• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country qualified driver vacancies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HappyDriver99

Member
Joined
1 Sep 2023
Messages
12
Location
Nottingham
Hello all

Just wondering if anyone can give me some info on Cross Country trains specifically Derby depot.

- Do vacancies for qualified drivers come up often or can it be a long wait?

- Any info on rosters/RD patterns.
- Is rest day work plenty?
- Any general T&C info.

Thanks in advance!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

class 9

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
1,078
Routes, Bristol to Newcastle and various diversions.
4 day roster, but Committed Sundays outside the working week.
RDW not much, vast majority of the RDW is at Birmingham.
Not many conditions, unlimited movement off spare.
Traction: Voyagers only from September 18th.
Qualified vacancies come up now & again in conjunction with trainee positions, it's quite a senior depot, so likely more vacancies In the next few years.
 

Crazyb

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2014
Messages
178
Routes, Bristol to Newcastle and various diversions.
4 day roster, but Committed Sundays outside the working week.
RDW not much, vast majority of the RDW is at Birmingham.
Not many conditions, unlimited movement off spare.
Traction: Voyagers only from September 18th.
Qualified vacancies come up now & again in conjunction with trainee positions, it's quite a senior depot, so likely more vacancies In the next few years.
Unlimited movement, sod that.....So if your 14:00 spare, you could be Am's or nights, I take it.......They must have been clapping their hands, XC management, when ASLEF sold that off!!!!
 

lammergeier

Member
Joined
5 Oct 2017
Messages
505
Unlimited movement, sod that.....So if your 14:00 spare, you could be Am's or nights, I take it.......They must have been clapping their hands, XC management, when ASLEF sold that off!!!!
It's not like that. There are other restrictions, such as the fact you have to finish within 11 hours of your datum booking on time. (So, if you are 12.00 spare, you couldn't be allocated a job which finishes after 23.00). There are less restrictions surrounding booking on earlier, but in reality it's very unusual to be brought in more than a few hours earlier than your spare time due to the way the base roster is formed. I think the most I've even been moved in many years at XC is about 4 hours and that was once.
 

class 9

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2010
Messages
1,078
Ah yes I forgot about the 11 hrs moving forward.
At my depot there's been quite a few instances recently of early PM spares moved back to 3/4 AM jobs, usually Mondays
 

Crazyb

Member
Joined
6 Dec 2014
Messages
178
It's not like that. There are other restrictions, such as the fact you have to finish within 11 hours of your datum booking on time. (So, if you are 12.00 spare, you couldn't be allocated a job which finishes after 23.00). There are less restrictions surrounding booking on earlier, but in reality it's very unusual to be brought in more than a few hours earlier than your spare time due to the way the base roster is formed. I think the most I've even been moved in many years at XC is about 4 hours and that was once.
I was going to say that was a bit harsh....Cheers
 

driverface

New Member
Joined
18 Jan 2023
Messages
4
Location
Leeds
I'm looking for in at XC in Leeds, qualified. But I notice they are recruiting for trainees only?
A bit disturbing for me, as it seems LNER have also gone down this route - not recruiting qualifieds either.
Seems strange to me - they always used to only take qualified and not trainees.
Rumours has it, at least with LNER, the government are subsidising taking trainees?
 

irish_rail

On Moderation
Joined
30 Oct 2013
Messages
4,527
Location
Plymouth
I'm looking for in at XC in Leeds, qualified. But I notice they are recruiting for trainees only?
A bit disturbing for me, as it seems LNER have also gone down this route - not recruiting qualifieds either.
Seems strange to me - they always used to only take qualified and not trainees.
Rumours has it, at least with LNER, the government are subsidising taking trainees?
I've heard the same, not just XC but across the board. They get subsidy from the Governemnt to take on "apprentice" drivers instead of qualifieds. I suppose its another way of punishing qualified drivers for daring to go on strike.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top