• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Crawley to Boundary Zone 5 and onwards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jona26

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2013
Messages
273
Location
West Sussex
Looking for some clarification and advice please for my partner. He holds a monthly Zones 1-5 Travelcard on Oyster and travels usually from East Croydon to either London Bridge or Victoria.

Sometimes he needs to travel from Crawley to either of the above during the AM peak.

According to BRFares he can purchase a £9.10 SDS from Crawley to East Croydon (cheaper than to BZ5). Is this paper ticket/Travelcard combination allowed on the non-stop trains from Crawley? He wants to avoid having to get off anywhere en-route if possible.

If the above is allowable I assume the following would be also...

Sometimes it's easier for him to get to Gatwick than to Crawley. A £5.30 SDS from Gatwick to East Croydon (same price as to BZ5) and then his Travelcard on a non-stop train to London Bridge.
I appreciate splitting via PAYG from Gatwick to East Croydon is cheaper but time is more important than cost to him for this journey, hence only looking at non-stop trains.

If my assumptions above are correct I deliberately haven't looked at non-stop trains from Gatwick to Victoria for this journey as he would not be comfortable having to deal with potential challenges may encounter en-route or by using the Gatwick Express gateline at Victoria.
Many thanks in advance.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MikeWh

Established Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
15 Jun 2010
Messages
8,580
Location
Crayford
Are there any trains that do not call at East Croydon apart from the Gatwick Express?
 

Starmill

Veteran Member
Joined
18 May 2012
Messages
27,303
Location
Bolton
I appreciate splitting via PAYG from Gatwick to East Croydon is cheaper but time is more important than cost to him for this journey, hence only looking at non-stop trains.
I don't think there are any suitable non-stop trains to London Bridge?

There is a wide choice of direct trains from Crawley to London Victoria, and the single to Croydon Stations would be fine on any one of them, although they do all call at East Croydon anyway. There are also a couple of direct trains to London Bridge, the 0650 (one to avoid really, very slow) and the 0759 express.
 

Jona26

Member
Joined
2 Jan 2013
Messages
273
Location
West Sussex
Sorry. I'm trying to do this on my phone and I don't think National Rail is clearing cookies on my searches. I will re-do them regarding times, stops, etc.

As long as as the paper/Oyster Travelcard combo means he doesn't have to change if necessary en-route if I can find him a suitable train.

Thanks MikeWh and Starmill for the replies. Much appreciated.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top