• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry Rail: Galashiels Bus Station

Status
Not open for further replies.

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2018
Messages
1,668
I've noticed, first through the ScotRail journey planner and then through RealTimeTrains, that there are several "timetabled bus services" between Galashiels Bus Station and Berwick-upon-Tweed operated for CrossCountry. I've never noticed these before as they don't appear on Google Maps or its journey planner, not on bustimes.org. My questions are: why do these exist? As far as I can see they operate daily so they don't appear to be an alternative travel option for East Coast Mainline closure between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh. Who operates them on behalf of CrossCountry, and what vehicle types are used?
And finally why does the journey planner, when prompted with something like Galashiels Bus Station to Gorebridge, suggest that the above bus to Berwick, then train to Waverley, then train back south to Gorebridge? Instead of what looks to be a two-minute walk to Galashiels Railway Station, then a direct train?

RealTimeTrains example journey: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C54511/2024-08-17/detailed

Thanks!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

D6130

Established Member
Joined
12 Jan 2021
Messages
9,118
Location
West Yorkshire/Tuscany
I've noticed, first through the ScotRail journey planner and then through RealTimeTrains, that there are several "timetabled bus services" between Galashiels Bus Station and Berwick-upon-Tweed operated for CrossCountry. I've never noticed these before as they don't appear on Google Maps or its journey planner, not on bustimes.org. My questions are: why do these exist? As far as I can see they operate daily so they don't appear to be an alternative travel option for East Coast Mainline closure between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh. Who operates them on behalf of CrossCountry, and what vehicle types are used?
And finally why does the journey planner, when prompted with something like Galashiels Bus Station to Gorebridge, suggest that the above bus to Berwick, then train to Waverley, then train back south to Gorebridge? Instead of what looks to be a two-minute walk to Galashiels Railway Station, then a direct train?

RealTimeTrains example journey: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C54511/2024-08-17/detailed

Thanks!
I suspect that these may be scheduled bus services operated by Borders Buses, on which through ticketing is available from Cross Country.
 

Megafuss

Member
Joined
5 May 2018
Messages
894
Location
Spalding
I've noticed, first through the ScotRail journey planner and then through RealTimeTrains, that there are several "timetabled bus services" between Galashiels Bus Station and Berwick-upon-Tweed operated for CrossCountry. I've never noticed these before as they don't appear on Google Maps or its journey planner, not on bustimes.org. My questions are: why do these exist? As far as I can see they operate daily so they don't appear to be an alternative travel option for East Coast Mainline closure between Berwick-upon-Tweed and Edinburgh. Who operates them on behalf of CrossCountry, and what vehicle types are used?
And finally why does the journey planner, when prompted with something like Galashiels Bus Station to Gorebridge, suggest that the above bus to Berwick, then train to Waverley, then train back south to Gorebridge? Instead of what looks to be a two-minute walk to Galashiels Railway Station, then a direct train?

RealTimeTrains example journey: https://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/service/gb-nr:C54511/2024-08-17/detailed

Thanks!
It's effectively Border Buses service 60. They aren't really operated on behalf of Cross Country. They just "manage" yhe revenue side from any rail tickets sold.

It allows users to do a multi-modal journey as an alternative to the train.

There are quite a few of them about, they just aren't advertised very well at all.
 

computerSaysNo

Established Member
Joined
14 Dec 2018
Messages
1,668
I suspect that these may be scheduled bus services operated by Borders Buses
It's effectively Border Buses service 60
Ah, yes you're right, I've checked again and they do run at the same times as Borders Buses service 60. I checked before I posted and they didn't, but I must have just been reading the timetables incorrectly. Apologies for this and thanks for the answers!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top