Good evening
I travelled on a few services today between Wickford and Southminster and noticed the pateonage seems to be particularly low - is that normal for this route? I counted around 32 total SMN-WIC on a trip this afternoon - surely this is not cost effective and is losing a lot of money?
Also does it really justify a 40 minute frequency? It used to be hourly and Im guessing it was increased due to it not really needing much additional resources to do so. However most of the stations clearly don’t even justify an hourly service, with the exception of South Woodham Ferrers and Burnham-on-Crouch which seem to be the busiest stations on the line by a reasonable amount!
I wonder with the two units would it be beneficial to reduce it to an hourly service but extend to Shenfield which has a lot more connections?
Would patronage increase if more services ran through to London Liverpool Street, maybe as portion working with the Southends?
Lots of thoughts and ideas here but doesn’t seem to justify a 5-car EMU every 40 minutes for 30-40 passengers in total per trip, based on the ones I did.
I travelled on a few services today between Wickford and Southminster and noticed the pateonage seems to be particularly low - is that normal for this route? I counted around 32 total SMN-WIC on a trip this afternoon - surely this is not cost effective and is losing a lot of money?
Also does it really justify a 40 minute frequency? It used to be hourly and Im guessing it was increased due to it not really needing much additional resources to do so. However most of the stations clearly don’t even justify an hourly service, with the exception of South Woodham Ferrers and Burnham-on-Crouch which seem to be the busiest stations on the line by a reasonable amount!
I wonder with the two units would it be beneficial to reduce it to an hourly service but extend to Shenfield which has a lot more connections?
Would patronage increase if more services ran through to London Liverpool Street, maybe as portion working with the Southends?
Lots of thoughts and ideas here but doesn’t seem to justify a 5-car EMU every 40 minutes for 30-40 passengers in total per trip, based on the ones I did.