70014IronDuke
Established Member
- Joined
- 13 Jun 2015
- Messages
- 4,089
There is a somewhat strange arrangement on this line in the mornings.
(Apologies, I should have opened the timetable before posting this, now I shall have to do it from memory).
In the mornings, I think it is the third northbound service from Barrow terminates at Sellafield around 09.00 and then heads back to Barrow. (I assume this is primarily to serve BNFL workers.)
Meanwhile, there is a southbound train from Carlisle train that terminates at Whitehaven.
Does anyone know why these trains are not just extended northwards and southwards to create two through services? OK, there may be some delays by 10 minutes or so to current services, but surely the advantage of having through trains would outweigh any disadvantages - especially as by not doing so creates a huge gap in connecting trains at a popular time for departure.
It means eg anyone leaving Whitehaven or Workington for the south either has to get up at dawn or wait until mid-morning. And v v for someone wanting to head north from Millom/Ravenglass/Sellafield. Maybe there is not a huge traffic demand (it's too late for most working commuters, probably) but still seems to me to be a strange negative timetabling move.
(Apologies, I should have opened the timetable before posting this, now I shall have to do it from memory).
In the mornings, I think it is the third northbound service from Barrow terminates at Sellafield around 09.00 and then heads back to Barrow. (I assume this is primarily to serve BNFL workers.)
Meanwhile, there is a southbound train from Carlisle train that terminates at Whitehaven.
Does anyone know why these trains are not just extended northwards and southwards to create two through services? OK, there may be some delays by 10 minutes or so to current services, but surely the advantage of having through trains would outweigh any disadvantages - especially as by not doing so creates a huge gap in connecting trains at a popular time for departure.
It means eg anyone leaving Whitehaven or Workington for the south either has to get up at dawn or wait until mid-morning. And v v for someone wanting to head north from Millom/Ravenglass/Sellafield. Maybe there is not a huge traffic demand (it's too late for most working commuters, probably) but still seems to me to be a strange negative timetabling move.