• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Day Travelcards from Brighton on ITSO

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
How can I buy a Day Travelcard from Brighton on ITSO from a smartphone app? You used to be able to get it from the EMR app but that no longer seems to work. The EMR app does still sell them from other stations. For example, from Woking.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mattdickinson

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2010
Messages
605
Location
Uxbridge
How can I buy a Day Travelcard from Brighton on ITSO from a smartphone app? You used to be able to get it from the EMR app but that no longer seems to work. The EMR app does still sell them from other stations. For example, from Woking.
GWR offers it on their app (if you have a GWR smartcard)
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,542
Does anyone have any idea why the EMR app stopped working?
For reasons best known to Govia Thameslink Railway (or pre-GTR Southern Railway, initially) they created ITSO-specific 'Smart' ticket types instead of making existing paper ticket types fulfillable to ITSO smartcards like other TOCs have done. In recent months GTR/TSGN have removed some Smart tickets and made paper fares ITSO-compatible in their place so my suspicion is that GWR have adapted to this change on the web/app retail side whereas EMR haven't.

Does the GWR app not accept any ITSO card? (I thought that was the whole point - let's ignore the ScotRail situation).
For ITSO ticket purchases by app or web the retailer must also be the card issuer. This is not limited to GWR.
 

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
I'm on the GWR app and it seems to allow me to add the ticket to my EMR smartcard, although I haven't actually gone through with the payment as I ended up getting the ticket at the machine.
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,542
I'm on the GWR app and it seems to allow me to add the ticket to my EMR smartcard, although I haven't actually gone through with the payment as I ended up getting the ticket at the machine.
In my experience the booking process either requires entry of a smartcard number at some point (to check it's one of theirs) or an application for a new smartcard from the retailer in question. I don't think GWR is any different in that respect.
 

Jim

Established Member
Joined
11 Jun 2005
Messages
3,490
Location
Wick
Always catches me out when seeing a normal out and back ticket on a smartcard when gripping, see it so rarely!
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,542
Tried it myself on the GWR app (I have a GTR Key Smartcard rather than the EMR equivalent).

1000023467e.png

As per the above screenshot I received the following error message upon tapping my smartcard - Your smartcard cannot be used with adult tickets, please choose a different delivery type

Was it different for you @johncrossley?
 

redreni

Established Member
Joined
24 Sep 2010
Messages
2,722
Location
Slade Green
Always catches me out when seeing a normal out and back ticket on a smartcard when gripping, see it so rarely!
For outboundary day Travelcards the only available formats are generally CCST or ITSO (not sure if Oyster is an option for something like a Gatwick Airport outboundary Travelcard? It certainly wouldn't be an option for anywhere outside the Oyster area).

Paper Travelcards are becoming a right pain at the London end. Much better to have it on ITSO.
 

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
Tried it myself on the GWR app (I have a GTR Key Smartcard rather than the EMR equivalent).

View attachment 211883

As per the above screenshot I received the following error message upon tapping my smartcard - Your smartcard cannot be used with adult tickets, please choose a different delivery type

Was it different for you @johncrossley?
1789912478400.png

This is what I get with the EMR smartcard. With the GTR smartcard, I get the same error as you. I don't use the GTR smartcard for Travelcards as I have KeyGo on it, so I avoid potential confusion.
 
Last edited:

OscarH

Established Member
Joined
15 Sep 2020
Messages
1,289
Location
Crawley
For reasons best known to Govia Thameslink Railway (or pre-GTR Southern Railway, initially) they created ITSO-specific 'Smart' ticket types instead of making existing paper ticket types fulfillable to ITSO smartcards like other TOCs have done. In recent months GTR/TSGN have removed some Smart tickets and made paper fares ITSO-compatible in their place so my suspicion is that GWR have adapted to this change on the web/app retail side whereas EMR haven't.
If switching to the normal ticket types has broken it that's horrifying
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,542
View attachment 211886

This is what I get with the EMR smartcard. With the GTR smartcard, I get the same error as you. I don't use the GTR smartcard for Travelcards as I have KeyGo on it, so I avoid potential confusion.
How odd. That's the first time I've seen another operator's smartcard not being rejected at that stage of the booking process on an app, possible issues with completing the sale notwithstanding.

It's also surprising to see ITSO fulfilment offered for a Super Off-Peak ticket (including Evening/Sunday Out on SWR etc) - it happens on occasion but the Cubic gates and validators are incapable of validating them. Or have they given you green lights for that category as well?!
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,542
Yet another layer of complexity... ain't that a surprise? :lol:
 

johncrossley

Established Member
Joined
30 Mar 2021
Messages
4,442
Location
London
I have now tried the GWR app with my other three ITSO cards. I get the same error as @Edvid with my Scotrail and Chiltern smartcards. However, my Metrocard (Liverpool City Region) works!
 

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,582
Location
Crayford
(not sure if Oyster is an option for something like a Gatwick Airport outboundary Travelcard? It certainly wouldn't be an option for anywhere outside the Oyster area).
Outboundary period travelcards can be sold on Oyster for Watford Junction, Broxbourne to Hertford East inclusive and Shenfield. Watford Junction is also included on a zones 2-9 and 4-9 travelcard.
 

MrJeeves

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
28 Aug 2015
Messages
4,712
Location
Burgess Hill
How can I buy a Day Travelcard from Brighton on ITSO from a smartphone app?
Will you shoot me down if I simply suggest buying it from a ticket machine?

There's plenty of them at Brighton (until GTR start turning some off like they've done in some other places!), all with ITSO smartcard readers and I've never seen them all in use. You should be able to do it in under a minute if you've done it before.

If you're not starting in Brighton, I'm pretty sure the S&B TVMs for GTR allow you to buy a ticket from another location in the Smartcard flow, but I'm happy to be corrected.
 

winks

Member
Joined
11 Jun 2009
Messages
626
It's also surprising to see ITSO fulfilment offered for a Super Off-Peak ticket (including Evening/Sunday Out on SWR etc) - it happens on occasion but the Cubic gates and validators are incapable of validating them.
Are you sure about this ? Are you saying SWR offer evening out and super off-peak tickets on their touch smartcard. I’m pretty sure they don’t currently offer it
 

Edvid

Established Member
Joined
7 Feb 2008
Messages
2,542
Are you sure about this ? Are you saying SWR offer evening out and super off-peak tickets on their touch smartcard.
Yes, it was discussed in another thread last April.
 

Top