• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross-London ticket validity to Elephant and Castle

Status
Not open for further replies.

magd1272

Member
Joined
10 May 2012
Messages
30
A couple of weeks ago I travelled SOT - EUS on a 1st Advance, walked to St Pancras and asked the gate attendant if a Stoke - London Terminals ticket was valid for onward travel to Elephant & Castle. Without a second thought he said yes, and opened the gate for me.

Subsequent research suggests Elephant isn't officially a London terminal station, though other Thameslink through stations appear to be. I repeated exactly the same journey today and asked the man at the gate, and he said I needed to use Oyster for onward travel - which I did without question.

Obviously I'm not going to travel illegally, but nor do I want to pay unnecessarily. Please could someone advise what's correct? Many thanks.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Joined
4 Feb 2010
Messages
24,467
From Stoke, Elephant & Castle is not an appropriate terminal.

On Thameslink core, you cannot use a London Terminals ticket to travel through Farringdon.

Your question is not actually about a cross-London transfer as your ticket does not include one.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,480
Location
Yorkshire
Lucky you didn't encounter an RPI as a Stoke - London Terminals ticket has no further validity from Euston.

Next time consider booking to somewhere the other side of London; the fare might not be much more.
 

magd1272

Member
Joined
10 May 2012
Messages
30
Thanks both, that's very clear and helpful. I just found/find it confusing that it says London Terminals when actually the validity is to Euston only. Out of interest, does an off peak Euston - Stoke return via any permitted route offer greater flexibility on route or terminating station?

Given that I'd asked gate staff and specifically been told my ticket was valid, I'd have felt rather aggrieved to be handed a penalty fare, but I can imagine it would have been hellishly difficult to prove my case.
 

magd1272

Member
Joined
10 May 2012
Messages
30
Fair point, advance ticket is clearly booked train only, but I was wondering about flexibility with an off peak "any permitted route" ticket. Come to think of it, I might actually have been on an off peak return a few weeks ago, which is maybe why (correctly or not) I was allowed to travel across London on it.
 

PermitToTravel

Established Member
Joined
21 Dec 2011
Messages
3,042
Location
Groningen
You'd be allowed on any permitted route to a London Terminal. These are quite complicated to work out. For Stoke the choices are Euston, St Pancras via Derby, Marylebone via Birmingham, Paddington via Reading, or anywhere a direct train arrives in the case of diversions.
 

Tetchytyke

Veteran Member
Joined
12 Sep 2013
Messages
17,630
Location
Isle of Man
If you have a flexible ticket you can use any appropriate London Terminal. If you're travelling from Stoke these are likely to be Euston (direct), Marylebone (via Banbury), Paddington (via Banbury and Reading) and possibly St Pancras (via Derby).

Tickets to London Terminals are not valid to or via Farringdon, unless they are marked as valid on High Speed 1.
 

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Joined
6 Jun 2005
Messages
78,480
Location
Yorkshire
Thanks both, that's very clear and helpful. I just found/find it confusing that it says London Terminals when actually the validity is to Euston only.
The only reason this particular ticket is only valid to Euston is because it's only valid by the booked train(s) and appropriate connecting trains (where applicable).
Out of interest, does an off peak Euston - Stoke return via any permitted route offer greater flexibility on route or terminating station?
Yes.
Given that I'd asked gate staff and specifically been told my ticket was valid, I'd have felt rather aggrieved to be handed a penalty fare, but I can imagine it would have been hellishly difficult to prove my case.
Agreed.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top