• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

'Curnow Irrupter' 28th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

ACE1888

Member
Joined
2 Apr 2011
Messages
823
Location
Penzance, Cornwall
Was really tempted by this tour (Pathfinder Tours) 2 x 37+66 to freight only places in Cornwall, but at £79.50 from all pick up points (For me it would be Exeter St Davids), the tour starts at Tame Bridge btw...
Tame Bridge Parkway
0550
2310
Birmingham New St. 0620 2250
Barnt Green 0650 2225
Cheltenham Spa 0725 2145
Bristol Parkway 0815 2050
Bristol Temple Meads 0830 2030
Taunton 0920 1940
Exeter St. Davids 1025 1905

Certainly I'm not a cheapskate but is this a 'regular' pricing for this sort of Railtour??:roll: Seems a bit unfair on the likes of us SW folk?
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

323235

Established Member
Joined
8 Dec 2007
Messages
2,130
Location
North East Cheshire
I've booked on this as I'm reliably informed that no tours have done the freight branches for ages and therefore I really want to do them. I also think £79.50 is way too steep for joining at EXD but then it is the norm for freight branch tours and Chingfinder tours to be more expensive and to be fair Exeter is where the real part of the tour starts so I wouldn't expect it to be much cheaper.

I've booked in a hotel round the corner from EXD for £32 per night and I'm getting a Freedom of the South West =D
Can't wait.

Just hoping it ain't gonna be the same Tractors on that and the Kernow Explorer III which I'm also doing.
 
Last edited:

Chester025

Member
Joined
29 Jun 2008
Messages
1,066
Unfortunatley if you want to do Freight Branches extra costs come with it. For 3 locos and the distance and track covered I can see why it is £79.50. Still quite alot though!
 

theblackwatch

Established Member
Joined
15 Feb 2006
Messages
10,889
It works both ways though - if you, living down the West Country, were to have done the Pathfinder trip from Bristol to South Yorkshire in January, you would have paid the same fare as a northerner joining the tour at Stafford thereby benefitting on comparison to those in the north and midlands. At the end of the day, you are taking up a seat on the tour and promoters will normally only be able to afford to offer discounts for those joining later in the trip if they can market and sell your seat to someone else on the empty section.
 

MidnightFlyer

Veteran Member
Joined
16 May 2010
Messages
12,856
On it. Awesome. Same day I permanently finish school too :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
northerner joining the tour at Stafford thereby benefitting on comparison to those in the north and midlands.

I did that. Spitfire are based in Taunton, so quite a lot of tours originate in Somerset/Wilts/Avon, a lot more so than up here!
 
Last edited:

Drimnagh Road

Member
Joined
13 Mar 2009
Messages
688
Location
Dublin
Spitfire's 37 tour on the same day from Brum to Newcastle is where I'll be.

At the end of the day, I couldn't care where the tour goes as long as it's 37 hauled, and as there is two on the same day I would rather pay £55 for a pair of 37s then £79.50 for a pair of 37s, the latter with the added turn off of featuring a 66.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top