• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Coventry-Edinburgh 1743 7 June 2022: on board upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Joined
5 Feb 2016
Messages
215
Afternoon all,

I'm booked on the 1743 from Coventry to Edinburgh later this afternoon. It's not on seatfrog, I can't find any information about upgrading to first class or standard plus on the Avanti website, and I'm in a meeting so can't make a call!

Can anyone let me know if I can do a first class (or standard plus) upgrade on board? I have a standard advance ticket.
 
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
Afternoon all,

I'm booked on the 1743 from Coventry to Edinburgh later this afternoon. It's not on seatfrog, I can't find any information about upgrading to first class or standard plus on the Avanti website, and I'm in a meeting so can't make a call!

Can anyone let me know if I can do a first class (or standard plus) upgrade on board? I have a standard advance ticket.
I don't think Seattoad is available on Voyagers, and Standard Premium definitely isn't.

You'd be able to upgrade onboard, but it'll be the difference between what you've paid and the walk up 1st class fare. Or, to put it differently, assuming no railcards held, £364.10-whatever you've paid. Not likely to be cheap!
 

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Joined
26 Sep 2020
Messages
16,814
Location
UK
Afternoon all,

I'm booked on the 1743 from Coventry to Edinburgh later this afternoon. It's not on seatfrog, I can't find any information about upgrading to first class or standard plus on the Avanti website, and I'm in a meeting so can't make a call!

Can anyone let me know if I can do a first class (or standard plus) upgrade on board? I have a standard advance ticket.
Unfortunately that service is formed of a Voyager, so there's no Standard Premium. You can upgrade to First class if you like, but it will cost you the full difference between the cost of your Advance and the walkup First class fare (£364 o_O).

In theory you could change your Advance to a First class one, but there are none left on that train anymore. Alternatively you could pay the difference to the walkup First class fare (£364 o_O), or buy brand new walkup tickets, splitting at Wolverhampton, Crewe and Wigan for £218.50.

I think I'd stick to coach D/K, which have sliding tables at every seat. Virgin Trains intended for it to be something akin to today's SP when they placed the Voyager order, but it never came to pass under their tenure. Perhaps understandably, Avanti have kept those coaches as standard, being as there would otherwise be just 3/6 coaches of standard on a Voyager service.
 
Last edited:

185143

Established Member
Joined
3 Mar 2013
Messages
5,370
You can upgrade to Standard Premium onboard, just take a seat and the Train Manager will take payment (probably after Wolverhampton). The upgrade will cost £25.

You can upgrade to First class if you like, but it will cost you the full difference between the cost of your Advance and the walkup First class fare (£364 o_O). In theory you could change your Advance to a First class one, but there are none left on that train anymore. Alternatively you could buy brand new walkup tickets, splitting at Wolverhampton, Crewe and Wigan for £218.50.

I think I'd go with SP!
Not on Voyagers you can't. Otherwise I'd agree entirely! And that's coming from someone who strongly disagrees with the SP concept.
 
Joined
5 Feb 2016
Messages
215
I don't think Seattoad is available on Voyagers, and Standard Premium definitely isn't.

You'd be able to upgrade onboard, but it'll be the difference between what you've paid and the walk up 1st class fare. Or, to put it differently, assuming no railcards held, £364.10-whatever you've paid. Not likely to be cheap!
The ticket was £19.70, looks like I'll be slumming it in standard...
 

AlterEgo

Verified Rep - Wingin' It! Paul Lucas
Joined
30 Dec 2008
Messages
29,669
Location
LBK
£19.70 is a steal, good heavens!
 
Joined
5 Feb 2016
Messages
215
I was in the right place at the right time I suppose! In the end coach D on an Avanti Voyager isn't too bad, mostly because I'm right next to the bar.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top