sprinterguy
Veteran Member
Whilst I appreciate that this would sit better on the FGW thread over in traction and rolling stock, in my opinion both Virgin and East Coast would be far better targets for a reduction in first class capacity than FGW are: East Coasts 225 sets have more first class capacity now than they originally did (Excluding the handful of Pullman sets that used to operate in Intercity and early GNER days), and the provision of first class compared to standard on Virgins Pendolinos is simply ridiculous.This is a valid point about occupancy. One of the main reasons I like to travel
1st Class Off Peak is the availability of a "4" to yourself - the free booze is a welcome supplementary.
I hope the reduction in capacity does not extend to East Coast and Virgin.
Though at least first class on East Coast seems to be very well used whenever I travel with them, so perhaps the increase was justified.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I suppose that we will have to wait and see what the operators of the Great Western and East Coast franchises specify, but the draft layouts published in August 2012 show essentially a full carriage of first class in a 5-car set, and 2 full carriages of first class in a 9-car set, using composite vehicles in both instances as half of the first class driving car is taken up by the kitchen.Wonder how much of an IEP will be 1st class?
(based purely on age, friendliness and generosity!) also - I probably shouldn't give names - but a lady who has her hair tied back, wears glasses and whose name starts with "L" is always great. I know it'll be a good journey when I see her on board