• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

CrossCountry - Apprentice Train Driver - Recruitment Discussion

juspassingby

Member
Joined
30 Sep 2020
Messages
68
Location
Rainchester
Thanks for that. I'll have to figure something out then as they went bust haha. Is it an email link or something they send? Hopefully my explanation will suffice
Even if they went bust, you'll have to prove it by HMRC records that you was employed by that company.
Any little discrepancy and you risk getting your offer withdrawn.

Just make sure your application is accurate. They ask for 3-5 year reference but do extensive checks in the background as its a safety critical role so they don't take any risks.

Download your HMRC records and have a character reference or an old employer ready to provide reference.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

SparrowC

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2026
Messages
10
Location
Derby
I had conditional offer over the phone then I did medical first and then DBS and reference checks carried out and contract was sent out to me over email.
Once the checks were completed
I handed my notice in.
I had a 3 month notice period but was only able to provide just over a month due to course start date.
Thanks for the quick response

I'm in a similar position I have a 16 week notice period and I've still not had my medical organised or heard anything back from the DBS check.
I'm obviously pretty confident it will go well but the idea of putting my notice in basically next week without a written offer of employment is a bit nervy
 

timmy827

Member
Joined
10 Jun 2025
Messages
31
Location
Devon
Thanks for the quick response

I'm in a similar position I have a 16 week notice period and I've still not had my medical organised or heard anything back from the DBS check.
I'm obviously pretty confident it will go well but the idea of putting my notice in basically next week without a written offer of employment is a bit nervy
Very similar position to me, although my notice period is shorter. Can I ask when you submitted your DBS details? I sent mine off 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.
 

SparrowC

Member
Joined
1 Aug 2026
Messages
10
Location
Derby
Very similar position to me, although my notice period is shorter. Can I ask when you submitted your DBS details? I sent mine off 2 weeks ago and haven't heard anything yet.
I sent mine off last week, I tried sending a text to Kirsty to see if they had an estimated time for completion but I haven't heard back yet.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

which depots have you all got into?
I'm on the February course for Derby Depot
 

IndegoMouse

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
129
Location
Warwickshire
I sent mine off last week, I tried sending a text to Kirsty to see if they had an estimated time for completion but I haven't heard back yet.

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


I'm on the February course for Derby Depot
congratulations I am waiting a DMI really hoping it will happen soon!
 

TomW182

New Member
Joined
5 Oct 2026
Messages
1
Location
Manchester
Hey everyone, I’m new to this and this is my first application, applied over the weekend for the new manchester vacancy. Any info greatly appreciated!
 

kaineec

New Member
Joined
5 Oct 2026
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham
Hi guys, I passed my Dmi in may this year but still havnt had any updates on future courses for Birmingham new street, does anyone know of any future course dates ?
 

cpwaters

Member
Joined
18 Mar 2022
Messages
5
Location
Manchester
Hi all,
I just received my course start date as being Jan 4th after doing my dmi back in April. In regards to the training course at derby, Kirsty who has taken over from Andy at recruitment mentioned that it would be classroom based jan-april with preplanned holidays throughout. There will then be some sort of break before continuing the last stretch of training down at whatever station you originally applied for. Birmingham New Street applicants will also receive the lodging option too for the training at derby
Hello mate, do you have the email address or any contact details for Kirsty by any chance?
 

JMC29

New Member
Joined
10 Nov 2018
Messages
2
Hi guys looking at the apprenticeship. It states:
Starting salary: £33,863 per annum, rising to £44,865 on completion of training

Once apprenticeship is completed would it not be higher salary than 45k?

Thanks
 

Amnesiac

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2022
Messages
131
Location
..
Hi guys looking at the apprenticeship. It states:
Starting salary: £33,863 per annum, rising to £44,865 on completion of training

Once apprenticeship is completed would it not be higher salary than 45k?

Thanks

You will finish your training before you finish your apprenticeship and as the quote says, you have a pay uplift at completion of training.
 

jaymo

New Member
Joined
6 Oct 2026
Messages
1
Location
UK
You will finish your training before you finish your apprenticeship and as the quote says, you have a pay uplift at completion of training.
I assumed that 'training' meant the same as 'apprenticeship'.
 
Last edited:

Amnesiac

Member
Joined
7 Feb 2022
Messages
131
Location
..
I assumed that 'training' meant the same as 'apprenticeship'.

The “completion of training” as stated in the original comment I responded to regarding wage, will form part of the structure of the apprenticeship. The process regarding your training and apprenticeship as a whole is explained when people start the role.
 

Trains4lyfe

New Member
Joined
14 Feb 2026
Messages
1
Location
Manchester
I’ve applied for Manchester last night.

A few months ago I passed all the Northern psychometric and bourdon tests but they said it was a fail as I didn’t pass the bourdon to Northern standards but it’s still a pass for other TOC’s.

Wonder if this gives me any advantage?
 

petergreenan

New Member
Joined
1 Jun 2016
Messages
1
Hi all,
I just received my course start date as being Jan 4th after doing my dmi back in April. In regards to the training course at derby, Kirsty who has taken over from Andy at recruitment mentioned that it would be classroom based jan-april with preplanned holidays throughout. There will then be some sort of break before continuing the last stretch of training down at whatever station you originally applied for. Birmingham New Street applicants will also receive the lodging option too for the training at derby
Hi there, I could also use Kirsty’s contact information too if you could help out? Thanks
 

kaineec

New Member
Joined
5 Oct 2026
Messages
2
Location
Birmingham
Hi guys does anyone have any idea on anymore Birmingham course start dates ? Thanks

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

Hi guys does anyone have any idea on anymore Birmingham course start dates ? Thanks
 

Moglet

New Member
Joined
28 Jun 2026
Messages
4
Location
Yorkshire
Hi there, can anyone comment on the process once you've got an offer to go in the talent pool please? I was offered a place over the phone and had several calls, I then formally accepted verbally, but not heard anything since. This was about 4 weeks ago. I was expecting a confirmation email or something. Is it normal to not hear anything? I've tried following up, but can't get through to Kirsty via phone or email. I guess I probably just need to sit tight and be patient!! Any comments welcome! :)
 
Joined
16 Apr 2026
Messages
51
Location
UK
Hi there, can anyone comment on the process once you've got an offer to go in the talent pool please? I was offered a place over the phone and had several calls, I then formally accepted verbally, but not heard anything since. This was about 4 weeks ago. I was expecting a confirmation email or something. Is it normal to not hear anything? I've tried following up, but can't get through to Kirsty via phone or email. I guess I probably just need to sit tight and be patient!! Any comments welcome! :)
I think there's plenty of people in a similar predicament, and there's no single correct answer.

Mostly, it'll depend on which depot you've gone for, and when those depots are allocated spaces on courses.

As for the lack of contact from recruitment, my guess is that they're woefully under-resourced and likely staying afloat by focusing on the core work. Keeping us in the loop would be a nice-to-have, but I think "sit tight and be patient" is really all we can do whether we like it or not :lol: Some people do seem to get lucky, though, and are kept fairly well informed throughout the process.

I also don't think Andy has left the team, I think that was a bit of miscommunication in one instance. I only know of Kirsty (part time) and Andy (full time), but that's only from what I've found online.

When you say you were offered a place, were you given rough dates?
 

Moglet

New Member
Joined
28 Jun 2026
Messages
4
Location
Yorkshire
I think there's plenty of people in a similar predicament, and there's no single correct answer.

Mostly, it'll depend on which depot you've gone for, and when those depots are allocated spaces on courses.

As for the lack of contact from recruitment, my guess is that they're woefully under-resourced and likely staying afloat by focusing on the core work. Keeping us in the loop would be a nice-to-have, but I think "sit tight and be patient" is really all we can do whether we like it or not :lol: Some people do seem to get lucky, though, and are kept fairly well informed throughout the process.

I also don't think Andy has left the team, I think that was a bit of miscommunication in one instance. I only know of Kirsty (part time) and Andy (full time), but that's only from what I've found online.

When you say you were offered a place, were you given rough dates?
Thanks for your reply. After my DMI, I was offered a job at Leeds, but with no indication of course start dates. I was told I would go into the talent pool and they would speak to me when there were spaces, but couldn't indicate more than that. I'm sure Kirsty said I would get an email confirmation, but haven't heard anything since. I did try and probe a bit as I'm considering booking a holiday in Feb half term and also next summer, but I don't want to scupper any dates I might get offered. I'm trying to be patient, I suppose my biggest concern is not having anything solid in writing to confirm all this. But maybe that's normal!!?? I think it is a long process isn't it, since my initial application online, it's now been 1 year.
 
Joined
16 Apr 2026
Messages
51
Location
UK
Thanks for your reply. After my DMI, I was offered a job at Leeds, but with no indication of course start dates. I was told I would go into the talent pool and they would speak to me when there were spaces, but couldn't indicate more than that. I'm sure Kirsty said I would get an email confirmation, but haven't heard anything since. I did try and probe a bit as I'm considering booking a holiday in Feb half term and also next summer, but I don't want to scupper any dates I might get offered. I'm trying to be patient, I suppose my biggest concern is not having anything solid in writing to confirm all this. But maybe that's normal!!?? I think it is a long process isn't it, since my initial application online, it's now been 1 year.
Your situation is very similar to mine and I'm sure many others. Is it normal? Unfortunately but maybe reassuringly - yes. I'd personally crack on with life in the meantime, and don't put off booking holidays, but maybe pay the extra bit to have free cancellation.

Purely my perception based on (far too much...) reading of this forum so take with a large grain of salt, but I'd say you're in the "could be 3 months, could be 2 years, may never get to you before psychometrics expire" stage of the talent pool, which whilst fortunate to have passed all the stages, is still a very peculiar and uncertain position to be in!
 

IndegoMouse

Member
Joined
29 Jan 2026
Messages
129
Location
Warwickshire
I am pleased I am not the only one waiting! in my case it is for DMI I have not had any contact since early this year but have now pushed it to the back of mind and just hope one day I get the phone call to invite me to DMI. It is great to have so much time to prepare!
 

Moglet

New Member
Joined
28 Jun 2026
Messages
4
Location
Yorkshire
Your situation is very similar to mine and I'm sure many others. Is it normal? Unfortunately but maybe reassuringly - yes. I'd personally crack on with life in the meantime, and don't put off booking holidays, but maybe pay the extra bit to have free cancellation.

Purely my perception based on (far too much...) reading of this forum so take with a large grain of salt, but I'd say you're in the "could be 3 months, could be 2 years, may never get to you before psychometrics expire" stage of the talent pool, which whilst fortunate to have passed all the stages, is still a very peculiar and uncertain position to be in!
Yeah I think you're right! Reassuring that it seems like others are in the same situation. I think I will just crack on and get some holidays booked. I'd never even considered that it could take so long that my testing would expire :s that would be so annoying! Good luck with yours too, hopefully we get some news soon!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

I am pleased I am not the only one waiting! in my case it is for DMI I have not had any contact since early this year but have now pushed it to the back of mind and just hope one day I get the phone call to invite me to DMI. It is great to have so much time to prepare!
Yes the super long prep time is a bonus... every cloud and all that! I hope you get some news soon too 8-)
 
Joined
16 Apr 2026
Messages
51
Location
UK
Yeah I think you're right! Reassuring that it seems like others are in the same situation. I think I will just crack on and get some holidays booked. I'd never even considered that it could take so long that my testing would expire :s that would be so annoying! Good luck with yours too, hopefully we get some news soon!

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==


Yes the super long prep time is a bonus... every cloud and all that! I hope you get some news soon too 8-)
I was being a tiny bit flippant, technically possible, but I definitely wouldn't worry about it expiring! Hopefully we'll look back at these posts and laugh...:p
 

PassTheSauce

Member
Joined
7 Oct 2024
Messages
8
Location
Newcastle
It is normal to not get any written confirmation that you’re in a talent pool, just verbal. I was in the talent pool for over a year and never received any email or written confirmation of any kind. You do just have to be patient when in a talent pool.
 

Moglet

New Member
Joined
28 Jun 2026
Messages
4
Location
Yorkshire
I was being a tiny bit flippant, technically possible, but I definitely wouldn't worry about it expiring! Hopefully we'll look back at these posts and laugh...:p
hahahahaha! yeah hopefully we will be laughing at these in the not too distant future :D

== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==

It is normal to not get any written confirmation that you’re in a talent pool, just verbal. I was in the talent pool for over a year and never received any email or written confirmation of any kind. You do just have to be patient when in a talent pool.
Ah, thanks... that makes me feel better about the lack of email. I'll work on my patience skills :D. thanks again
 

Top