LeylandLen
Member
As we in meteorological autumn , I assume the 37s are better at dealing with leaf fall than any basic 158 or DMUs?
As we in meteorological autumn , I assume the 37s are better at dealing with leaf fall than any basic 158 or DMUs?
Some interesting points above. There is an online picture which appears to show one of the loco hauled sets entering Carlisle piloted by a Class 66.
Why is it the Workington drivers dislike the Class 37s? Could something be done to make them accept the sets?
Also I understand that the DBSOs were modified to mimic the controls of the Class 37. Presumably this puts an impediment in the way of replacing the Class 37s with something else?
When the Class 37 powered sets are working properly they do seem to be very capable of keeping to or ahead of time. They are very comfortable to sets to ride in and could be good for the route if they performed better.
2 or 3 weeks ago I saw a young woman boarding the train at Whitehaven saying "it's one of the slow ones" and expressing concern for when she would arrive. It is a pity they have such a bad reputation.
Whitehaven to Sellafield.... At work start/finish times the traffic is nose to tail, first gear... It's not an easy commute by any method.
Our son spent a year in Sellafield as part of his degree course so is very much aware of this but standing on a cold platform waiting for a train that has been cancelled is not fun. The alternative is being sat in a nice warm car with no one complaining about the stereo.
DBSO 9705 was in the Greater Anglia set yesterday, although there was still a loco at each end and therefore the DBSO cab was not in use. https://flic.kr/p/YhBQ9c
(Photo of 9705 coupled to 37716. For completeness, 37405 was the loco at the other end)
I'm 5050 about the 37s being back. As an enthusiast I say great but as someone who values reliability I do wonder if the few days they have had have been long enough for Kingmoor fitters to find a big enough hammer to use on them!
Speaking to a dispatcher at Lancaster the other day, he said the Workington drivers hate them and will try to fail them over the smallest of things ...
Does anyone know whether all the DRS coaches in use on the Cumbrian Coast loco-hauleds now have retention tank toilets?
Also, do you know whether the second toilet in each coach has actually physically been removed (and if so, has anything else been put in its place?), or is it still in situ but permanently or semi-permanently locked out of use?
I'd advise said dispatcher to pull his neck in. We don't even work them past BIF for a kickoff, so I doubt he's seen more than a couple of us to gauge our attitude and competence.
In other news: how does failing a train benefit the driver? It's just a ballache.
Retention tanks can't be cheap, why would DRS (or Northern) invest in installing them for mrk2s given they don't have power doors and hence are going in 2020? Retention tanks make sense if they're going to be running for a long time, but they're not, are they?Does anyone know whether all the DRS coaches in use on the Cumbrian Coast loco-hauleds now have retention tank toilets?
Retention tanks can't be cheap, why would DRS (or Northern) invest in installing them for mrk2s given they don't have power doors and hence are going in 2020? Retention tanks make sense if they're going to be running for a long time, but they're not, are they?
Retention tanks can't be cheap, why would DRS (or Northern) invest in installing them for mrk2s given they don't have power doors and hence are going in 2020? Retention tanks make sense if they're going to be running for a long time, but they're not, are they?
You know how messroom gossip spreads, don't you?![]()
I think (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) that charter services, because they're not public timetabled services, are exempt from PRM-TSI.
I can confirm that certainly some of the DRS cumbrian fleat have new retention loos but have not been 2020'ised and unsure if entire fleat are done.
37422 failed just outside Workington this afternoon on 2C34 which conveys the Sellafield workers and caused disruption to services..
While we all love "real" loco hauled services I think its about time we called time on the 37's on this route and replace them with either units or 68's.
How many failures have there been in recent weeks? While one failure is really one too many on a line with as sparse a service as the Cumbrian Coast, unless a number have passed "under the radar" then this seems like the first time in a while that the issue has been raised on this forum.While we all love "real" loco hauled services I think its about time we called time on the 37's on this route and replace them with either units or 68's.