• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Covid restrictions abroad: updates & observations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
There has just been a piece on the local Barcelona news pointing out the lack of mask wearing on trains and the Metro. Couldn’t tell the ‘tone’ of it as it was in Catalan. Even the burly security guards on trains have only told people to put them on one in four times.
Ii did wonder what it might be like when I visit Tarragona in October.
Not planning much public transport use though.
 

Hans

Member
Joined
4 May 2022
Messages
125
Location
UK
You were very, very lucky.Believe me.
I am sure there was a large part of luck involved, but it was interesting my wife and I were in Germany at differing times and both managed not to be challenged about wearing a mask. I was on a cross border train at one point, German police boarded the train to check passports, not one of them mentioned me not wearing a mask.
 

43096

On Moderation
Joined
23 Nov 2015
Messages
18,854
I returned at the weekend from two weeks in the USA, and only had to wear a mask once. Most areas are now making them "optional", but for some reason in New York they're still mandatory on public transport - the majority didn't wear one, including staff and Police; just had one Metro North guard who was making people wear them. What is it about city mayors (see also London and Vienna) and masks?
 

Mainline421

Member
Joined
7 May 2013
Messages
910
Location
Aberystwyth
Interesting comment about German trains - just another perspective, wife and I have both had trips to Germany over the last couple of months and travelled on many German trains, mainly ICE in first class. Neither of us wore a mask at any point and were never challenged. As with all these restrictions, I expect it depends on the people and staff involved.

The longest journey I did, there were plenty of mostly men (including me!) drinking beer whilst using laptops. When tickets were checked, or DB staff came through the conversation from the staff was more "you must be near to getting another beer" than "wear a mask".
This was my experince too, including the police at the border as well. Although I passed through Germany on a Nightjet this week and while no one on my train wore masks or said anything, compliance did seem high on the DB trains we passed.
 

Segedunum

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Joined
22 Dec 2013
Messages
4,754
Location
Up North
Amsterdam Schiphol is obsessed still with social distancing signage. As far as I can tell there aren't any actual rules, either.

I noticed Sweden still had a lot of similar signage up on trains but rather a more different "respect each others space" sort of tone.

Finland and Estonia, nothing at all. Everything back to normal.
 

nedchester

Established Member
Joined
28 May 2008
Messages
2,093
I returned at the weekend from two weeks in the USA, and only had to wear a mask once. Most areas are now making them "optional", but for some reason in New York they're still mandatory on public transport - the majority didn't wear one, including staff and Police; just had one Metro North guard who was making people wear them. What is it about city mayors (see also London and Vienna) and masks?
The only place(s) in the USA I found they were obsessed about masks was the National Parks (on buses and boats) and inside some places run by the same.
 

kristiang85

Established Member
Joined
23 Jan 2018
Messages
2,744
I'm still trying to work out Nicaragua's mask rules, despite being here for 3 weeks now.

In taxis you need to wear them, but not buses.

Hotel receptions differ on their rules, with about 50/50 so far.

I've been allowed in cathedrals without a mask, but had to wear one when on the roof of one.

Shops and restaurants are fine without masks, but you have to wear one when you're own your own in an ATM vestibule.

It's so odd.
 

Razorblades

Member
Joined
17 Dec 2021
Messages
454
Location
Copshaw Holm, Scottish Borders
I'm still trying to work out Nicaragua's mask rules, despite being here for 3 weeks now.

In taxis you need to wear them, but not buses.

Hotel receptions differ on their rules, with about 50/50 so far.

I've been allowed in cathedrals without a mask, but had to wear one when on the roof of one.

Shops and restaurants are fine without masks, but you have to wear one when you're own your own in an ATM vestibule.

It's so odd.

It really isn't 'odd,' it's control, madness - perpetrated by servants of the people. About time the rest of society stopped humouring these big babies.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Just a final note from my very enjoyable holiday in Barcelona. The flight back was on Vueling, a Spanish airline under the BA/Iberia umbrella. Policeman at the gate ensuring everyone put a mask on. Most people kept them on during the flight, a lot below the nose. I would like to say I rebelled and took mine off, but I fell asleep for most of the journey, so I don’t know if the cabin crew enforced it.
 

greyman42

Established Member
Joined
14 Aug 2017
Messages
5,368
Just a final note from my very enjoyable holiday in Barcelona. The flight back was on Vueling, a Spanish airline under the BA/Iberia umbrella. Policeman at the gate ensuring everyone put a mask on. Most people kept them on during the flight, a lot below the nose. I would like to say I rebelled and took mine off, but I fell asleep for most of the journey, so I don’t know if the cabin crew enforced it.
Obviously not if you did not wear yours.
I would not say you rebelled, you just behaved normally.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
Forgot about them! Guessing forgot Spain too!
Those three are the only remaining outliers in Europe. They surely can't hold out forever - though Germany's locktivist Health Minister is clearly trying very hard, having demonstrated the ridiculously unscientific nature of the mask mandate by extending it to a random date in April.

The German government is also talking about reintroducing restrictions in October. They have clearly gone absolutely bonkers.
 

Richard Scott

Established Member
Associate Staff
International Transport
Railtours & Preservation
Joined
13 Dec 2018
Messages
4,583
Those three are the only remaining outliers in Europe. They surely can't hold out forever - though Germany's locktivist Health Minister is clearly trying very hard, having demonstrated the ridiculously unscientific nature of the mask mandate by extending it to a random date in April.

The German government is also talking about reintroducing restrictions in October. They have clearly gone absolutely bonkers.
Agreed, really can't believe their persistence with this.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
what about their requirements when entering the country?
Those were lifted at the start of July.

That leaves the Netherlands and Luxembourg as the only countries in Europe with Covid-related entry restrictions. And Germany, Italy and Spain as the remaining outliers with public transport mask mandates.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Spain requires forms for those from the UK too.
It requires a vaccination certificate or proof of COVID in the last six months. If you are unvaccinated you need to take a test and fill in a form, otherwise you don’t:

 

westv

Established Member
Joined
29 Mar 2013
Messages
4,411
It requires a vaccination certificate or proof of COVID in the last six months. If you are unvaccinated you need to take a test and fill in a form, otherwise you don’t:

Yes, so a form in some form for everybody (UK) then.
 

johnnychips

Established Member
Joined
19 Nov 2011
Messages
3,826
Location
Leeds
Yes, so a form in some form for everybody (UK) then.
Ah, I see what you mean. The vaccination certificate is really easy to get on your phone though if you have the NHS app. It was asked for, but only glanced at.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
Spain requires forms for those from the UK too.
Apologies, overlooked that. Spain therefore has the dubious honour of being the only country in Europe to require vaccine passports or tests as well as mandating face masks on public rransport.

Still, it's only a very small number of countries that have these requirements so it's easy enough to avoid them.
 

Hans

Member
Joined
4 May 2022
Messages
125
Location
UK
Ah, I see what you mean. The vaccination certificate is really easy to get on your phone though if you have the NHS app. It was asked for, but only glanced at.
Certificates are only easy on your phone if you are vaccinated! Travelling to those EU countries with remaining restrictions can be ignored if travelling from another EU country.
 

DanNCL

Established Member
Joined
17 Jul 2017
Messages
5,123
Location
County Durham
Can anyone shed light on what the rules around masks are on Wiener Linien please? Their website still mentions FFP2 masks but it doesn't seem to have been updated for a while.
 

sheff1

Established Member
Joined
24 Dec 2009
Messages
6,060
Location
Sheffield
Those three are the only remaining outliers in Europe.
As has been highlighted, those 3 countries have been under popular (with a large % or even majority of citizens) facist rule in living memory.

Meanwhile I have been in Denmark & Sweden this month - completely back to normal as far as I saw and no sign of any (immigration, not covid) Swedish police checks on the Oresund route either, despite on board announcements that they were still in place.
 

P Binnersley

Member
Joined
30 Dec 2018
Messages
533
Can anyone shed light on what the rules around masks are on Wiener Linien please? Their website still mentions FFP2 masks but it doesn't seem to have been updated for a while.

FFP2 masks are still required on public transport in Vienna, but not elsewhere in Austria.

  • FFP 2 masks are no longer mandatory in essential shops and when using public transport in all Austrian federal provinces except for Vienna.
  • In Vienna only, FFP 2 masks remain compulsory on public transport and in pharmacies.
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,772
Location
UK
As has been highlighted, those 3 countries have been under popular (with a large % or even majority of citizens) facist rule in living memory.

Meanwhile I have been in Denmark & Sweden this month - completely back to normal as far as I saw and no sign of any (immigration, not covid) Swedish police checks on the Oresund route either, despite on board announcements that they were still in place.
Indeed that has been my experience of the Nordics too. Very little Covid signage and perhaps 1% of people wearing masks, if that. Definitely a more 'back to normal' position than the UK, let alone other parts of the world!
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top