3 April 2016: zones 7 to 9
I set myself the objective today of grabbing every station in London’s outer zones (zones 7 to 9). This required a very early start (well far too early for a Sunday morning at least!), but anyway armed with a Zone 1-9 travel card I made my way to London City Airport station to take DLR trains
101 and 108 under the Thames to
Woolwich Arsenal DLR. There’s enough time at
Woolwich Arsenal mainline station to grab a coffee from the platform cafe (which is open surprisingly early for a Sunday) before the first train arrives.
465031 and 465020 roll in to take me to today’s first new station,
Charlton. There’s a short wait here before it’s onto
465176 and 465040 to
Maze Hill.
It’s over the footbridge here to board
465157 and 465155 to
Dartford. There’s a 20 minute wait here for my next planned move so I visit the little coffee shop for yet another caffeine hit and a croissant for breakfast, before heading back to the platforms to board double winners
465044 and
465177 to
Hither Green.
It’s then onto
465931 and
465009 to
Orpington. There’s a nice easy cross-platform transfer here onto
465019 and
465170 for
Bromley South.
Here it’s onto
319385 (nice to finally have something a bit different! I was getting bored of 465s!) to
St Mary Cray, and after a short wait it’s onto
465907 to
Swanley, which was only added to zone 8 a couple of weeks ago.
With Dartford and Swanley out of the way it’s time to head back into London, with
319218 doing the honours to
London Blackfriars. It’s straight down into the underground to pick up
LU21399 and
LU21400 for the one stop to
Mansion House, followed by
LU21493 and
LU21494 to Liverpool Street.
At the mainline station it’s straight onto
317655, heading North to
Cheshunt. One last caffeine fix is purchased on the platform before crossing over the footbridge to catch
317513 to
Waltham Cross.
Walking time now (and lovely weather it is for it!) as I make my way though the town centre, stopping off at Greggs on the way for a few lunch provisions. I eventually end up at
Theobalds Grove just in time to board 315802 back to Cheshunt. Not much to do here as it’s straight back on to Seven Sisters. I make my way to
Seven Sisters underground station to catch
LU11037 and
LU11038 for a fast run down to Euston.
Back above ground it’s onto 350103 for
Bushey, where there’s a little bit of a fester before
378215 arrives to take me the one stop to
Carpenders Park. The island platform here makes changing onto 378217 a doddle and I get off at
Watford High Street.
It’s walking time again! I make my way through Watford town centre and past some very nice houses before arriving at
Watford underground station - if it weren’t for the signs you’d think it was someone’s house! Here it’s onto
LU21091 and
LU21092 for one stop to
Croxley underground station. It’s supposed to be a 15 minute fester here, but the next train, formed of
LU21045 and
LU21046, doesn’t show up for 35 minutes! I’m only going one stop to
Moor Park and fortunately the island platform here allows me to jump into
LU21072 and
LU21071 as it’s doors are closing. I get off a
Rickmansworth.
There’s a short wait here before
165022 shows up to take me to
Chalfont and Latimer. Here there’s a change onto
LU21031 and
LU21032, allowing me to get to
Chesham (which by my reckoning is the furthest outside of London you can get on an underground train).
I have a little look around the station before hopping back on to the same train, this time to
Chorleywood. Here things start to go a bit awry. I’m keen to get these stations both for national rail and London Underground services, and this means I need a Chiltern service to take me to Amersham. A study of the timetable shows a train departing in ten minutes - perfect I think. However it never shows up and I’m left waiting for 40 minutes for
165014. The previous service was obviously cancelled (although realtimetrains claims it never existed, so it’s either lying or the timetable is wrong) and this is clear as the two car 165 is absolutely packed full of people. Luckily I’m only on for two stops to
Amersham.
There’s just enough time here to nip out of the station and across the road to the Tesco for a packet of wine gums, before returning and hopping on to
LU21079 and
LU21080. There’s just one more station left and it requires me to get back to Liverpool Street so I’m on for the long haul. It’s about an hour before I emerge at Liverpool Street and, thanks to a load of rowdy and drunk football hooligans getting on at Wembley, it’s not the most pleasant journey I’ve ever undertaken. I make my way up to the mainline platforms for the second time today and board 321314 and
321362 for a quick leap to Stratford, and then boarding
321348 and
321359 to get today’s last outer zones shack,
Brentwood.
Mission complete! I decide it’s time to reward myself with dinner. So it’s onto
321443 and
321430 back to Stratford. I head into the nearby Westfield centre and find a restaurant serving Mexican fare. With dinner and beer consumed it’s time to head back to the Travelodge. At Stratford DLR station it’s onto DLR113 and
DLR119. It’s not overly late so I decide to bail at
Abbey Road for the shack scratch, waiting ten minutes for DLR128 and DLR151 to take me to the next required station,
Star Lane.
The island platform here makes easy work of a quick double back to West Ham on
DLR86 and DLR87 (isn’t it nice when they couple consecutive units together?), and then it’s finally onto
DLR27 and DLR90 back to London City Airport.
Overall one busy day indeed, but I managed to achieve my objective of clearing all the outer zone stations - at least until they start to add more. My London coverage maps are starting to look a lot healthier too, although there is still a lot to do, particularly in South Eastern and Southern land!