crehld's short review of 2015
Well I've finally managed to catch up on last year's trip reports. So I thought it would be interesting to have a look at some basic stats for the year.
My total mileage 16,806. This was pretty impressive (I even beat Techniquest
) given I hadn't really been out on the rails properly until mid-March on account of the daughter being born last Christmas. A lot of this mileage was helped by a couple of long distance work trips (Strasbourg was over 1,500 on what was effectively mandatory moves) and a trip to Brussels which I haven't written detailed reports on. However my gratis first class trip on the Highland Chieftain in April also pushed the mileage up (as well as being an enjoyable trip in its own right).
Here are the mileages from the top 5 TOCs:
Northern: 4,130 (unsurprising it's top I guess given the frequent moves between Crewe and Hellifield and the copious Northern Day Rangers I've made use of)
Virgin West Coast: 3592
London Midland: 2121
Eurostar: 1075
Virgin East Coast: 767
Arriva Trains Wales: 713 (that's a little surprising if I'm honest - looks like I've been to Chester and back a fair few times this year!)
Much progress has also been made on the route coverage front. Remember I started 2015 with this sorry state of affairs. As of 31 December, things are looking much better I'm sure you'll agree! Still lots to do though!
By my reckoning I spent £1452 on rail travel for the year (I'm not including the few tickets work bought for me in that). That sounds a lot but it actually works out at 8 pence per mile which I think is fantastic value for money. I've also received £184 in delay repay which will be put to good use...
Speaking of which, here are my tentative plans for next year (well actually it kicked off to day with a bit of Metrolink action, but more on that later):
- Plenty of Northern Day Rangers over the next couple of months as their promotion has just started again.
- A London and Thames Valley bash next week.
- A Birmingham bash the week after.
- A trip on the new Scottish borders railway in March.
- Another London bash in April.
- A potential 4 in 8 Wales Flexi Pass thingy in either May or June.
- And would you believe it, I persuaded Mrs Crehld to join me on a trip on the sleeper to Inverness (although we'll have to travel a la Kristophersen style for that trip) in the summer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
The Sainsburys is a 1 minute walk away, but is a little bit hidden, but you should find it OK. If you look on Google Maps it's due south of the station.
Well I've finally managed to catch up on last year's trip reports. So I thought it would be interesting to have a look at some basic stats for the year.
My total mileage 16,806. This was pretty impressive (I even beat Techniquest
Here are the mileages from the top 5 TOCs:
Northern: 4,130 (unsurprising it's top I guess given the frequent moves between Crewe and Hellifield and the copious Northern Day Rangers I've made use of)
Virgin West Coast: 3592
London Midland: 2121
Eurostar: 1075
Virgin East Coast: 767
Arriva Trains Wales: 713 (that's a little surprising if I'm honest - looks like I've been to Chester and back a fair few times this year!)
Much progress has also been made on the route coverage front. Remember I started 2015 with this sorry state of affairs. As of 31 December, things are looking much better I'm sure you'll agree! Still lots to do though!
By my reckoning I spent £1452 on rail travel for the year (I'm not including the few tickets work bought for me in that). That sounds a lot but it actually works out at 8 pence per mile which I think is fantastic value for money. I've also received £184 in delay repay which will be put to good use...
Speaking of which, here are my tentative plans for next year (well actually it kicked off to day with a bit of Metrolink action, but more on that later):
- Plenty of Northern Day Rangers over the next couple of months as their promotion has just started again.
- A London and Thames Valley bash next week.
- A Birmingham bash the week after.
- A trip on the new Scottish borders railway in March.
- Another London bash in April.
- A potential 4 in 8 Wales Flexi Pass thingy in either May or June.
- And would you believe it, I persuaded Mrs Crehld to join me on a trip on the sleeper to Inverness (although we'll have to travel a la Kristophersen style for that trip) in the summer.
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Sounds like a good mini-day trip, good to know about that cafe at Sainsburys as I need Neston to clear the top half of that line (Shotton to Bidston)![]()
Neston is required for me too, the Sainsburys will be very useful indeed!
The Sainsburys is a 1 minute walk away, but is a little bit hidden, but you should find it OK. If you look on Google Maps it's due south of the station.