Shaw S Hunter
Established Member
Top & Tail is going to be extremely expensive. Having to hire two 68's instead of one 37. Hiring a DRS Driver to drive the 68 but they will still have to pay the Northern driver as well. This is going to be a very expensive service. I think if they're going to hire two 68's they can put them to much better use elsewhere than the Cumbrian Coast.
It will be expensive, no doubt. But by keeping them on the Cumbrian Coast the size of the attendant problems/risks is minimised somewhat. It's also reasonably close to DRS' own facilities meaning maintenance and troubleshooting can happen quite quickly. Just where else did you have in mind?
I am going to try to combine a trip up from Kent via the Settle to Carlisle line and come back down the Cumbrian coast. The 14:35 from Carlisle is the best option for me so it looks like I am in luck on Fridays for that being 37 hauled.