• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry's catering offering (2015-2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
But if you travel on Virgin West or East Coast in first class or if travelling on a long haul air journey, you are just as likely to be sat next to someone eating a hot meal at some point, so what is the difference?

None, but if possible, I would immediately move to a seat away from them, and if that were not possible, I would just stand somewhere like the lobby until they finished and packed away. The thought of sitting next to a stranger eating other than a non-odorous snack, unless I am dining as well, makes me heave. We are all different. That view incidentally supports the provision of restaurant cars and buffets.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
None, but if possible, I would immediately move to a seat away from them, and if that were not possible, I would just stand somewhere like the lobby until they finished and packed away. The thought of sitting next to a stranger eating other than a non-odorous snack, unless I am dining as well, makes me heave. We are all different. That view incidentally supports the provision of restaurant cars and buffets.

I can see your point there, and I do think GWR do it the right way with optional Pullman dining on their HST sets, sadly that's never going to be possible on XC with their less than ideal 4/5 car Voyagers, but in my opinion you still have to give them credit for this trial, perhaps it should be offered to first class passengers only where you're not rubbing shoulders with your fellow travelers like in the cramped standard accommodation?
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
... perhaps it should be offered to first class passengers only

Definitely not. The worst thing to happen to on train catering was when most TOCs removed the option of a hot meal (and I don't mean a microwaved burger) from standard ticket holders.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Definitely not. The worst thing to happen to on train catering was when most TOCs removed the option of a hot meal (and I don't mean a microwaved burger) from standard ticket holders.

What I actually meant was, is it possible to eat a plated meal on a fold down table in standard class on a Voyager?
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
What I actually meant was, is it possible to eat a plated meal on a fold down table in standard class on a Voyager?

Well, indeed this could be the answer, in that if one serves meals only in the aircraft type seating*, it would be most unlikely to disturb fellow pax. You had the meal on XC. Would it have fitted OK on a seat back tray?

*Unless serving a party of four, as in your case. I am thinking of second class here, rather than first.
 
Last edited:

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
What I actually meant was, is it possible to eat a plated meal on a fold down table in standard class on a Voyager?

Post 100# describes the standard 'dish' which sound a bit like an airline style container ? Would make sense as they are described as 'airline' seats.
 
Last edited:

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Well, indeed this could be the answer, in that if one serves meals only in the aircraft type seating*, it would be most unlikely to disturb fellow pax. You had the meal on XC. Would it have fitted OK on a seat back tray?

*Unless serving a party of four, as in your case. I am thinking of second class here, rather than first.

Post 100# describes the standard 'dish' which sound a bit like an airline style container ? Would make sense as they are described as 'airline' seats.

Ah, fair enough, I hadn't seen post #100, I was thinking the same type of plate was used in both classes, I couldn't imagine those plates fitting on a standard seat pull down table.
 

andrewkeith5

Member
Joined
2 Jun 2013
Messages
681
Location
West Sussex
None, but if possible, I would immediately move to a seat away from them, and if that were not possible, I would just stand somewhere like the lobby until they finished and packed away. The thought of sitting next to a stranger eating other than a non-odorous snack, unless I am dining as well, makes me heave. We are all different. That view incidentally supports the provision of restaurant cars and buffets.

Excellent! Maybe I'll try travelling on XC again if it means I can stop people from sitting next to me! I'm still yet to find a standard class seat where it is possible to sit next to someone with room to move your arms without either the window seat passenger being crushed or having to sit off the end of the aisle seat.
 

Wolfie

Established Member
Joined
17 Aug 2010
Messages
7,436
None, but if possible, I would immediately move to a seat away from them, and if that were not possible, I would just stand somewhere like the lobby until they finished and packed away. The thought of sitting next to a stranger eating other than a non-odorous snack, unless I am dining as well, makes me heave. We are all different. That view incidentally supports the provision of restaurant cars and buffets.

Food doesn't have to be hot/warm to have an odour.. try anything involving gorgonzola cheese for example...
 

HowardGWR

Established Member
Joined
30 Jan 2013
Messages
4,981
Food doesn't have to be hot/warm to have an odour.. try anything involving gorgonzola cheese for example...

Quite. I didn't mention its temperature did I? The other poster who says he crowds people out in a standard class seat; may I assume is a larger person? I see what he means though, if that person was trying to eat a meal, as well.

I don't remember being cramped when I travelled Voyager, but I did find it claustrophobic and on the Brum to Briz route, it was very noisy to boot. A dozen fish supper meals surrounding me would probably drive me to the vestibule. :lol:
 

misterredmist

Member
Joined
23 Feb 2015
Messages
294
Location
Bedfordshire
Well looking at the offerings on Ash's post 92 & 93 and the comments, they look pretty substantial meals....... let's hope they don't start to "downsize" over the next few months.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Well looking at the offerings on Ash's post 92 & 93 and the comments, they look pretty substantial meals....... let's hope they don't start to "downsize" over the next few months.

And just in case you are still hungry after that, they also do Cornish cream teas or cheese and biscuits for I think £4:50.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Is it possible to only order these?

Yes, but I think they are only available in 1st Class, there is another menu pdf entitled exclusive range which is only accessible from the 1st Class travel page of XC's website.
 

ScotTrains

Member
Joined
13 Nov 2014
Messages
416
Location
Scotland
Cross Country need to fix their appalling lack of catering in Scotland. Traveling beyond Edinburgh and there is no catering whatsoever! Travelling on the 0820 between Aberdeen to Edinburgh takes over 2.5hrs yet you'll not even get a cup of tea let alone breakfast. This is shocking! Their Glasgow services are just as bad. Virgin and Scotrail can provide catering in Scotland so there is no excuse here. They really should have sorted out this issue first.
 

Ash Bridge

Established Member
Joined
17 Mar 2014
Messages
4,222
Location
Stockport
Cross Country need to fix their appalling lack of catering in Scotland. Traveling beyond Edinburgh and there is no catering whatsoever! Travelling on the 0820 between Aberdeen to Edinburgh takes over 2.5hrs yet you'll not even get a cup of tea let alone breakfast. This is shocking! Their Glasgow services are just as bad. Virgin and Scotrail can provide catering in Scotland so there is no excuse here. They really should have sorted out this issue first.

Similar situation at the other end of the network, nothing at all from Plymouth to Penzance, the only exceptions are the summer holiday services to Newquay, it does beg the question if those trains can have catering why do the regular trains to Penzance not have?
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
The lack of catering on the Aberdeen and Dundee services is a bit of a joke especially the southbound workings as they are pretty busy. I'm guessing they look at both legs of the journey and feel it isn't viable.

I have occasionally seen catering on the Edinburgh to Glasgow leg but it's quite rare and usually it's the "Static service" rather than the trolley coming through.
 

rjholt

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Messages
29
I hope this works, I travel first quite a bit with work and the Cross Country offer is the worst by far out of the long distance operators.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
I hope this works, I travel first quite a bit with work and the Cross Country offer is the worst by far out of the long distance operators.

Really?

You'll get a hot food item in the morning or a sandwich/cream tea in the afternoon. Other food items such as porridge/cereal and croissants in the morning. That's in addition to light snacks and non-alcoholic beverages.

What complimentary hot food items or sandwiches can one get with GWR, AGA, SWT, TPE?

What you probably mean is CrossCountry isn't as good as VTEC and VWC.
 

30907

Veteran Member
Joined
30 Sep 2012
Messages
21,979
Location
Airedale
Similar situation at the other end of the network, nothing at all from Plymouth to Penzance, the only exceptions are the summer holiday services to Newquay, it does beg the question if those trains can have catering why do the regular trains to Penzance not have?

Presumably the Saturday morning train from Newquay loads well enough to justify sending a crew out on the cushions from Plymouth (and reverse in the evening). Whereas the Aberdeen set is ex berth so would require a dedicated crew and supply base.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Presumably the Saturday morning train from Newquay loads well enough to justify sending a crew out on the cushions from Plymouth (and reverse in the evening). Whereas the Aberdeen set is ex berth so would require a dedicated crew and supply base.

Yeah the Aberdeen one is a funny one IIRC.

It runs ECS to Dundee and then in service up to Aberdeen in order to form the southbound so a catering crew would be sitting doing nothing/very little all the way from Craigentinny up to Aberdeen.

I'm guessing they have done their sums and they don't think it's viable.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Really?

You'll get a hot food item in the morning or a sandwich/cream tea in the afternoon. Other food items such as porridge/cereal and croissants in the morning. That's in addition to light snacks and non-alcoholic beverages.

What complimentary hot food items or sandwiches can one get with GWR, AGA, SWT, TPE?

What you probably mean is CrossCountry isn't as good as VTEC and VWC.

He said "worst by far of the long distance operators" which are the above two and not the others.

At the very least they should supply free alcohol in 1st Class :p
 

rjholt

Member
Joined
13 Jul 2014
Messages
29
He said "worst by far of the long distance operators" which are the above two and not the others.

At the very least they should supply free alcohol in 1st Class :p

Exactly. Midland Main Line are also very good with the best breakfast by far.

I don't tend to travel with GWR so cannot judge them.
 

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
Presumably the Saturday morning train from Newquay loads well enough to justify sending a crew out on the cushions from Plymouth (and reverse in the evening). Whereas the Aberdeen set is ex berth so would require a dedicated crew and supply base.

Re: Aberdeen, It needs a Driver and Train Manager anyway, so in the grand scheme of things sending a Retail Service Manager too wouldn't be all that much extra hassle, though would probably mean an increase in the number of catering staff required at Edinburgh depot. You wouldn't need a dedicated supply base for a simple run like that, you'd just have to up the delivery when the train reached Edinburgh by a token amount to reflect the stock sold on it's now catered journey to there.

But it's a moot point, I don't think the figures add up enough for them to justify it tbh. You never know, though.
 

bnm

Established Member
Joined
12 Oct 2009
Messages
4,992
He said "worst by far of the long distance operators" which are the above two and not the others.

Is Manchester to Scotland (TPE) not long distance? Or London to Penzance (GWR)? What about Exeter to London (SWT)? All those journeys are over 3 hours. And their 1st Class offerings are worse than CrossCountry's.
 

Chrism20

Established Member
Joined
27 Feb 2013
Messages
1,400
Re: Aberdeen, It needs a Driver and Train Manager anyway, so in the grand scheme of things sending a Retail Service Manager too wouldn't be all that much extra hassle, though would probably mean an increase in the number of catering staff required at Edinburgh depot. You wouldn't need a dedicated supply base for a simple run like that, you'd just have to up the delivery when the train reached Edinburgh by a token amount to reflect the stock sold on it's now catered journey to there.

But it's a moot point, I don't think the figures add up enough for them to justify it tbh. You never know, though.

Is the catering loaded at Craigentinny or Waverley though?

The train doesn't stay in Aberdeen overnight (It returns to Edinburgh in service at 2131) it goes from Craigentinny first thing in the morning as ECS to Dundee.

If it's Waverley (Which I'm sure it is) that would mean the stock has to be loaded the night before and it would then have to be that set that went to Aberdeen in the morning. Logistically when you factor that it reduces the flexibility XC have if there is a problem.

It's a shame as this new menu would probably be popular north and southbound on the Aberdeen runs.
 
Last edited:

Butts

Veteran Member
Joined
16 Jan 2011
Messages
11,841
Location
Stirlingshire
Is Manchester to Scotland (TPE) not long distance? Or London to Penzance (GWR)? What about Exeter to London (SWT)? All those journeys are over 3 hours. And their 1st Class offerings are worse than CrossCountry's.

None quite match Aberdeen to Penzance, but you are correct their offerings could be better. I suppose it may be due to the fact they also operate more commuter routes and this has an impact on the offerings.
 

najaB

Veteran Member
Joined
28 Aug 2011
Messages
33,723
Location
Scotland
If it's Waverley (Which I'm sure it is) that would mean the stock has to be loaded the night before and it would then have to be that set that went to Aberdeen in the morning. Logistically when you factor that it reduces the flexibility XC have if there is a problem.
It may well have changed now but ISTR that it has an approximately 10 minute wait on one of its two passes through Waverley in the morning (for some reason it comes out of Craigentinny, through Edinburgh, around the Sub and back through Edinburgh). I'm sure if they wanted to they could load the catering then.

Edit: Just looked in RTT and it seems they do it the other way around now - reverse at Edinburgh and around the sub the other way. I guess to turn the set.
 
Last edited:

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
Is the catering loaded at Craigentinny or Waverley though?

The train doesn't stay in Aberdeen overnight (It returns to Edinburgh in service at 2131) it goes from Craigentinny first thing in the morning as ECS to Dundee.

If it's Waverley (Which I'm sure it is) that would mean the stock has to be loaded the night before and it would then have to be that set that went to Aberdeen in the morning. Logistically when you factor that it reduces the flexibility XC have if there is a problem.

It's a shame as this new menu would probably be popular north and southbound on the Aberdeen runs.

The catering stores are at Waverley, but as they'd be out of temperature control you couldn't load perishable stuff for the morning train like breakfast sandwiches or the hot meals the night before, you'd have to load them either first thing in the morning or wait until it got back to Edinburgh. Wouldn't stop them loading breakfast pastries the night before though like they do at trains starting in Leeds or Manchester.
 

headshot119

Established Member
Joined
31 Dec 2010
Messages
2,051
Location
Dubai
It may well have changed now but ISTR that it has an approximately 10 minute wait on one of its two passes through Waverley in the morning (for some reason it comes out of Craigentinny, through Edinburgh, around the Sub and back through Edinburgh). I'm sure if they wanted to they could load the catering then.

Edit: Just looked in RTT and it seems they do it the other way around now - reverse at Edinburgh and around the sub the other way. I guess to turn the set.

It goes round the sub for route retention purposes.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top