible to make connection (although in reality may still be possible). I had originally planned to get a couchette on a sleeper train to Brussels or Paris but it was sold out or too expensive but my original route was extremely cheap Budapest - Brussels. So I thought I could put up with a night in a seat considering the saving.

Bit of a ball ache as I'm currently in Rhodes, Greece and travelling home overland - Rhodes (Ferry Overnight) - Athens - Thessaloniki (Train) - Sofia (Flixbus) - Bucharest (Overnight Train) - Budapest - Brussels (Overnight Train) then flying back to Manchester from Brussels. Journey home is spread out over 11 days
 
Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,931
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Looks like it is IC460 which now leaves Vienna at 2125 rather than 2155, thus not giving you time to make the connection there from Budapest.
You could get the 1640 from Keleti instead (EC148) and ensure a leisurely 2-hour connection in Vienna.
Otherwise the timings look the same.
You should be able to book the journey on the DB site with the extended stopover in Vienna.
 

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
538
Location
Hawarden
Looks like it is IC460 which now leaves Vienna at 2125 rather than 2155, thus not giving you time to make the connection there from Budapest.
You could get the 1640 from Keleti instead (EC148) and ensure a leisurely 2-hour connection in Vienna.
Otherwise the timings look the same.
You should be able to book the journey on the DB site with the extended stopover in Vienna.
Excellent - I've been to Budapest a few times before so don't mind an earlier departure. As they say my ticket will be valid on any train then I only need a Reservation for the 16:40 as I already have a ticket?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Looking at Seat 61


Reservations optional on Railjet and Eurocity between Budapest and Vienna so maybe no need to get a Reservation as its only 2.5 Hour journey so can spend my time in the bar car drinking Draught Beer! Worth taking the earlier 15:40 Railjet Service to experience the Draught Beer. But sensible to make a Reservation if they are free?
 
Last edited:

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Joined
22 Feb 2011
Messages
21,931
Location
Mold, Clwyd
Excellent - I've been to Budapest a few times before so don't mind an earlier departure. As they say my ticket will be valid on any train then I only need a Reservation for the 16:40 as I already have a ticket?
Just a slight word of caution: DB will let you swap trains, but the Budapest-Vienna section isn't on their trains (OBB or MAV).
I think you'll need to show evidence of the disruption, at least.
 

rvdborgt

Established Member
Joined
24 Feb 2022
Messages
2,514
Location
Leuven
Just a slight word of caution: DB will let you swap trains, but the Budapest-Vienna section isn't on their trains (OBB or MAV).
I think you'll need to show evidence of the disruption, at least.
You're only fixed to a particular train within Germany. You can choose in Hungary and Austria.
 

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
Definately reserve if you can on the Budapest to Vienna. Even in 1st class they are often wedged during the summer.
PS, last time I used them there was no draught beer, the choice was bottled Puntigamer or Gosser. After Hungarian beers, that will come as a shock, Puntigamer is Fosters level awful and Gosser is not much better ;)
 
Last edited:

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
538
Location
Hawarden
Definately reserve if you can on the Budapest to Vienna. Even in 1st class they are often wedged during the summer.
PS, last time I used them there was no draught beer, the choice was bottled Puntigamer or Gosser. After Hungarian beers, that will come as a shock, Puntigamer is Fosters level awful and Gosser is not much better ;)
Cheers - will definitely Reserve a seat and take some decent carry on beers just in case! To think in 1989 we took the Vienna to Budapest Train in early September and enjoyed a beautiful meal on the way with small Lamps on every table. No Reservations necessary. Followed by the Trans Siberian Railway 2 weeks later to Beijing after travelling Budapest to Moscow.
 
Last edited:

parkender102

Member
Joined
21 Dec 2010
Messages
538
Location
Hawarden
Definately reserve if you can on the Budapest to Vienna. Even in 1st class they are often wedged during the summer.
PS, last time I used them there was no draught beer, the choice was bottled Puntigamer or Gosser. After Hungarian beers, that will come as a shock, Puntigamer is Fosters level awful and Gosser is not much better ;)
I'm on the Railjet now from Budapest to Vienna and can confirm no Draught Beer! Was looking forward to it so I'm afraid its a bottle of Gosser .... However I did have my fill of some really nice Cherry Beer and some nice food in one of the Ruin Bars in the Jewish Quarter at lunchtime so as long as its wet and alcoholic I'm happy. I've only 3 hours in Vienna for a connection to Germany - any suggestions for a short walk and beer stop from Vienna HBF? I've been to Vienna a few times before and I always remember it being huge and sprawling.
 
Last edited:

Zamracene749

Member
Joined
11 Dec 2005
Messages
919
Location
East Durham
I'm on the Railjet now from Budapest to Vienna and can confirm no Draught Beer! Was looking forward to it so I'm afraid its a bottle of Gosser .... However I did have my fill of some really nice Cherry Beer and some nice food in one of the Ruin Bars in the Jewish Quarter at lunchtime so as long as its wet and alcoholic I'm happy. I've only 3 hours in Vienna for a connection to Germany - any suggestions for a short walk and beer stop from Vienna HBF? I've been to Vienna a few times before and I always remember it being huge and sprawling.
Nothing nearby sadly, last time I popped into a nearby hotel bar, desperate supping lol
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top