Whistler40145
Established Member
Nice to see that 37401 has made it out on the Coast.
Has anyone said on this thread what the shift entry/exit times for Sellafield are? I hope to have a trip up there at some point (am waiting for the DBSOs to appear) but don't want to find myself having to stand. And are there any other major traffic generators / busy services I should be aware of?
37401/37402 took over for 2C34 (14.35 Carlisle-Barrow).
Bit of a disappointment for enthusiasts on incoming service 2C49 (11.38 Barrow-Carlisle) - 142067.![]()
The 17:37 off Carlisle was pretty quiet when I travelled on it on a Friday. There was perhaps a total of four of us in the brake coach at any point during the journey.The 05:xx and 14:xx workings from CAR and BIF are timed roughly for the shiftworkers. Other than that the only ones Im aware of are the 10:04x Preston (understandably) and maybe the evening 17:37 out of Carlisle?
The 17:37 off Carlisle was pretty quiet when I travelled on it on a Friday. There was perhaps a total of four of us in the brake coach at any point during the journey.
I was quite surprised, when I'm used to seeing hordes of Cumbrian Coast passengers piling onto single 153s.Amazing, I thought City workers would use this, are well.
The 17:37 off Carlisle was pretty quiet when I travelled on it on a Friday. There was perhaps a total of four of us in the brake coach at any point during the journey.
They're all air-con mark 2s and, yes, they're air braked.Could i just ask - what are the Mk2s they are using? Are they air con (ie Mk 2Ds or later) or - as I assume from what is written - pre Mk2Ds?
I assume they are not the really early Mk2s, ie they are air-braked?
Thanks.
The schools were still in when I travelled, though I think it was the day that they broke up for the summer.School holidays! Commuter traffic will be quieter than normal!
They're all air-con mark 2s and, yes, they're air braked.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The schools were still in when I travelled, though I think it was the day that they broke up for the summer.
Though non-ETS locos have been used regularly up until now (37218, and a smattering of 37/6s).The Mk2s are f's I think, and all the 37s are ETH locos although only one is used at a time to provide heat.
No DBSOs in use when I was up that way!
Rather good fun was had on the 37s, by gum they made a healthy racket! 402 was particularly noisy when I did it. 409 was a bit of a beast too!
Sadly I didn't get to do the no-heat 37s that were out last week, if only 603 had been on the front of the 1135 Carlisle to Lancaster on Saturday. And if the boards hadn't indicated that it was to be a 153 from platform 2...I also heard another 37/6 was out on Friday, which I'd not received gen on otherwise I'd have gone for it.
I do have a couple of video clips on my phone awaiting transfer, the ones of 409 I messed up by forgetting where the mic is on my phone. Didn't realise at the time that my finger was over it! Shame as that one was audible for ages after it left Aspatria.
401 certainly looked good, seriously long-term dud for me. 402 and 409 were wins though, the former finally being clawed back after I missed it once on a Rhymney turn in 2005. 10 years it took to get that rectified! From what I can gather from my NREA all the DRS 37/4s are now duds, Colas' 37421 needs to get out and on a passenger working asap!
Loadings were very low when I did the coast moves on Wednesday evening, not even the front coach was that busy, and that included the 1004 off Preston Thursday morning. 0914 on Friday morning was very lightly loaded and almost exclusively a handful of cranks due to being delayed and a TPX run to finally show its face and eventually leave. 409 was delayed additionally by about 13 minutes because of it, and as it was repeatedly announced the 350 would go first everyone crammed into it. Rather good racket from 409 that morning, and the turnaround at Preston was impressive, arrived 1000 and was smack on time back out!
Getting two winning 37s in one day in 2015 was just unreal for me, but I was beyond pleased about that! That Anglia brake stinks badly inside mind (9527 for the coach number gang), which is probably why the norms avoided it like nobody's business! The refurbished MK2s were really well done though, 6001, 6122, 5810 were the ones I noted, maybe 17159 too. That one was on the wrong end of my moves for me so didn't examine it.
Long may the 37s continue thrashing up and down the coast, hopefully I'll be back in 2016 to enjoy them again and hopefully on a 7 day NW rover this time!
No DBSOs in use when I was up that way!
Rather good fun was had on the 37s, by gum they made a healthy racket! 402 was particularly noisy when I did it. 409 was a bit of a beast too!
Sadly I didn't get to do the no-heat 37s that were out last week, if only 603 had been on the front of the 1135 Carlisle to Lancaster on Saturday. And if the boards hadn't indicated that it was to be a 153 from platform 2...I also heard another 37/6 was out on Friday, which I'd not received gen on otherwise I'd have gone for it.
I do have a couple of video clips on my phone awaiting transfer, the ones of 409 I messed up by forgetting where the mic is on my phone. Didn't realise at the time that my finger was over it! Shame as that one was audible for ages after it left Aspatria.
401 certainly looked good, seriously long-term dud for me. 402 and 409 were wins though, the former finally being clawed back after I missed it once on a Rhymney turn in 2005. 10 years it took to get that rectified! From what I can gather from my NREA all the DRS 37/4s are now duds, Colas' 37421 needs to get out and on a passenger working asap!
Loadings were very low when I did the coast moves on Wednesday evening, not even the front coach was that busy, and that included the 1004 off Preston Thursday morning. 0914 on Friday morning was very lightly loaded and almost exclusively a handful of cranks due to being delayed and a TPX run to finally show its face and eventually leave. 409 was delayed additionally by about 13 minutes because of it, and as it was repeatedly announced the 350 would go first everyone crammed into it. Rather good racket from 409 that morning, and the turnaround at Preston was impressive, arrived 1000 and was smack on time back out!
Getting two winning 37s in one day in 2015 was just unreal for me, but I was beyond pleased about that! That Anglia brake stinks badly inside mind (9527 for the coach number gang), which is probably why the norms avoided it like nobody's business! The refurbished MK2s were really well done though, 6001, 6122, 5810 were the ones I noted, maybe 17159 too. That one was on the wrong end of my moves for me so didn't examine it.
Long may the 37s continue thrashing up and down the coast, hopefully I'll be back in 2016 to enjoy them again and hopefully on a 7 day NW rover this time!
No DBSOs in use when I was up that way!
........
When was that, last week?
Northern say that they are using DBSOs now - does anyone know if this is correct?![]()
When was that, last week?
Northern say that they are using DBSOs now - does anyone know if this is correct?![]()
No DBSOs in use when I was up that way!
Getting two winning 37s in one day in 2015 was just unreal for me, but I was beyond pleased about that! That Anglia brake stinks badly inside mind (9527 for the coach number gang), which is probably why the norms avoided it like nobody's business! The refurbished MK2s were really well done though, 6001, 6122, 5810 were the ones I noted, maybe 17159 too. That one was on the wrong end of my moves for me so didn't examine it.
Long may the 37s continue thrashing up and down the coast, hopefully I'll be back in 2016 to enjoy them again and hopefully on a 7 day NW rover this time!
Agreed, I've had three runs on this recently while I can - I honestly never thought I would be scoring tractors on service trains again, particularly no heat ones and over three days had 5 new ones, including 3 no heat. Just checked my records and last time I had a winner on a service train before that was 1998 on North Wales coast and I have to go back to 37197 on South Wales valleys in 1994 for a no heat!
Agreed, I've had three runs on this recently while I can - I honestly never thought I would be scoring tractors on service trains again, particularly no heat ones and over three days had 5 new ones, including 3 no heat. Just checked my records and last time I had a winner on a service train before that was 1998 on North Wales coast and I have to go back to 37197 on South Wales valleys in 1994 for a no heat!
Plenty of photos on t'internet.
Here is such a photo**....
https://www.flickr.com/photos/73745...xqs-wXdGtM-wUU6mS-wWtrns-wNhiRK-wS44ge-wQUz99
**Not mine
Last no-heat ones were for me on a Buffer Puffer, 9 I think. Would never expect to get a solo 37 thrashing up the West Coast Main Line on the fast lines!
Being that the 37/4s are (or were) 90mph. loco's and the mk2s 100mph. Are they cleared to operate up to this speed on the WCML between Preston - Carnforth if not t&t with a 37/0 or 37/6?
Interesting question. However, Cl 37s IMX were not easy to push much over 80 mph. Are there any logs of 90 mph being reached on the GE?
RealTimeTrains says these services are timed for 75 mph.
Interesting question. However, Cl 37s IMX were not easy to push much over 80 mph. Are there any logs of 90 mph being reached on the GE?
RealTimeTrains says these services are timed for 75 mph.