• Our new ticketing site is now live! Using either this or the original site (both powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Court Summons Mistake?

Status
Not open for further replies.

enrichedmelk

New Member
Joined
22 Dec 2024
Messages
2
Location
Yorkshire
**UPDATE**
So after doing some digging, I found the details of the expired railcard incident explained below (and checked my bank) - and I didn’t pay the fine, it was a parking ticket I was thinking of.

I typed the reference into Northern Rail and it’s still giving me the option to pay (£105) - is this valid?

Now I’m certain this is the incident they they are referring to, it still doesn’t explain the mix up with the locations as this journey was Stalybridge to Manchester Piccadilly (but may be the reason for the price discrepancy?)

Or why this is the first letter I have received since my appeal (explaining I did not realise the expiry date was a few days earlier and bought a new card the same day) - for further context the only letter I received was the original fine which I appealed via email, and the last correspondence I received regarding the matter was on May 15th, stating:

“Thank you for your email. This matter has been assessed and a fixed penalty letter was sent to you on 9 May.

This fixed penalty stands and payment must be made to prevent this matter from proceeding.”

Original Post:

Hello, as the title suggests I have just received a court summons - more specifically a ‘new court date’ see attached. I am shocked as this is the first I am hearing of the matter, I have had no previous correspondence.

The incident on the letter is dated April 18th, so I went to check my Trainline app to see if/what tickets I bought that day. The app shows that day I bought a ticket from Manchester Victoria to Manchester Oxford Road (rail card price shown in attachment), where the letter claims I travelled from Manchester Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly ‘with intent to avoid payment of £5.10’ - but I have no recollection of this happening at all (I travel to and from Manchester multiple times a week)

*for context the difference between these stations is literally 1 stop, 4mins. the direct train route being: Victoria > Oxford Road > Piccadilly*

The specific ticket I bought requires a change at Salford Cresent, so there’s a possibility I got on the wrong connection - but again, whilst this was 6 months ago, I have no recollection of this happening and I’m certain I would if I’d been stopped for having an incorrect ticket or ‘avoiding payment’ - so is it possible to be fined without an in person exchange first?

What are my options? Could there have been a mix up? I worry that I can’t say for certain and I don’t know how I would even go about proving I did not take that journey - other than showing the ticket I bought; does the court have to prove I did take the journey they claim? If I was stopped by an inspector or ticket clerk I am sure I would remember this.

The only similar experience I’ve had was travelling (mindlessly) with an expired railcard, and I was stopped at the ticket barrier - details taken - fined and paid immediately upon receiving the (£100) fine. I don’t know if this would be in my favour with regards to not having received any previous correspondence regarding this matter, as I would have done the same again and paid right away if I’d have known.

Worried to death as I’ve never been to court for anything before (let alone a £5 ticket) - maybe a silly question but is it too late to offer to pay?

Any advice or similar experiences would be greatly appreciated!!! Thankyou
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0876.jpeg
    IMG_0876.jpeg
    250.3 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_0872.jpeg
    IMG_0872.jpeg
    631.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,298
@enrichedmelk. Welcome to the forum.

Hmmm. Something doesn't seem quite right. Some questions/observations...

Assuming you know nothing about this...

• Was it you that got stopped? I'm sure you'd have remembered. Might it have been an acquaintance of yours who was stopped and has falsely given your details?

• Not sure how the unpaid fare supposedly due is £5.10. An undiscounted Anytime Day Single between Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly would have been £3.20 in April 2024. For the fare due to have been £5.10, the journey would have needed to have originated from some other Greater Manchester area station.

Likely that others on here may have some further observations...
 

Pushpit

Member
Joined
18 Nov 2023
Messages
607
Location
UK
It's interesting that this was adjourned in order to ensure a summons was issued. It suggests there was an earlier hearing but someone noticed something wasn't right with the original paperwork.

I suspect you best try to have a conversation on Monday with court staff - though it may take a while for them to work out what has gone wrong here. My understanding is that if this is the first you've heard of it, you can request a further adjournment, if that is necessary for you to see the full paperwork.
 

MotCO

Established Member
Joined
25 Aug 2014
Messages
6,133
There is usually a 6 month limit on bringing cases to Court - is there anything on the letter (covered up) which states when the first summons was issued?
 

enrichedmelk

New Member
Joined
22 Dec 2024
Messages
2
Location
Yorkshire

@enrichedmelk. Welcome to the forum.

Hmmm. Something doesn't seem quite right. Some questions/observations...

Assuming you know nothing about this...

• Was it you that got stopped? I'm sure you'd have remembered. Might it have been an acquaintance of yours who was stopped and has falsely given your details?

• Not sure how the unpaid fare supposedly due is £5.10. An undiscounted Anytime Day Single between Manchester Victoria and Manchester Piccadilly would have been £3.20 in April 2024. For the fare due to have been £5.10, the journey would have needed to have originated from some other Greater Manchester area station.

Likely that others on here may have some further observations...
Hey! Thanks for getting back to me, I’ve since updated the post as I’ve discovered new information - which may explain the difference in fares you’ve quoted here
 

John R

Established Member
Joined
1 Jul 2013
Messages
6,131
I typed the reference into Northern Rail and it’s still giving me the option to pay (£105) - is this valid?

If the option to pay is there, then I would be inclined to pay it asap, to avoid what might be a lot of hassle, and the risk of ending up with a criminal conviction and a much greater cost.
 

signed

Established Member
Joined
13 May 2024
Messages
2,388
Location
ROI
Pay it ASAP.

On your hearing day, go as early as possible to the court, and ask the court staff to speak to the Train Company prosecutor to sort this out.
 

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Joined
8 Jan 2009
Messages
17,298
@enrichedmelk. £5.10 would have been the price of an undiscounted Anytime Day Single from Stalybridge to Manchester in April/May. Surprised that you didn't mention, in your original, unamended, post, an incident of having been stopped whilst using a discounted ticket with an expired railcard, if that's what's actually happened. Still think the court documentation is wrong to state that £5.10 is the unpaid fare due for a journey from Manchester Victoria to Manchester Piccadilly, but apart from that possible technicality, would suggest, as @John R and @signed have already said, that you now pay up, in full, if you still can, before you end up in court.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top