• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Cross Country HST diagrams summer 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

MCR247

Established Member
Joined
7 Nov 2008
Messages
10,292
First Group will have some spare if they lose FGW...

Nah, they'll probably sell them back to the DfT/the new holder, blackmailling the DfT does'nt go down well......

*Ahem* Virgin *Ahem*
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoe

Established Member
Joined
22 Aug 2008
Messages
5,905
Will they actually go to XC though and not just be scrapped? The life extension to keep them in service from 2020 will be expensive. Yes HSTs are to be retained on Westcountry services and the Midland Main Line but I'm not sure the others will go to XC.
 

ValleyLines142

Established Member
Joined
25 Jul 2011
Messages
7,040
Location
Gloucester
They are if you are travelling for more than an hour or so (IMO), or if you would like to get a seat on a busier service.

I think the problem with Voyagers on busy services is that they are quite crowded, but they should follow EMT's tracks with the Meridians and extend then to 7/8 carriages (although contradictory to that point CrossCountry are essentially doing that by double-forming their 220's). My friend commutes from Birmingham to Manchester every day and loves the Voyagers. A solution will work out one day :D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Yep the 1723 from Plymouth yesterday was a crappy Voyager. I arrived at Plymouth station at just after 5, went through to platform 4 and saw it sat there waiting to start the 1723 service. "Oh for...... goodness sake. I'm not getting on that rubbish. " I thought to myself. So instead I travelled back to Bristol via the services I mentioned in my previous post. I did see what the 1954 XC service from Taunton was, but it was another bloody Voyager! In the end I didn't arrive back into Bristol untill 2155. Could have got back at 1927 if I got on that Voyager at 1723. But I really hate travelling on those things for various reasons, that I travel via alternative services/routes to avoid travelling on them. They are the ONLY trains running on the UK network that I would goto such lengths to avoid travelling on them.

Crosscountry ought to bring back more HST's on their services. They are far more suitable for long distance journeys than those Voyager things. Weren't they once running EIGHT HST sets per day?


Ah, now I love the Voyagers, admittedly the old 'smelly toilet' issue may arise! But people who live in say North Wales who want to get to London can only travel on a Voyager.

I've travelled on many Voyagers in my time, I've done 1V71 (17:08 Edinburgh - Bristol) from Newcastle at 18.40 on 221133 and I arrived at Bristol Parkway at 00:04. That was a nice journey. I would much preferred to have done it on a Voyager as opposed to a HST. And I've also travelled on 220025 on 1E79 (06:02 Guildford - Newcastle) from Sheffield, and on 221119 on 1O22 (14:27 Manchester Piccadilly - Bournemouth) to Birmingham. I even will be doing 1V60, the 08:20 Aberdeen - Penzance as far as Exeter :)

My liking for the Voyagers is probably down the fact that I'm from Cardiff and we only see one Voyager a day (1M25, 07:00 to Manchester Piccadilly) so we make the most of them. Maybe if I lived in Bristol, who is serves by Voyagers twice an hour, then I'd get bored, but maybe not. The sound and engine is amazing! I even travelled to Birmingham in March on the Voyager (220016) (which does take 20 minutes longer as it travels via Bristol) as opposed to a Nottingham service via Gloucester. They are VERY nice I think!

So you purposefully waited for a HST?! really? The majority of services are Voyager operates now! :P
 

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Joined
16 Nov 2009
Messages
31,126
Location
Redcar
but they should follow EMT's tracks with the Meridians and extend then to 7/8 carriages

The only reasons EMT were able to do that was because their 222s were delivered in 4 and 9 car formations meaning they were able to take vehicles out of the 9 car units and increase the length of the 4 car units. EMT didn't order any new vehicles and as XC's Voyagers are in 4/5 car formations there is no slack available to increase their length in the same way that EMT did.
 

TheBigD

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2008
Messages
2,043
Nah, they'll probably sell them back to the DfT/the new holder, blackmailling the DfT does'nt go down well......

*Ahem* Virgin *Ahem*

My money would be on transfering them to Hull Trains and then ditching the 180's.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top