• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cyclist almost gets hit by train after jumping barriers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,544
Location
LBK
In India I have actually seen people doing that.

In videos, I have seen people scramble across an American freight train (over the couplings/wells) which came to rest across a level crossing.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,623
Location
Isle of Man
As to stopping the man a bystander quoted in the local paper said he was very aggressive and 'off his nut' - this person implied he would be afraid to become involved. (and he looks like a big bloke)

Judging by his demeanour, I'd guess he was off his face. And probably not on a Party Four.

I wouldn't be trying to stop him.
 

nanstallon

Member
Joined
18 Dec 2015
Messages
1,063
Cyclists used to be nice people. Nowadays, they have that hard 'militant' attitude that everybody is against them and they must assert themselves all the time. Other than the trauma caused to the train driver, I'd welcome cyclists getting seriously injured, at least enough to discourage others.
 

GW43125

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2014
Messages
2,313
Other than the trauma caused to the train driver, I'd welcome cyclists getting seriously injured, at least enough to discourage others.

In my opinion, if it weren't for the driver and all the poor gangs who have to clean it up, I'd say let natural selection take its course. We have Darwin Awards for a reason.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
BTP may well make an example of this one.
 

MichaelAMW

Member
Joined
18 Jun 2010
Messages
1,021
Cyclists used to be nice people. Nowadays, they have that hard 'militant' attitude that everybody is against them and they must assert themselves all the time. Other than the trauma caused to the train driver, I'd welcome cyclists getting seriously injured, at least enough to discourage others.

It's that kind of infuriatingly narrow-minded attitude that encourages what appears to be the general view that all cyclists are as bad as the worst, which leads to complete disrespect for the Highway Code and for the safety of those of us on cycles who are scrupulous in our adherence to the law. You're right, there are some very bad and self-righteous cyclists around and I despise them for the "bad press" they create but we're not all like that. I was assaulted two days ago when I was on my bike for, as far as I can tell, the apparent offence of being on the road ahead of a car. My mere presence fuelled enormous aggression in the driver, which can only have come from tarring me with the same brush. Surely you can't seriously "welcome" someone get badly hurt as a way of encouraging the others?
 

al78

Established Member
Joined
7 Jan 2013
Messages
2,600
It's that kind of infuriatingly narrow-minded attitude that encourages what appears to be the general view that all cyclists are as bad as the worst, which leads to complete disrespect for the Highway Code and for the safety of those of us on cycles who are scrupulous in our adherence to the law. You're right, there are some very bad and self-righteous cyclists around and I despise them for the "bad press" they create but we're not all like that. I was assaulted two days ago when I was on my bike for, as far as I can tell, the apparent offence of being on the road ahead of a car. My mere presence fuelled enormous aggression in the driver, which can only have come from tarring me with the same brush. Surely you can't seriously "welcome" someone get badly hurt as a way of encouraging the others?

Well said. It is an unfortunate failure of human cognition which seeks to demonise a minority based on extreme cases (and the tabloid scum encourage this). A primitive and illogical attitude which belongs in the hunter-gatherer days, not in a modern advanced civilisation. There are idiots in all walks of life. I don't demonise motorists just because one nearly killed me two years ago. :roll:
 

Paul180

Member
Joined
3 Jan 2010
Messages
204
Location
Do you mind I am from Surrey
It looks like they are still looking for the **** they have even put a bounty on him.
http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/level-crossing-loon-reward-trace-13220673

A reward of up to £2,000 has been offered to identify a cyclist who diced with death by jumping the barriers at a level crossing, narrowly avoiding being hit by an oncoming train.

The man, who can be heard shouting "I don't f**king care, mate!" as he is filmed picking up his bicycle and barging through the barriers, then gesticulates violently at the approaching South West Trains service.
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,544
Location
LBK
How much is the fine? Less than £2,000 I'd say. Might be profitable for the man to come forward. :lol:
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top