• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cumbrian Coast Loco Hauled Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tringonometry

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2011
Messages
157
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Newshy37

Member
Joined
3 Mar 2012
Messages
179
Oops. Are there any figures, just out of curiosity as to what has been the cause of delays/cancellations. Loco/dbso/coach/train crew unavailable etc? Coach failures other than dbso, I would find interesting. Thanks.
 

156443

Member
Joined
28 Mar 2016
Messages
183
Location
Prudhoe
Does anyone know the departure times from Carlisle for Loco Hauled Services to Barrow on a Saturday as going up next week for photos of the 37’s before they are withdrawn
 

wipers

Member
Joined
20 Sep 2017
Messages
76
Location
London
I might be wrong but I think that the 37's only run during the week on the peak time trains.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,469

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
18 Dec 2009
Messages
6,615
Seems Northern have been getting ever more desperate - even resorting to using electric tractions this morning for the first off Carlisle, if this is to be believed
http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/Y50533/2018/01/17/advanced

(Anyone know the 'real' story behind this?)

Probably an incorrect attribution initially. That's why Level 2 attributors exist. Hardly something to shout about.

It's all correct now.

In any case:

This service was cancelled throughout due to a problem with the overhead line power collection equipment (M1).

Is a perfectly valid reason for cancelling a diesel service - for instance, what if an electric set were sat obstructing the route out of the depot meaning that the diesel set could not get out to form this service...
 

Class 170101

On Moderation
Joined
1 Mar 2014
Messages
8,664
Given the the well documented problems with Electrification on the Bolton corridor is it likely that Class 37s (or 68s) will remain on the Cumbrian Coast beyond May 2018 timetable change.

Also if a DMU was to step in for the 05:15 Carlisle starter I thought this service was driven by DRS crew as Carlisle depot (Northern) don't sign the Cumbrian Coast pr has this changed?
 

D6975

Established Member
Joined
26 Nov 2009
Messages
3,053
Location
Bristol
DRS crews only bring the 05:15 into Carlisle, a Northern driver takes over from there, seen it happen myself.

According to the times now loaded into Open Train Times, the 05:15 from May runs empty to Maryport (from? - no ecs showing at the mo) and starts there. There is however a new 06:16 to BIF that looks like it might be the loco hauled instead. Remember that from May the loco hauleds are supposedly doing 2.5 return trips between CAR and BIF, not going beyond BIF.
ps there's also a 0553 CAR-BIF but that looks like a unit. Perhaps to make the Sellafield worker's early bird more reliable?
 
Last edited:

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Seems to be contradictory info about what's happening both at the end of next week and in May, I guess the situation with regard to May might change with Preston Manchester electrification issues.

Had a trip on them yesterday, excellent day weather surprisingly good.
 

Essexman

Established Member
Joined
15 Mar 2011
Messages
1,476
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. I saw on twitter today that one class 37 diagram is moving to class 68 this month. Is it known how much longer the class 37s will remain? I'm keen to do another trip, this time the full length, but hoped it would be the spring.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,370
Location
Yorkshire
There seems to be a lot of conflicting information. I saw on twitter today that one class 37 diagram is moving to class 68 this month. Is it known how much longer the class 37s will remain? I'm keen to do another trip, this time the full length, but hoped it would be the spring.
Think the 37s are going at the end of this week. I too was hoping to do them in spring but that's bumped up to tomorrow now... The 0736 at Batley it is!
 

Tringonometry

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2011
Messages
157
Think the 37s are going at the end of this week.

That's news to me. Don't think DRS have sufficient drivers yet who sign the route *and* 68s.

However, as both 'first trains of the day' had loco issues* this morning - anything's possible.

*0515CARLAN ran as a unit
*0546BIFCAR cancelled - LHCS set originally for 0515 to be fettled and inserted at Carlisle for the return 0842CARBIF
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,370
Location
Yorkshire
That's news to me. Don't think DRS have sufficient drivers yet who sign the route *and* 68s.

However, as both 'first trains of the day' had loco issues* this morning - anything's possible.

*0515CARLAN ran as a unit
*0546BIFCAR cancelled - LHCS set originally for 0515 to be fettled and inserted at Carlisle for the return 0842CARBIF
Does that mean the 1003 ex-Preston will be a unit? Showing as a unit on RTT but I know timing loads aren't gospel...

Hope I've not picked the wrong day, I definitely have weather-wise!
 

Tringonometry

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2011
Messages
157
Does that mean the 1003 ex-Preston will be a unit? Showing as a unit on RTT but I know timing loads aren't gospel...

Hope I've not picked the wrong day, I definitely have weather-wise!

I think you've been bowled. *sadface*

0842CARBIF still awaiting stock as well. At 0915. Not good.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,370
Location
Yorkshire
I think you've been bowled. *sadface*

0842CARBIF still awaiting stock as well. At 0915. Not good.
Hmmm... at least I'm getting some new track in, not that I'm overly fussed about such things... honest!

How much disruption does there need to be for my Cumbrian Coast Day Ranger to qualify for delay repay? Obviously I can't do anything about the stock of course. Oh well, hopefully I'll have better luck in spring for the 68s...

On the plus side, just rounding Farington Curve and it's stopped raining.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,370
Location
Yorkshire
Foxfield is good.
Aye, the friendly guard suggested there too. Might go further up the coast though to get my money's worth on my day ranger. May depend on what unit is subbing for the other LHCS set- if it's a Merseytravel Pacer then Foxfield will win a visit from me, but anything else might mean I'll go up to Flimby as there's a pub there with decent reviews.
 

47802

Established Member
Joined
6 Mar 2010
Messages
3,454
Aye, the friendly guard suggested there too. Might go further up the coast though to get my money's worth on my day ranger. May depend on what unit is subbing for the other LHCS set- if it's a Merseytravel Pacer then Foxfield will win a visit from me, but anything else might mean I'll go up to Flimby as there's a pub there with decent reviews.

Comment from elsewhere is that unit will take the other diagram from Barrow, but I guess you will know by now if that's the case or not, I was intending to have a trip up there myself today glad I didn't bother.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,370
Location
Yorkshire
Comment from elsewhere is that unit will take the other diagram from Barrow, but I guess you will know by now if that's the case or not, I was intending to have a trip up there myself today glad I didn't bother.
That is indeed the case... Just left Foxfield with barely any veg on board. 37401 looking forlorn in Barrow sidings!
 

70014IronDuke

Established Member
Joined
13 Jun 2015
Messages
4,089
Not for the first time, apparently.

Hmmmm. If they've regularly used the unit for the Newcastle turn for the 05.15 Barrow when the 37 has played up, it means the 37s are even more unreliable than I'd thought. (Obviously, it doesn't show up on RTT if a unit is substituted.) I bet the good punters between Carlisle - Hexham (in particular) and onwards would be reet peeved to know that their train has been caped due to a Cumbrian Coast LHCS failure. I suppose control just has to make what it thinks is the best decision, with the least number of passengers put out.

61653 really has had a bummer today, with both LHCS sets failing. That's not very common. Maybe some Northern manager will read this thread, takes pity and offer a freebie Day Ranger for another try.

Unless said manager is a Leeds supporter :)
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,370
Location
Yorkshire
Well, my trip up to Flimby wasn't a complete waste... got there to find the pub boarded up, and there's literally nothing else there... but what turned up on the next Barrow? Only one of the LHCS sets!
Not sure which 37 is doing the shoving as I had to run to get it, but I'll find out when I get off.
Update. 402 was on the back, sounded in rude health so whatever the issue was, it's been fixed. 401 also ran for the Sellafield rush, passed it at St. Bees.
 
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top