• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry traincrew member faces deportation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Joined
8 Jan 2013
Messages
3,456
Location
Back Cab
Frank Mbutu is a well known, hard working, popular and well respected member of crosscountry's on board catering staff and has been so for nearly 14 years, having started before virgins operation princess revamp. He has therefore continually worked, paying in to the tax system and never claimed any benefits in any way.


Despite this, his claim to stay in the UK was unbeknown to him rejected back in 2000. Yet he has managed to sustain himself and work legitimately in this country since he moved here. Now he faces deportation to Tanzania, even tho his nearest family links are in the USA. Please urge Theresa may to reconsider and intervene on his behalf. He has built a life in this country, developing himself a career on the railway and deserves to stay. He has done far more than prove his worth. If we can give war refugees access to this country, there is no reason why Frank shouldnt be given the same opportunity. He was given that opportunity and he has done something with it, he has built himself a better life for it. Isnt that what this country preaches?

https://www.change.org/p/rt-hon-theresa-may-mp-don-t-deport-frank-mbutu-from-the-uk

He is a former colleague of mine so i therefore know him, and this pulls at my heart strings a little.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AndyY

Member
Joined
10 Dec 2013
Messages
95
Location
Borehamwood
I thought that if you are illegally in this country for 14 years and have proof (which should not be difficult if he kept his payslips or bank records), you may be granted indefinite leave to remain?
 

Geezertronic

Established Member
Joined
14 Apr 2009
Messages
4,125
Location
Birmingham
Makes me wonder when a hard working person like this is threatened with deportation, then you hear in the news that a rapist or other criminal cannot be deported for human right issues....
 

rdeez

Member
Joined
7 Apr 2013
Messages
354
Signed! Not only a ridiculous decision given his circumstances and history, but sends out completely the wrong message. You work hard, contribute to society, build yourself a life here and one day you can be rounded up like a criminal and have all of that snatched away from you in an instant. It's a disgrace and a sad reflection on the contradictions and injustice of our immigration processes.
 

Pinza-C55

Member
Joined
23 May 2015
Messages
1,035
Signed. I am sure many illegals need to be deported but this doesn't make sense. Maybe there should be a statute of limitations ?
 

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
1 Sep 2014
Messages
12,008
Location
here to eternity
We can keep a place here for him by simply not allowing back one of those so called "Britons" who have gone to Syria.
 

Jonfun

Established Member
Joined
16 Mar 2007
Messages
1,254
Location
North West
I think the most grating thing about the whole situation is that it isn't as though he's been hiding in some cupboard above a chippy for 15 years while being paid cash in hand, as I understand it he hasn't even changed addresses in the time he's been here, he's been full time employed and paid every tax he's owed.

I know they can and will turn round and say 'rules is rules' etc but when we're quite happy to pay to house and fund folk who've committed serious crimes, or walked through the channel tunnel to be here rather than deport them I think it's really against everything the UK's stance on immigration should be.
 

CC 72100

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2012
Messages
3,851
I think the most grating thing about the whole situation is that it isn't as though he's been hiding in some cupboard above a chippy for 15 years while being paid cash in hand, as I understand it he hasn't even changed addresses in the time he's been here, he's been full time employed and paid every tax he's owed.

I know they can and will turn round and say 'rules is rules' etc but when we're quite happy to pay to house and fund folk who've committed serious crimes, or walked through the channel tunnel to be here rather than deport them I think it's really against everything the UK's stance on immigration should be.

Can't help but agree. Surely somebody who has lived and worked here completely in compliance with the law deserves to stay?
 

tsr

Established Member
Joined
15 Nov 2011
Messages
7,400
Location
Between the parallel lines
I have no doubt that if all we read is true, this gentleman is a hardworking asset to the country and deserves to stay. In fact, there are many people who would not consider themselves to have migrated to the UK for whom he probably sets an excellent example. It strikes me that he has found a long-lasting career in a part of the rail industry which probably sees a proportionally high turnover.

However, and not meaning to sound harsh... what sort of obligations are placed on somebody to check that their application to live in the UK has been approved? Is it likely that it would dawn on you at some point in many years that perhaps it might be a good idea to work out if a very-long-overdue application had been approved, or is it approved in the absence of being declined? I ask out of curiosity as I am fortunate never to have had to do something like this and I am not an expert in immigration law.

Nonetheless, I wish him and his representatives all the best with his struggle to remain in the UK. I think it is a worthy struggle.
 
Last edited:

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2015
Messages
3,003
Why? To strike against the government?

They won't be able to strike as it's not an employment related issue, but the RMT can certainly apply pressure politically, generate publicity for the case and make life embarrassing for Theresa May.

The railway is highly reliant on workers born outwith the UK, from track maintenance and engineering (at all grades) through to drivers and on-board staff, highlighting this might be helpful in this case.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,428
Location
Yorkshire
I support him and have signed it.

Did anyone else get a confirmation email in Spanish?
 

The Ham

Veteran Member
Joined
6 Jul 2012
Messages
12,036
They won't be able to strike as it's not an employment related issue, but the RMT can certainly apply pressure politically, generate publicity for the case and make life embarrassing for Theresa May.

At the very least they can ask their members to sign the petition.
 

Gathursty

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2011
Messages
2,651
Location
Wigan
I'm conflicted here but I'll agree that this gentleman should stay and I'll leave my views on this country's demographics for another thread.
 

Philip Phlopp

Established Member
Joined
31 May 2015
Messages
3,003
At the very least they can ask their members to sign the petition.

I was thinking more about a demonstration, an informal protest, that sort of thing. The RMT people can put together a good and noisy display when they get the bit between their teeth.
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
I thought that if you are illegally in this country for 14 years and have proof (which should not be difficult if he kept his payslips or bank records), you may be granted indefinite leave to remain?

Correct provided that the initial entry into the UK was legitimate, although any removal notice served will have "stopped the clock".

Assuming that the above condition is satisfied and 14 years continuous stay has been accumulated, unless granting of ILR is against public interest, ILR should normally be given.
- Rule changed in 2012, see below.
 

61653 HTAFC

Veteran Member
Joined
18 Dec 2012
Messages
19,356
Location
Yorkshire
Signed. There really should be (if there isn't already) an immigration equivalent of the old "Squatter's Rights" rule: if the state hasn't asked him to leave within a certain period, then regardless of his initial status that inaction grants him the right to remain.

Edit. Hadn't seen the bit about his ILR being declined and him not being informed. This (and previous) governments seem to have an unfortunate habit of failing to inform people of things that affect their lives in significant ways.

1,097 signatures now though.
 
Last edited:

FordFocus

Member
Joined
15 Apr 2015
Messages
918
The RMT provides union services in the form of Thompson's Solicitors who will help advise the member about the issues from a legal POV..........

.....as mentioned the next step is to apply political pressure to May to allow him to stay which IMHO he should. Someone who has worked for 14 years for a large employer such as the railway and never claimed benefits nor have any outstanding criminal charges should be allowed to remain.






Signed
 

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,465
Correct provided that the initial entry into the UK was legitimate, although any removal notice served will have "stopped the clock".

Assuming that the above condition is satisfied and 14 years continuous stay has been accumulated, unless granting of ILR is against public interest, ILR should normally be given.

In fact, further to my earlier post, I have just looked at the subject matter again and it would appear that the 14-year route was withdrawn in 2012. Of course some complicated applications in this category may still be awaiting a decision (not unheard of for some people to wait 2 years or more for a decision in that category - the longest I have heard of was 3 years and 11 months), but if the person in question did not apply for ILR under the 14-year route prior to the immigration rule changes in July 2012 then this route is no longer open. The closest current alternative is the Private life in the UK 20-year route. A shame really. It would seem that the guy came over here late 1998 or in 1999. Had the category been open for a year longer, he would have been eligible to apply using that route.

I also find it a little harsh on the guy, having contributed so much, but I fear that there may simply not be a category within immigration rules he could be granted further leave in (not really knowing his personal circumstances), unless CrossCountry were happy to fund him under the points based system (which I somehow doubt). He may require the service of a very good immigration lawyer (which I hope the union would be able to find for him).

I must say that I find it a little odd that he did not know his application was refused. He should have received a decision whether his application was granted or refused in post. If nothing has been received to date, what has he done to find out on his part? I assume that his previous LTR had long expired. I can understand still patiently waiting if nothing is heard for the first few months, even up to a year or two, but for 15 years?

I would like to see the guy staying, considering what other people have said about him, but something does not seem to add up imo.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top