CC 72100
Established Member
- Joined
- 23 Jan 2012
- Messages
- 3,851
Hi,
Did the Sunday only service to Okehampton on the weekend, arrived at a lovely Okehampton station, buffet open, shop open, BBQ on, plenty of volunteers and public milling about, like a perfect heritage railway, except.... no trains.
I understand from reading the Dartmoor Railway Supporters association website that DCR have suspended all standard operations on the railway. The Dartmoor railway's own website seems to be down and there's not really much more info about it on the DRSA site.
Does anyone have any further insight into why this is the case? Had they had been operating Sunday, I'd have probably gone up to Meldon quarry. However, with there being nothing really of interest to me, I took the train straight back. Okehampton as a town and the Dartmoor Railway lose out, as I'd have quite happily spent my money otherwise. One would expect that they'd make the most of the Sunday railway connection to Exeter and beyond, but quite the contrary, as has been normal recently, no trains.
On a side note, the Okehampton service had about 15 - 20 people on it each way. There would have been more had FGW actually advertised it... I had to go onto Open Train times to find out about it, with no mention of it on posters at Exeter SD or on their website. Only mention in their own publicity was in the start of the timetable book that they produce. In short, if you didn't know about the services, or didn't know how to/ couldn't be bothered to find the info on them, then you'd be unaware. Poor effort.
Did the Sunday only service to Okehampton on the weekend, arrived at a lovely Okehampton station, buffet open, shop open, BBQ on, plenty of volunteers and public milling about, like a perfect heritage railway, except.... no trains.
I understand from reading the Dartmoor Railway Supporters association website that DCR have suspended all standard operations on the railway. The Dartmoor railway's own website seems to be down and there's not really much more info about it on the DRSA site.
Does anyone have any further insight into why this is the case? Had they had been operating Sunday, I'd have probably gone up to Meldon quarry. However, with there being nothing really of interest to me, I took the train straight back. Okehampton as a town and the Dartmoor Railway lose out, as I'd have quite happily spent my money otherwise. One would expect that they'd make the most of the Sunday railway connection to Exeter and beyond, but quite the contrary, as has been normal recently, no trains.
On a side note, the Okehampton service had about 15 - 20 people on it each way. There would have been more had FGW actually advertised it... I had to go onto Open Train times to find out about it, with no mention of it on posters at Exeter SD or on their website. Only mention in their own publicity was in the start of the timetable book that they produce. In short, if you didn't know about the services, or didn't know how to/ couldn't be bothered to find the info on them, then you'd be unaware. Poor effort.
