_toommm_
Established Member
Apparently a 156 on the 05:15 but 37402 expected to take over with the 11:56 (now 424)
Is this for this upcoming Saturday or was it for the Saturday just gone?
Apparently a 156 on the 05:15 but 37402 expected to take over with the 11:56 (now 424)
Well that's interesting although if diagrams continue to alternate past May I'm not sure why you would bother with the 153, as 3 x MK2 with a with a brake is about the same capacity as a 156 and their will be a lot less enthusiasts on the 156, unless it runs with 4 carriages, people are suggesting there is an issue at Whitehaven with the platform and signal position which may require a reduction to 3 carriages but they ran with 4 carriages when the 37's initially ran T&T
Well that's interesting although if diagrams continue to alternate past May I'm not sure why you would bother with the 153, as 3 x MK2 with a with a brake is about the same capacity as a 156 and their will be a lot less enthusiasts on the 156, unless it runs with 4 carriages, people are suggesting there is an issue at Whitehaven with the platform and signal position which may require a reduction to 3 carriages but they ran with 4 carriages when the 37's initially ran T&T
Goodness! I don't think you understand the market on the Cumbrian Coast.
Although the local hauled sets have generated a small amount of interest, it is completely insignificant in relation to the other flows. The first northbound and southbound loco services are specifically designed to cater for Sellafield workers and as such are pretty much full. If the service could be shown to be reliable it would be easy to fill a 3 car sprinter from either end and probably easy to fill a 4 car. On top of that there are commuter flows to Carlisle, Workington, Whitehaven and Barrow and smaller communities like Millom with poor bus services and low car ownership. Then there is the tourist nature of the route and the major attraction at Ravenglass as well as its proximity to many long distance walks and cycle routes.
A reliable frequent clock face timetable would probably require peak time capacity in the region of 2 x 156 going forward.
And you have completely misssd the point I was making which is that unless the diagrams change to out and back diagrams in may, unlike the present diagrams where set A works from Barrow on day 1 and then works from Carlisle the following day you would have a capacity mismatch between a suggested 3 carriage class 68 working, and a 156+153 working it wasn't really a comment on whether the capacity is sufficiant, and made a fairly obvious comment that a DMU working is likely to have less enthusiasts onboard. To get roughly equivalent capacities of a 156+153 you would need 4 carriage Mk2's as now, while 3 MK2's doesn't offer much more than a single 156.
No need to get excited, I was simply responding to your comment about 'a lot less enthiusiasts'. The busy Sellafield services have an average of zero and the off peaks attract 2-10 on an average day.
Do we have some up to date stats on the reliability of the trains themselves, compared to others?
I get the impression that a lot of the delays are due to other things.
I wonder if passengers are going to be a bit disappointed when they find out their "new" trains are going to be rattly sprinters which are still not going to provide a highly reliable service.
From other forum's I believe there are some stats floating about which show that the Loco Hauled Trains are significantly below Northern 156's, in any case like it or not rattly sprinters is the longer term plan.
From other forum's I believe there are some stats floating about which show that the Loco Hauled Trains are significantly below Northern 156's, in any case like it or not rattly sprinters is the longer term plan.
Given that the class 156s are Northern's most reliable diesel fleet (and seventh most reliable Sprinter fleet in the country, out of 23, at the time of last years' "Golden Spanner" awards - Bearing in mind that the top three are the stupendous results that South West Trains have turned in year after year), I'm not sure how much more they could do! As of September/October 2016, they were nearly THREE TIMES more reliable than the class 37 hauled rakes, though I don't know how the latter have fared in this years' "Golden Spanners".I wonder if passengers are going to be a bit disappointed when they find out their "new" trains are going to be rattly sprinters which are still not going to provide a highly reliable service.
What's all this with commuters? If you are flying (say) out of Manchester at 16.00 and need to get the 08.42 ex Carlisle at Ravenglass and it doesn't turn up, are you any less inconvenienced?If the stats clearly show that the delays are mainly down to the trains rather than other issues with the line or timetable - then fair enough. A 156 is not in any way as comfortable as a mk2 coach but yes, if you're a commuter then of course the question of whether the train is going to show up reliably is probably a higher priority.
No word as yet. *If* the loco diagrams stay as they are now (and I've not heard otherwise) then that service will be 68 one day and 37 the next ... and so on.Does anyone know for certain which diagram will change to 68's? I assume the Monday morning 29th Jan 05:15 Carlisle-Preston turn but does anyone know for sure? Ta.
Simply that commuters tend to do shorter journeys. Those who do longer journeys will probably tend to rate comfort a bit more highly, relative to reliability, than those who do shorter journeys.What's all this with commuters? If you are flying (say) out of Manchester at 16.00 and need to get the 08.42 ex Carlisle at Ravenglass and it doesn't turn up, are you any less inconvenienced?
I agree, of course, that repeated failures are noticed by daily commuters more - but that is because they travel more (by definition). But if the service is unreliable, everyone suffers who uses it - or would like to use it.
Simply that commuters tend to do shorter journeys. Those who do longer journeys will probably tend to rate comfort a bit more highly, relative to reliability, than those who do shorter journeys.
Thanks. I am assuming the set that will finish at Carlisle on the Saturday (forming the Monday 05:15) would be the one to change locos. I understand after that, that they alternate diagrams. I was just hoping someone would know for sure. Ta.
Wasn't that the point BRX was making?Upto point but if you have ever been a regular train commuter who has experienced an unreliable service then you get to point where anything is acceptable even a coal truck if it actually gets to to work and back on time.
My point was referring to a longer distance commuter which might rate comfort a bit more highly but that's only up to point if you train is unreliable.Wasn't that the point BRX was making?
The date isn't definite yet, let alone deciding which traction runs which diagram.Thanks. I am assuming the set that will finish at Carlisle on the Saturday (forming the Monday 05:15) would be the one to change locos. I understand after that, that they alternate diagrams. I was just hoping someone would know for sure. Ta.
Update:The date isn't definite yet, let alone deciding which traction runs which diagram.![]()