irish_rail
On Moderation
They are just getting desperate as their reader base disintegrates. Traditionally, Telegraph readers where well educated , and unsurprisingly lately the well educated and well informed will not stand for this kind of content. With the Tory party about as popular as bubonic plague right now, there really aren't many readers left. I know people who where Telegraph readers but switched after the frankly daft pro brexit stance. It feels the Telegraph is now trying to appeal to Sun and Mail readers, and I suspect won't be too successful. I can see it being a casualty in the coming years and ceasing to exist.Yes - compared to, say, The Times (which I subscribe to), The Telegraph appears to have moved sharply towards low brow tabloid style journalism. Making an anonymous internet forum the basis of a news article discussing a specialist/niche job role is seriously desperate stuff. Presumably they think it’s the kind of thing their reader base wants.
That’s how it seems to me. Sadly they are quite a few like that in the industry, albeit a minority, as you say. Of course another possibility is that the poster being quoted was a figment of the journalist’s imagination.