Indeed, just look at Starmers atrocious accusations of the PM being "missing" as he's not brought in more restrictions.I wouldn't bet on any relaxation of restrictions - foreign travel is a soft target in the "seen to be doing something" game.
Indeed, just look at Starmers atrocious accusations of the PM being "missing" as he's not brought in more restrictions.I wouldn't bet on any relaxation of restrictions - foreign travel is a soft target in the "seen to be doing something" game.
But as each day, even hour goes by, and new 'evidence' appears, it makes the restrictions all the more a waste of time, money, and is really just futile !I wouldn't bet on any relaxation of restrictions - foreign travel is a soft target in the "seen to be doing something" game.

But as each day, even hour goes by, and new 'evidence' appears, it makes the restrictions all the more a waste of time, money, and is really just futile !
Seems sensible. Omicron is the dominant variant now throughout Western Europe. I bet Macron won't budge though, so he can thumb his nose at Johnson. The pair of them need to pack in the willy waving.Germany is apparently lifting the ban on UK citizens from 4th January. Expect other places with bans to follow suit.
I wouldn't bet on any relaxation of restrictions - foreign travel is a soft target in the "seen to be doing something" game.
I wonder what the Netherlands will do. Their border rules are bizarre, and verging on the embarrassing racist.Germany is apparently lifting the ban on UK citizens from 4th January. Expect other places with bans to follow suit.
Don’t forget that they owe us revenge, since we put them on an exclusive special “Amber-plus” naughty list back in July.I don't understand the rule in France banning 3rd country nationals from even driving through the country to go elsewhere
France has relented:I don't understand the rule in France banning 3rd country nationals from even driving through the country to go elsewhere. It seems self-defeatist as that's a lot of road users not buying French fuel or paying motorway tolls. Mind you, like almost every covid rule, it is illogical for the hell of it.
UK nationals will be allowed to travel through France if they are going to their home in an EU country during the festive period.
France suspended its Covid restriction after UK travellers faced difficulties reaching their country of residence.
I don't understand the rule in France banning 3rd country nationals from even driving through the country to go elsewhere. It seems self-defeatist as that's a lot of road users not buying French fuel or paying motorway tolls. Mind you, like almost every covid rule, it is illogical for the hell of it.
Don’t forget that they owe us revenge, since we put them on an exclusive special “Amber-plus” naughty list back in July.
I believe they are singling out the UK as only French nationals or residents (or those with compelling reasons) can enter France from the UK. This is according to the UK government website. A temporary exemption has been given to allow those residing in other EU countries to return through France after the Christmas holidays. This was meant to keep omicron at bay! France now has a higher infection rate than the UK!!So they're not just singling out the UK due to high Omicron?
If they're banning all non-EU countries that is absolutely disgusting, and worse than singling out the UK (and I say this as a remainer, but I despise the 'reverse Brexit' philosophy of certain EU leaders as much as I do Brexit). It shows that behind the nice suit and grin of Macron lies a xenophobe who is no better than Farage.
Much the same attitude really.
== Doublepost prevention - post automatically merged: ==
But it looks like it's not just 'us' as discussed above.
According to the Ministry of the Interior web page:If they're banning all non-EU countries that is absolutely disgusting, and worse than singling out the UK (and I say this as a remainer, but I despise the 'reverse Brexit' philosophy of certain EU leaders as much as I do Brexit
Countries subject to specific measures : The United Kingdom constitutes a special category of countries with active circulation of a variant, due to the specific measures applying to travel to and from this country since December 20, 2021.
“Red list”countries: Countries where active circulation of the virus is observed with the presence of variants of concern. These include the following countries: Afghanistan, Belarus, Botswana, Democratic Republic of Congo, Georgia, Nigeria, Malawi, Mauritius, Moldavia, Montenegro, Mozambique, Namibia, Pakistan, Russia, Serbia, Suriname, Tanzania, Turkey, Ukraine, United States, Zambia, Zimbabwe.
“Scarlet list”countries: Countries where there is very active circulation of the virus and discovery of a variant that may pose a risk of increased transmissibility or immune escape. These include the following countries: South Africa, Lesotho, Eswatini.
According to the Ministry of the Interior web page:
![]()
kernel (20)
Les actualités relatives aux compétences régaliennes de l'institution. La sécurité (intérieure, civile, routière), l'immigration, les collectivités territoriales, les préfectures, les cultes, les élections, sont des exemples des grandes thématiques qui font l'actualité du Ministère.mobile.interieur.gouv.fr
Red list entry is unrestricted which is why a new Scarlet Red list has been concocted. But those rules are seemingly too strict to be practicable for the U.K. which is why a special “Red Plus” category has been invented for us. Almost identical to how we invented “Amber Plus” for France because throwing them on our Red List would have been too inconvenient.
I believe they are singling out the UK as only French nationals or residents (or those with compelling reasons) can enter France from the UK. This is according to the UK government website. A temporary exemption has been given to allow those residing in other EU countries to return through France after the Christmas holidays. This was meant to keep omicron at bay! France now has a higher infection rate than the UK!!
We can't let pesky things like facts and evidence get in the way of xenophobia and heavy-handed restrictions.This was meant to keep omicron at bay! France now has a higher infection rate than the UK!!
I'd say that the pre-departure test is probably the more inconvenient one, potentially leading to having to quarantine abroad. It'd be nice if the "day 2" test could be reduced to a lateral flow, too.Saw a rumour on the web this morning that the pre departure test requirement for travel to the UK may be scrapped later on this week. I suspect that the "day 2" test once you are in the UK may still stay though.
I'd say that the pre-departure test is probably the more inconvenient one, potentially leading to having to quarantine abroad. It'd be nice if the "day 2" test could be reduced to a lateral flow, too.
Saw a rumour on the web this morning that the pre departure test requirement for travel to the UK may be scrapped later on this week. I suspect that the "day 2" test once you are in the UK may still stay though.
A step in the right direction. Now we just need the dreaded day 2 test to be scrapped. Sadly it's hard to imagine a point at which you'll ever be able to travel truly restriction-free!Saw a rumour on the web this morning that the pre departure test requirement for travel to the UK may be scrapped later on this week. I suspect that the "day 2" test once you are in the UK may still stay though.
I wonder how long until we actually see some sort of effect in the data.I wonder how long until someone passes out from dehydration.
With the ban on eating and drinking coming into effect on French public transport today (intended to address people not wearing a mask but holding an open drink bottle/cup and taking tiny sips every couple of minutes), SNCF staff have been instructed to "show discretion to passengers making very long journeys".
The mask wearing age has been changed from 11+ to 6+ at the same time.
I wonder how long until someone passes out from dehydration.
It still needs the destination country to accept us though their borders, though...That would be enough to get me going again, the fear (and expense) of being stuck abroad is quite a deterrent.
It still needs the destination country to accept us though their borders, though...
From 07•JNR•22, pre-departure and day 2 test rules for England will revert to what they were for most of October and November last year, i.e. pre-departure test will be required only for unvaccinated adults, and day 2 test may be a private LFT for all except unvaccinated adults.
This was announced to Parliament this afternoon.
The devolved nations may update it in due course.
Good to hear - I am out of the country at the moment.
Common sense prevails.....lets hope they stay scrapped, they really do not serve any purpose, apart from stress ! There is no way you can stop any illness / virus arriving,From 07•JNR•22, pre-departure and day 2 test rules for England will revert to what they were for most of October and November last year, i.e. pre-departure test will be required only for unvaccinated adults, and day 2 test may be a private LFT for all except unvaccinated adults.
This was announced to Parliament this afternoon.
The devolved nations may update it in due course.