Ash Bridge
Established Member
In the early days did they not used to publish the playlists available on each channel (4 I think on Voyager and 10? on Pendolino) in the onboard magazine, something else that's vanished, at least on XC.
Thought the pendos still used the radio system?
No it's been disabled for ages because the space was re-used to provide the wi-fi.
I think the 175s were similarly fitted in the centre car, Iam guessing the same applies?
In the early days did they not used to publish the playlists available on each channel (4 I think on Voyager and 10? on Pendolino) in the onboard magazine, something else that's vanished, at least on XC.
I think the Virgin Radio one was a pre-recorded one played out as well - whereas BBC Radios 1, 2, 3, and 4 are all on FM nationally, Virgin/Absolute was/is only on FM in London. Although Virgin Radio bad been broadcasting on DAB when the Voyagers (and Pendolinos) were introduced, signal was still patchy at the time, so it is unlikely that they would have used DAB to pick up the station [1].. . . and in those days Absolute Radio was Virgin Radio so I think that found its way onto the train radios.
Had i paid for that service in standard i would have been very annoyed at paying for a service that was virtually useless.
Nothing to say you couldn't use a portable battery powered Wi-Fi device like you can find on amazon & a mobile broadband sim to connect to a tablet.
On Amazon you can get a preloaded 6Gb data sim on EE for £15, a portable Wi-Fi unit for £60 upwards and you're done.
How do the routers work on trains though? Is it 4G, 3G or satellite, when WiFi was first introduced on most trains 4G didn't exist in this country (I think it came in 2012).
Nothing to say you couldn't use a portable battery powered Wi-Fi device like you can find on amazon & a mobile broadband sim to connect to a tablet.
On Amazon you can get a preloaded 6Gb data sim on EE for £15, a portable Wi-Fi unit for £60 upwards and you're done.
Another random question (apologies if this is starting to veer into offtopicness; if we continue down this track, feel free to split mods, but it probably won't!): I assume that the pre-records would've been as MP3s rather than an audio CD to allow for the fact that there's only 80 minutes on an audio CD (well, 74 if you're strict about it). If they were in Audio CD format, then I can see why they were seldom used by passengers given that if you have a regular long-distance commute then before long you'll have heard it all!Virgin trains only broadcasted the BBC radio stations live. All other stations were pre-recorded onto CD and changed every 3 months. The stations may (and i stress may) have been recorded by either virgin radio or virgin records under license arrangements or on behalf of the rail franchises thereby cross subsidising sister companies.
fairysdad: No, they were CDs - this is turn of the century technology remember! They did each last about an hour.
fairysdad: No, they were CDs - this is turn of the century technology remember! They did each last about an hour.
That doesn't surprise me, I bought an Audi A3 in January 2004 and went for the 6 disk changer for IIRC £300 over the hard drive MP3 solution for £1500 ! Just over two years later (Sept 2006), my next car a 3 Series had an iPod port for £215 IIRC, which allowed me to control tracks via the steering wheel - MP3 control has been rather hit and miss since then, the BMW was annoying in that random meant restarting over after about 100 tracks or randomly whenever I exited the car, similarly my 2012 C-Max didn't understand random and frequently reset, my current 2015 Kuga is better but the cache fills after about 2 month and I need to reset the USB connection.
The CDs at the time would have cost a large amount of money, I knew a man who owned a recording studio in Tamworth in the 1990s and he said to have a CD-RW device it was £6000 so to record to CD he used to have to travel to Cambridge to get CDs written which cost quite a bit.
That doesn't surprise me, I bought an Audi A3 in January 2004 and went for the 6 disk changer for IIRC £300 over the hard drive MP3 solution for £1500 ! Just over two years later (Sept 2006), my next car a 3 Series had an iPod port for £215 IIRC, which allowed me to control tracks via the steering wheel - MP3 control has been rather hit and miss since then, the BMW was annoying in that random meant restarting over after about 100 tracks or randomly whenever I exited the car, similarly my 2012 C-Max didn't understand random and frequently reset, my current 2015 Kuga is better but the cache fills after about 2 month and I need to reset the USB connection.
"The 1990s" covers an entire decade, over which CD burners gradually went from unavailable to common and affordable.
CD burners certainly weren't rare or expensive in 2004, they were a standard part of any normal home PC being sold at the time.