• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

DB London - Frankfurt service back on again (?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

33Hz

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2010
Messages
513
http://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/london-to-frankfurt-express-trains-by-2020-0tqhstpl9

Direct trains could run between London and Frankfurt within three years under plans to maintain Britain’s post-Brexit links to Europe, The Times has learnt.

Deutsche Bahn, Germany’s state rail operator, is resurrecting proposals to run high-speed trains through the Channel tunnel just as Britain pulls out of the EU.


I was looking forward to this starting in 2013 and if it starts in 2023 - better late than never. Be nice if they could get the journey time down to 4.5 hours though.

Also now spawned a few copycat articles: http://www.standard.co.uk/news/tran...ce-to-launch-within-three-years-a3479571.html

High-speed trains from London to Frankfurt could be launched in the next three years helping the UK maintain links to mainland Europe post-Brexit.

German rail operator Deutsche Bahn has announced plans to run direct trains between London St Pancras and the German finance capital as early as 2020, The Times reported.
 
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Clip

Established Member
Joined
28 Jun 2010
Messages
10,821
I like the sound of that as the current connection at BRussels is risky
 

williamn

Established Member
Joined
22 May 2008
Messages
1,707
I guess for all the city folks whose jobs will now move to Frankfurt...
 

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,160
Location
Duisburg, Germany
who is actually moving to Frankfurt. HSBC is looking at Paris, the DAX-LSE merger is most likely not to happen. And is a journey time in excess of four hours suitable for the business traveller?
Mind you Deutsche Bahn often announced projects that never materialise or only in a downscaled version.
 

gordonthemoron

Established Member
Joined
4 Sep 2006
Messages
6,727
Location
Milton Keynes
who is actually moving to Frankfurt. HSBC is looking at Paris, the DAX-LSE merger is most likely not to happen. And is a journey time in excess of four hours suitable for the business traveller?
Mind you Deutsche Bahn often announced projects that never materialise or only in a downscaled version.

Perhaps they'll put the ICE-TD on the service <D
 

33Hz

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2010
Messages
513
Turns out the story is another exercise in wishful thinking http://www.railjournal.com/index.php/europe/db-still-interested-in-london-frankfurt-services.html

GERMAN Rail (DB) has told IRJ it has no plans to launch ICE services from Frankfurt to London in 2020, contrary to reports in the British media, but says it still sees potential for the route in the medium-term.

The Times reported on March 2 that DB intends to introduce high-speed services between Germany and London in 2020 or soon after, but DB says this is “definitely not the case.”
 
Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Perhaps they'll put the ICE-TD on the service

The 20 ICE TD will be withdrawn. 4 are still running; the other 15 can be bought. 1 was damaged in Hof in 2001.
 
Joined
7 Jan 2009
Messages
1,031
Yes, it's a M. Gounon musing again. I think the context really was about very long term development of more operators for the tunnel, but the UK press somewhat got hold of the wrong end of the stick!
 

33Hz

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2010
Messages
513
The Times' transport correspondent has recent form when it comes to getting the wrong end of the stick...
 

jayiscupid

Member
Joined
19 Aug 2015
Messages
140
Location
Singapore
Until they can sort out the passport issue in Koln and Frankfurt I can't see this happening. Detraining everyone in Lille or Brussels for passport checks will add 75 mins to the journey and kill the time advantage.
 

GingerSte

Member
Joined
26 May 2010
Messages
292
Until they can sort out the passport issue in Koln and Frankfurt I can't see this happening. Detraining everyone in Lille or Brussels for passport checks will add 75 mins to the journey and kill the time advantage.

I was at Koln Hauptbahnhof last week. I used the Thalys service, which departed for Brussels from Platform 8(D-G), so I assume a London service would do the same. FYI, platform 8 is an island platform, with (I think) platform 9.

The area underneath the platforms is currently used by a large number of shops/restaurants. It's practically its own shopping mall. It wouldn't be the hardest (or most expensive) thing in the world to convert part of this space to passport control, a waiting area and a travelator up to platform level. There is so much retail space down there that the loss of some of it wouldn't be a terrible thing. (Just don't get rid of the Bratwurst place!) Plus, the area of the mall under Pl 8 isn't the prime real estate, as it's not near the main entrance.

The 200m Thalys train only took up half the platform, so a 400m Eurostar set shouldn't have a great problem. Assuming the same solution currently being suggested for Amsterdam, a screen could be used to separate platforms 8 and 9, and the London-bound section of a Eurostar from the Schengen-bound section. My preference would be for clear barriers with plenty of doors. The doors could then be open between services, and the relevant areas only secured when needed. I assume it would be something like 1 train per 2 hours, so most of the time the platforms would be relatively open.

There is a lot of space between tracks, and (what we in the UK call) the 6 foot already has a number of structures in it - plant buildings, I think. Putting a fence between the tracks for 7 and 8 would therefore not be a big problem (IMO).

My train from Brussels arrived on platform 3 or 4 (I think - I wasn't paying too much attention). Bearing in mind there was no passport control on arrival at Brussels from London (it was all done at St P), I would imagine the same would apply at Koln for arrivals from London. Obviously, this may change in the future, though.

I can't speak for Frankfurt, having not yet been there. Personally speaking, I would love a direct train to at least Koln (more than any other city in Germany), but that's because I know someone there.
 

ac-03

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2014
Messages
30
What about the other stops the train makes? The Thalys trains stops at Aachen and Liege?

Check in for Eurostar Services is a farce still at Brussels because of the Lille loop hole still.

Border Force UK are handing out stamped bits off paper with your passport number on. You have to hand them in at STP.
 

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,160
Location
Duisburg, Germany
I cannot see a styrile section being created at Köln Hbf for London services. The station lacks platform space as it is. Maybe at Köln Messe/Deutz or a direct run from from Aachen to Düsseldorf? The latter has plenty spare capacity, it would exclude Frankfurt though.
 

33Hz

Member
Joined
2 Dec 2010
Messages
513
What about the other stops the train makes? The Thalys trains stops at Aachen and Liege?

Check in for Eurostar Services is a farce still at Brussels because of the Lille loop hole still.

Border Force UK are handing out stamped bits off paper with your passport number on. You have to hand them in at STP.


I travel through Brussels once or twice a month and the last time I had such a stamped piece of paper was 2014.
 

ac-03

Member
Joined
29 Jul 2014
Messages
30
Happened to me on Monday 20/02/2017.

Travelled on the 1756 from Bruxelles.

Seemed a bit of a farce having your passport checked twice at Brussels. Then again in London
 

fandroid

Established Member
Joined
9 Nov 2014
Messages
2,569
Location
Hampshire
A propos of nothing much- Historical note. Those wide low "platforms" between the conventional platforms at Koln Hbf featured in Portillo's TV programme on railways in WW1, only he was filmed at Metz (part of Germany in 1914). The explanation was they were designed for military trains, with soldiers using the high platform and the low one on the other side of the train being used for their equipment.
 
Last edited:

duesselmartin

Established Member
Joined
18 Jan 2014
Messages
2,160
Location
Duisburg, Germany
Cologne also has those Low platforms. So do many other stations. Until the 1990 s they were used for baggage or postal loadings. In Köln, they are still used by catering staff.
 

GingerSte

Member
Joined
26 May 2010
Messages
292
I cannot see a styrile section being created at Köln Hbf for London services. The station lacks platform space as it is. Maybe at Köln Messe/Deutz or a direct run from from Aachen to Düsseldorf? The latter has plenty spare capacity, it would exclude Frankfurt though.

I agree that it would be difficult to split 8 and 9. This is one of the narrower platform islands. In this case, I would either sterilise the D-G end of both 8 and 9, or use platform 7 (much wider, and still works with the track layout).

I would also run trains from Köln only outside the peak commuter hours, when the pressure on the platforms would (I imagine) be a lot less.

Cologne also has those Low platforms. So do many other stations. Until the 1990 s they were used for baggage or postal loadings. In Köln, they are still used by catering staff.

I saw one or two catering vehicles using those low platforms.

A propos of nothing much- Historical note. Those wide low "platforms" between the conventional platforms at Koln Hbf featured in Portillo's TV programme on railways in WW1, only he was filmed at Metz (part of Germany in 1914). The explanation was they were designed for military trains, with soldiers using the high platform and the low one on the other side of the train being used for their equipment.

I didn't know that. Thanks!
 
Last edited:

Groningen

Established Member
Joined
14 Jan 2015
Messages
2,866
Hamburg Hbf has also such low platforms; not in use for passengers. But there could be more stations.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top