• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Critical illness cover declined - 5ft11 & 20st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilts Wanderer

Established Member
Joined
21 Nov 2016
Messages
3,199
Thought I'd post this here for people's views/opinion. I am under 40 yrs of age, with no underlying health conditions besides asthma. My height is 5ft 11 and I'm between 19 and 20st in weight, which places me well inside the 'obese' BMI category.

I was recently renewing my mortgage and the advisor recommended applying for critical illness cover to insure myself against a period of illness that would see me on sick leave long term. My employer provides full sick pay for first 6 months, 50% for the following 6 months, and zero thereafter. However given that my job is at a desk and I work from home on most days (via laptop), it would have to be something pretty debilitating to see me off sick for longer than 6 months, but short of dead - which is already covered via my pension scheme.

However both my mortgage advisor and I were rather surprised to discover that my BMI number - alone - was enough for the major insurers to decline my CIC application. To clarify, we'd completed all the questions except anything relating to my asthma! Also to note, this was to cover me for a mortgage term that will be paid off before I am 50, so surely any potential health complications tgat are purely weight related would still be in the future.

Does anyone else have any experience of this? It seemed rather disproportionate to decline it entirely, given my job type and age. If I was a 50yr old builder I could maybe understand it more!
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Broucek

Member
Joined
13 Aug 2020
Messages
951
Location
UK
Something similar happened to me a few years ago. I’m an actuary (although not practicing in insurance) and it made no sense to me.
 

Dai Corner

Established Member
Joined
20 Jul 2015
Messages
6,993
Two suggestions.

If your mortgage adviser isn't an Independent Financial Adviser with access to the whole market consult an IFA who does. Different insurers have different criteria (and rates).

You won't need your cover to kick in until a year after diagnosis which should help get cover.

Secondly, see if your employer offers a group scheme. Those may not require any underwriting.
 

duncanp

Established Member
Joined
16 Aug 2012
Messages
4,856
I would second the advice to look elsewhere.

A lot depends on your medical record, which doesn't just involve your height and weight.

You may be asked to undergo a medical examination and various tests to determine how much, if any, of an extra risk you are.

It is rather like travel insurance for declared medical conditions. You declare the conditions, answer any questions, and you (usually) get a quote.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top