• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Database of stations and station groups for Windows Phone app

Status
Not open for further replies.

niconico

Member
Joined
14 Nov 2024
Messages
12
Location
North West
Hey! I've been working on fixing up the National Rail Enquiries app for Windows Phone 8.1, as I recently-ish got a Windows Phone for nostalgia and I wanted to see if I could get it working. I've updated it to fix the railcard list (as it's not dynamic), and to use secure connections, so all of the app functionality now works. I'd like to work towards adding new stations that weren't around back when the app was last updated, as there are a lot missing (Headbolt Lane for example, which breaks the app if you open it via the departure boards).

Now for the tricky bit... the station list in the app is coded into the app, in a JSON which is named "stationsjson.txt" (which is quite funny to me considering there are JSON files in the app, they just decided to call this one TXT for whatever reason). The format is confusing to me, and I'm unsure how to go about it.

JSON:
        {
        "StationName":"Barry Stations",
        "StationCode":"7",
        "StationID": 1,
        "Lat": 0.0,
        "Lon":0.0,
        "StationType":1
        }
        ,
        {
        "StationName":"Liverpool Central",
        "StationCode":"LVC",
        "StationID": 1,
        "Lat": 53.40461053,
        "Lon":-2.979159936,
        "StationType":0
        }

There seem to be different types of stations, there are station groups (like Manchester Stations, Barry Stations), areas (like Birkenhead, Battersea), and then actual stations (Liverpool Central, Liverpool James Street), but also ones that I can't tell the meaning behind (like Gatwick Airport C.H.S. with the code XGT, or Liverpool Landing State (LVS)).

To get to the point, would there be a database somewhere that I can get all the information I need that would match whatever National Rail has on their website? Station name and station code, latitude and longitude would be quite easy to get for actual stations, but the groups and areas and the 'weird ones' are entirely unknown to me, and I wouldn't know what to set for their station type or station ID (which seems to be always 1 so that one would be easier).

(If this is in the wrong category then my apologies)
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top