• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crossrail - operating discussion and opening day 24th May

Status
Not open for further replies.

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,012
Location
London
But this is the last weekend this is the case I believe. From Sunday it's a full 7 day service

There's a fair bit of engineering works East & West over the next few weeks that affect through running. For example 12/13th and 19/20th, nothing is running between Shenfield - Whitechapel/Liverpool Street due to NR engineering works. On the 19th/20th Heathrow is also shut (so it will be a Hayes - Abbey Wood service).

On those days a few more Abbey Wood - Paddington services will run to compensate the core frequency.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Well if we want a comment about the current Elizabeth operations, it has been decided to close it for the whole weekend in the last few weeks. Not just Sundays, the case since May, but also Saturdays as well. This right into the Christmas shopping period, which is now well under way in London, and invalidates all the stuff about Bond Street "opening in time for Christmas shopping" when it's closed for the two busiest shopping days of the week. It will be doubtless shut next Saturday, this time due to strike, as well.

If there's a strike, it will probably run in three parts again on those specific days due to the discrepancy in infrastructure availability (no strikes for signallers in the central section) but a reduced service due to trains needing to access depots on NR infrastructure.

This is the same as its been all previous strike days; Abbey Wood - Paddington has never been "shut" on a strike day.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

jeremyjh

Member
Joined
19 Apr 2017
Messages
111
Location
London
Could use proper signage. I interchange between Thameslink and the Elizabeth line at Farringdon on my commute. Like a lot of people who do so, I have no need of this reader, as I'm already travelling on contactless.
 

ctom_s

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2015
Messages
139
Location
Hornchurch, Essex
I was at Canary Wharf very briefly yesterday and noticed Poplar was signposted from the Crossrail station. Is that link up and running then? or are you sent on a different route?
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,012
Location
London
Could use proper signage. I interchange between Thameslink and the Elizabeth line at Farringdon on my commute. Like a lot of people who do so, I have no need of this reader, as I'm already travelling on contactless.

Signage is probably being commissioned, I imagine given the irritation to passengers the main aim was to get it installed ASAP.

Passengers from beyond the boundary (Gatwick / Welwyn) have no other choice so DO need this reader rather than going up and back down again.
 

Kite159

Veteran Member
Joined
27 Jan 2014
Messages
22,826
Location
West of Andover
Validators between Elizabeth line and Thameslink now in use

View attachment 123020
Source: https://twitter.com/midland__london/status/1587528537686302720
Fare dodgers will be loving that extra reader at Farringdon. Allows them to touch out of the oyster system before boarding a Thameslink train to an unbarriered station to get a free ride unless they are unlucky to run into a lesser spotted RPI.

Although there will be some use by genuine passengers transferring to other tickets.
 
Last edited:

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
27 Apr 2011
Messages
18,153
Fare dodgers will be loving that extra reader at Farringdon. Allows them to touch out of the oyster system before boarding a Thameslink train to an unbarriered station to get a free ride unless they are unlucky to run into a lesser spotted RPI.

Although there will be some use by genuine passengers transferring to other tickets.
There have been validators on the Thameslink platforms for years so not really an additional risk.

There’s a lift from the Southbound Thameslink platform to the Elizabeth Line which could do with a validator somewhere in the vicinity, does anyone know if one’s been installed?
 

ctom_s

Member
Joined
23 Dec 2015
Messages
139
Location
Hornchurch, Essex
There have been validators on the Thameslink platforms for years so not really an additional risk.

So this has lost me, there was a validator before but it couldn't be used for people exiting the Elizabeth line? (or is it just the case it was in a different place so people from the Elizabeth line missed it?)
 

XAM2175

Established Member
Joined
8 Jun 2016
Messages
3,471
Location
Glasgow
Fare dodgers will be loving that extra reader at Farringdon. Allows them to touch out of the oyster system before boarding a Thameslink train to an unbarriered station to get a free ride unless they are unlucky to run into a lesser spotted RPI.

Although there will be some use by genuine passengers transferring to other tickets.
Yes, I too love systems that deliberately make life harder for genuine passengers :rolleyes:
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Yes, I too love systems that deliberately make life harder for genuine passengers :rolleyes:

Then again, as a regular passenger, I frequently use it to “touch in” to the tube network, so it makes my life easier!
 

andrew749

Member
Joined
25 Oct 2021
Messages
64
Location
Essex
So this has lost me, there was a validator before but it couldn't be used for people exiting the Elizabeth line? (or is it just the case it was in a different place so people from the Elizabeth line missed it?)
There are validators at the foot of the stairways to the Circle/Met clockwise (outer rail) platform from the overbridge to/from the Thameslink platforms, and on the anticlockwise (inner rail) platform at the interchange points to the southbound Thameslink platform.
 

lawried123

Member
Joined
6 Apr 2021
Messages
142
Location
Finchampstead
I am going to a show in London on Sunday and was going to see how the through working from Twyford was going. But I'm amazed to find the last train from Toottenham Court Road to Twyford is 2205. That seems incredibly early for a last through train, so if you can't manage to get to Tottenham court road for that you still got to fiddle about changing up to the mainline station at Paddington as now. So no advantage over today.

Lawrie
 

Dstock7080

Established Member
Joined
17 Feb 2010
Messages
3,532
Location
West London
so if you can't manage to get to Tottenham court road for that you still got to fiddle about changing up to the mainline station at Paddington as now. So no advantage over today.

Lawrie
Or use later trains and change at Ealing Broadway, Southall or Hayes without the need change levels at Paddington?
 

345 050

Member
Joined
12 Aug 2021
Messages
252
Location
London
Signage is probably being commissioned, I imagine given the irritation to passengers the main aim was to get it installed ASAP.

Passengers from beyond the boundary (Gatwick / Welwyn) have no other choice so DO need this reader rather than going up and back down again.
No such solution for Abbey Wood or Custom House. Or was there another fix for Custom House involving reprogramming the gates?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am going to a show in London on Sunday and was going to see how the through working from Twyford was going. But I'm amazed to find the last train from Toottenham Court Road to Twyford is 2205. That seems incredibly early for a last through train, so if you can't manage to get to Tottenham court road for that you still got to fiddle about changing up to the mainline station at Paddington as now. So no advantage over today.

Lawrie
I believe there's a Maidenhead an hour later than that, Twyford is unfortunate to miss out there though. There are also later GWR services from High Level platform at Paddington.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,012
Location
London
No such solution for Abbey Wood or Custom House. Or was there another fix for Custom House involving reprogramming the gates?

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I believe there's a Maidenhead an hour later than that, Twyford is unfortunate to miss out there though. There are also later GWR services from High Level platform at Paddington.

I don’t think Abbey Wood will see it in the foreseeable due to the significant risk of fare evasion. Custom House might have been reprogrammed on the gates as you say.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am going to a show in London on Sunday and was going to see how the through working from Twyford was going. But I'm amazed to find the last train from Toottenham Court Road to Twyford is 2205. That seems incredibly early for a last through train, so if you can't manage to get to Tottenham court road for that you still got to fiddle about changing up to the mainline station at Paddington as now. So no advantage over today.

Lawrie

Late night and early morning trains continue to depart from the mainline station. So there are indeed later departures but only as far as Paddington with a change.
 

danielcanning

On Moderation
Joined
20 Mar 2022
Messages
189
Location
Highgate
Travelled on the Lizzie Line earlier and it seems the tissue beggars have begun to patronise the line. I hope TfL and the BTP crack down on this behaviour, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable seeing helpless women forced to beg…
 

Acton1991

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2019
Messages
391
Travelled on the Lizzie Line earlier and it seems the tissue beggars have begun to patronise the line. I hope TfL and the BTP crack down on this behaviour, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable seeing helpless women forced to beg…
Yep, it's very frequent. Please do report to TfL so they know it's going on. They clearly like the walk-through carriages.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Yep, it's very frequent. Please do report to TfL so they know it's going on. They clearly like the walk-through carriages.
Best thing to do is report it to the police, either by Email or SMS.
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Travelled on the Lizzie Line earlier and it seems the tissue beggars have begun to patronise the line. I hope TfL and the BTP crack down on this behaviour, it makes me feel extremely uncomfortable seeing helpless women forced to beg…

Forced in the “by a criminal gang” sense,
rather than by circumstances, sadly.

It makes me extremely uncomfortable seeing dirty tissues dropped into my lap!

That isn’t actually what they do though, is it? In my experience it’s a new packet of tissues placed onto the seat next to you with a note, swiftly taken away again if you ignore it.
 
Last edited:

TT-ONR-NRN

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Dec 2016
Messages
12,884
Location
Cambridge
That isn’t actually what they do though, is it? In my experience it’s a new packet of tissues placed onto the seat next to you with a note, swiftly taken away again if you ignore it.
Your experiences are not going to necessary be the same as mine though, are they? On a busy 323, I had tissues dropped into my pocket, and sixty seconds later I had them bending over me and swiping it away. The same thing happened on the Central line.

A lot of the time, I'm not lucky enough to have the seat next to me free, especially not in London! :lol:
 

43066

Veteran Member
Joined
24 Nov 2019
Messages
12,089
Location
London
Your experience is not going to necessary be the same as mine, is it. On a busy 323, I had tissues dropped into my pocket, and sixty seconds later I had them bending over me and swiping it away. The same thing happened on the Central line.

Just report it when you see it, as mentioned above.

A lot of the time, I'm not lucky enough to have the seat next to me free, especially not in London! :lol:

I’d rather have a free seat next to me, even with tissues :).
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,012
Location
London
Best thing to do is report it to the police, either by Email or SMS.

Issue is there's pretty much always no signal, so by the time you've do a) you've left the train and platform b) the suspects have long gone.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Forced in the “by a criminal gang” sense,
rather than by circumstances, sadly.



That isn’t actually what they do though, is it? In my experience it’s a new packet of tissues placed onto the seat next to you with a note, swiftly taken away again if you ignore it.

My experience too, any time its happened in around London on both Underground and suburban rail services.
 

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
7 Aug 2005
Messages
21,191
Location
0035
Issue is there's pretty much always no signal, so by the time you've do a) you've left the train and platform b) the suspects have long gone.
I would if they’d sort the 4G out :lol:
All platforms have Wi-fi which is fine for sending emails and what I do when I come across these people on the Underground.

Also is irrelevant with regard to catching them. Whilst BTP will issue a general circulation to officers with regard to illegal begging on trains it is mainly to enable both BTP and TfL to build up a record of where these people operate, and enable for officer taskings and operations to be organised to take into account the location and times of these crimes.
 

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
Joined
8 Sep 2019
Messages
11,012
Location
London
All platforms have Wi-fi which is fine for sending emails and what I do when I come across these people on the Underground.

Also is irrelevant with regard to catching them. Whilst BTP will issue a general circulation to officers with regard to illegal begging on trains it is mainly to enable both BTP and TfL to build up a record of where these people operate, and enable for officer taskings and operations to be organised to take into account the location and times of these crimes.

The wi-fi is incredibly hit and miss. Of course it can be built up, but most reports are pretty vague ("oh I was on a train 10 minutes ago")
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,781
Location
UK
The wi-fi is incredibly hit and miss. Of course it can be built up, but most reports are pretty vague ("oh I was on a train 10 minutes ago")
The WiFi also only works if you have an account with one of the participating operators. It should be free for everyone, like it is on all other National Rail trains and stations.
 

DC1989

Member
Joined
25 Mar 2022
Messages
553
Location
London
The fact there's no 4g (at least!) on 'the most advanced digital railway in the world' is pretty shocking!!
 

Acton1991

Member
Joined
20 Jan 2019
Messages
391
All platforms have Wi-fi which is fine for sending emails and what I do when I come across these people on the Underground.

Also is irrelevant with regard to catching them. Whilst BTP will issue a general circulation to officers with regard to illegal begging on trains it is mainly to enable both BTP and TfL to build up a record of where these people operate, and enable for officer taskings and operations to be organised to take into account the location and times of these crimes.
I do feel like TfL could start playing announcements like they do on certain parts of the Underground which could act as a deterrent
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,856
I do feel like TfL could start playing announcements like they do on certain parts of the Underground which could act as a deterrent
Argggghh. Just no. No more announcements. It’s the weak option taken when they think they ought to do something, but can’t be arsed to do it properly.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top